PDA

View Full Version : For Lock-n-Load

marinemom
11-15-04, 06:26 AM
As I posted in the Birthday thread, I was invited to the Alexandria Police Department Marine Association luncheon on November 11th, where the guest of honor was General Albert Mason Gray - 29th Commandant, 1987 - 1991.

My digital camera must have been made by Air Force elves, as the pictures I took to post did not come out, so I do apoligize to Lock-n-Load for not having any to show you all... but there are at least 2 other folks who took shots and I will try to snag those for posting.

The only difference in the General is that now he is white-haired, not red. THe air of confidence and command was amazing. He wore a blazer made of the current digital cammie cloth - I guess when you have been the Commandant, they cannot tell you you can't have that stuff, lol.

I wanted to share two things with the rest of you.. shows the kind of man General Gray is...

When he was asked by one of the former Marines about being a mustang, the reply was this ...." in my day you had to take two tests to become a Staff Sergeant - one was general knowledge and one was technical. My butt was stuck on Okinawa and I could not get the new technical manual, so I flunked the test. The brass decided that if I couldn't make Staff, they'd make me a second lieutenant..and they did."

The second - I had purchased a history of the Corps book for my son - tigger - who is now serving at Fallujah. So - and I admit with a bit of nerves - I asked General Gray if he would autograph it for the kid. He immediately took out his pen, took the book from me and turned to the page with his picture in the section on Commandants.

He asked for Christopher's rank and wrote the following inscription - and I have put this exactly as he wrote it -

"For Corporal Christopher Hennig - Marine Warrior!!!! - Many thanks for the superb efforts of you and Warriors - what you are doing for our Country and for our Nation's Corps of Marines! Keep charging! God Bless - and Semper Fidelis - Al Gray, Marine"

A personalized inscription - not just an autograph - what a man, what a Marine!

MillRatUSMC
11-15-04, 08:05 AM
Yes, General Al Gray USMC is the Marine that went through boot camp.
He the only Commandant who's Commandant protrait is in cammies.
I think he was stating that he was and is a "Warrior" and he was the first to make changes in boot camp.
The "Crucible" would have to wait for General Charles Krulak USMC.
Marimemom, thanks for sharing...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo