PDA

View Full Version : Poolee Functions

layedoutsdime
11-14-04, 12:35 PM
Hey im in the DEP program in Buffalo NY and i was just wondering what other poolee's do at their montly gatherings. In Buffalo we have been on the presidents helicopter, Had an MRE picnic, and this month were going to the 3rd Battallion 25th Marines Reserve station and shooting the M16's and pistol sidearms. Just a little curious to what others were doing,

DJ

eicyak
11-14-04, 01:04 PM
Wow, our poolee functions are a whole lot different. All we do is work-out and maybe, MAYBE discuss the Marines, things like what you can and can't wear in uniform; promotions; leave and liberty, and things like that. We do a wide variety of exercises, hard ones, ones where we are sore for the next few days, and run a few miles, usually 3-4 miles, sometimes more sometimes less, sometimes up and down stairways. On Saturdays, once in a while we go RUNNING up a mountain, all the way up, all the way down, along with some sprints and other exercises. We sometimes have returning (new) Marines come back to visit and after the work-out, answer questions on boot camp. That concludes all we do, no traveling to bases, or going aboard helicopers. All we do is work-out. And, I should mention this is Phoenix, AZ. Good luck!

JennyM
11-14-04, 01:11 PM
In Harrisburg, PA we have all female pool fcns once a quarter. They rock. all the females from the Harrisburg station get together and do an IST then a moto run, then we talk about female boot camp. and sometimes the SGT Major buys us all mre's. he says "chow is on him" lol they are really cool. Lately, we've just been running together with candences and then stopping to do different things. like first stop we do crunches, run .5 miles do flexed arm hang, run .5 miles flutterkicks and hello dollies, etc. our sgt major ROCKS he really gets us motivated. Then usually a female that is on boot leave gives us advice and tips about boot camp like what to bring/what not to bring... etc i love the female pool fcns. THe regular monthly ones we just do an IST and then they play football. which sucks. all the girls just sit out and we go over knowledge or take a walk til the boys are done their silly games. This past Sat however, after all was done we celebrated the Marine Corps b-day. One of the recruiters' wives baked a cake and my recruiter cut it with his sword and the oldest poolee gave a piece to the youngest poolee and we heard the commandant's message and etc. it was cool.

Arlene Horton
11-14-04, 04:11 PM
OORAH...when I was a boot (one long time ago!) we didn't do any of that! The female Marines of this era are gettomg some outstanding training. Not that we wouldn't have been able to do the current order of business in Boot Camp. Years ago we were treated like "Southern Ladies" by the D.I.s. Even though the bulk of my platoon was northern U.S. and Hawaiian. After seeing the programs on cable about the new boot camp, including the crucible, I get pains in my lumbar laminectomy!!! My sincere thanks to all the female Poolies who get through Boot and are entitled to be called MARINES. Semper Fi...

DeNichilo 0300
11-14-04, 06:24 PM
WE have a function everyweekend when the weather permits and sometimes even if it doesnt we still have it.

It usually consist of the full IST and then we have a fun recreational sports with the poolees and the recruiters, basketball , flag football and other sports. This is RSS Jersey City, NJ .

A side question, about how many poolees show up to the funtion at any givin function, just wanna see how big everyones RSS is. We usually have around 30 poolees.

layedoutsdime
11-14-04, 07:19 PM
Oh we do the running and out IST's too, i was just rambling about the fun stuff on the side... RSS Buffalo has between 25 and 40 poolees depending on when people are shipping. Some guys i only see once. (ive been in the DEP since 20040504)

eicyak
11-15-04, 12:01 AM
It seems everyone's poolee functions are better than mine. I am a female, just thought I should mention. Like I said, all we do is PT. Sometimes, we don't stop ptin' till a certain amount (5) of poolees puke. I've puked, I know many others who have also. The recruiters call it 'feeding the ants.' I wish I could go aboard the presidential helicopter or play sports at the pool function, maybe more people would come. We usually have a turn out of around 20 poolees and most times we only see a poolee once, we are lucky if we see them again. Most find the work-outs to damn difficult. 5+ mile run, 75 4-count flutter kicks, 150 4-count side straddle hops, 35-stargazers (that hurts), ect (seriously they made us do this many before, no exaggeration). We go for hours. I've never missed a day, strongest female there, only female there everytime (there's usually about 3 other females that show up, most skip a few weeks and show up sometime, there are quite a bit of females in the program).

DeNichilo 0300
11-15-04, 11:51 AM
yea well even though you may hate it , all that Pt will help on the island, youll thank your recruiters someday lol

Pel
11-15-04, 01:09 PM
RSS Grand Rapids, MI. We have poolee meetings on Tuesdays and Wensdays. Once a month we play frisbee and once a month we do a PFT and a IST. We usually have about 50 people at the meetings and it almost always starts off with boot camp stories from Marines returning from boot camp. Than we write two boot camp letters. Recruits always get mail thats for sure. Than a knowledge test. Than 3-8 mile runs. Log Drills, IT. No matter the weather were outside. If it aint raining we aint training. So by that point we can barely move so what do we do? A group of poolees and I go for a run. Than we head over to steak and shake and put back on all the weight we may have lost. Bowling or a movie. The bowling if you get a gutter ya need to do 20 Marine Corps push ups.

eicyak
11-15-04, 08:11 PM
Hey, I don't hate it. I know others do. I'm just pointing out the fact that we have to exercise while layoutsdime (dj) gets to tour the presidential helicopter, had picnics, and gets to fire tha M16. I want to do that too. I am one of the few at the recruiting station who actually enjoys the pool functions. No complaint intended.

slaga630
11-17-04, 10:55 PM
We have about 50 poolees and one time we did some combat cardio we had a retired recon Marine and he trains a lot of the swat teams around here and we did that for a couple hours it is interesting to learn some of the moves you can learn to take a guy out to know that it doesnt require enourmus strenght

That was a fun day

eicyak
11-20-04, 09:11 PM
Dang, I wish I had the opportunity to do that.

LivinSoFree
11-20-04, 09:12 PM
Don't worry... you'll get your chance... 3 words: Combat Conditioning Course. You'll learn to love and hate it.

Pvt Drake
11-21-04, 11:13 PM
Hah, yeah bwt was a fun week.

LivinSoFree
11-21-04, 11:14 PM
Man... the Combat Endurance Course (not to be confused with the Combat Conditioning Course) was, I think, the biggest break-off in the whole 13 weeks we were there... that thing was hardcore... but motivating.

drillinstructor
11-22-04, 12:56 PM
eicccccc you are tooo funnny

drillinstructor
11-22-04, 12:58 PM
AND OH BY THE WAY ONE OF YOUR POOLEES FROM PHOENIX IS IN MY PLATOON. HE HAS BEEN PROMOTED TO RECRUIT NOW...HAHAHAHA HE WILL PAY

eicyak
11-22-04, 10:25 PM
Hey di, smoke him di smoke him. Next time you quarter deck him, make it extra tough just for me.

:dazed:

drillinstructor
11-23-04, 12:49 PM
no prob eic.........................he looks 42 and not 22 but hell that is ok all recruits are nasty anyways

FullMetalJacket
11-23-04, 05:46 PM
Our poolee functions now, about 5-6 people. Over 10 poolees have shipped in the past 2 or 3 weeks. We do an IST every wednesday evening, and talk about boot camp from a Marine who has recently graduated. Its ghost town now in RSS New Haven, but Im trying to get some people to join from two different towns.

drillinstructor
11-23-04, 08:36 PM
ok i have him on the qd right now hahe

garryh123
11-23-04, 08:44 PM
DOH!

LivinSoFree
11-23-04, 08:45 PM
^
That's seriously motivating, Drill Instructor... to think that THAT's what my senior was doing when he went into the duty hut while some of us were getting slaughtered... in retrospect, it's kinda funny. :marine:

eicyak
11-23-04, 09:29 PM
Drill Instructor, what did he do to get quater-decked?
I heard that on the quarter-deck, you have to do a variety of exercises, is that true? Is that what the qu-deck is?
:bandit:

drillinstructor
11-23-04, 10:21 PM
yes that is true eic....recruits do nothing right eic so which answer do you want he has already been to sick bay for his ear but he is going to be ok

SuNmAN
11-24-04, 08:20 PM
For his ear?

I had an ACL strain on the weekend before field week when our platoon was getting thrashed by Drill Instructor SSgt Cantu and SSgt Vest. (I fell off of the toilet stall wall...)

In subsequent days it was so painful I couldn't even bend my leg to put my trousers on in the morning (which led to more QD)

SSgt Vest then finally noticed something was wrong but I refused to go to medical. I never went to medical and was never on light duty. I never fell out of a hump and I limped my way to a 21:30 on the Series PFT on Week 10. To this day I still can't run full speed with my right knee.

This recruit is going to medical for his ear?

lmao everyone yells at recruit training anyways...he doesn't need to go to medical ! Must be weak and no heart.

eicyak
11-25-04, 08:13 PM
What's wrong with his ear? Does he get to keep his place? Can the drill instructors make you go to medical or is it an option?
:lick: