PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine killed in Iraq

Sparrowhawk
11-13-04, 07:00 PM
"Wanted to be part of the best," mother said.

http://media.mnginteractive.com/media/paper203/1113_Marine_Simpson_200.jpg
Lance Cpl. Abraham Simpson

By MONICA RODRIGUEZ
STAFF WRITER

CHINO - Abraham Simpson was a responsible young man, deeply spiritual and always ready to listen to a friend in need.
He was also a United States Marine who died in Iraq this week.

The 19-year-old Lance Corporal from Chino was killed Nov. 9 in combat in Al Anbar Province, Iraq, the U.S. Department of Defense said in a statement released Friday.

"He wanted to be an influence everywhere he went and he believed God was going to use him in the Marines," said his mother Maria Simpson.

Abraham was focused. He wanted to be a Marine and then eventually to become a police officer, his mother said.

"People asked why he wanted to be in the Marines," she said. "He said he wanted to be part of the best."

Abraham graduated from Southland Christian School in Walnut in 2003. In November of his senior year, he signed up for the service.

An avid hiker, the Eagle Scout arranged to leave for boot camp in August 2003 after taking part in a few important events: Boy Scout camp, a hiking trip in the Sierra mountains and the Eagle Court of Honor ceremonies.

In June, Abraham left for Iraq. He wrote often and sent photographic images of where he worked and lived with his fellow Marines of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton.

Among Abraham's duties were working with Iraqi police and helping train them, his mother said.

In the short time he spent there, Abraham killed Iraqis, and saw comrades killed themselves, his mother said. In his letters, the family could see him maturing.

On Nov. 1, Abraham e-mailed friends and family.

"He said they would be going to Fallujah," Maria Simpson said. "He wanted to be part of the effort to rid terrorists out of Fallujah."

He asked that they watch the news.

Then, on Wednesday morning, Maria Simpson received the news of her son's death.

While standing outside her home with one of her sons, she noticed a van drive by with uniformed men inside. As it slowed past her house, she told herself they were probably looking for a home that wasn't hers.

"My heart was starting to beat faster," she said.

The van stopped, and two Marines got out.

"I knew they were coming here. I knew what they were here for," she said.

James Simpson encouraged his three sons to serve their country.

He said what his son and other soldiers are doing is important, and that parents should back their children if they wish to join the military.

"Please encourage your son to serve with honor for a just cause," James Simpson said. "I hope there aren't too many more gold stars (for parents of soldiers) but I'm proud of ours. I'm proud of our son."

He said the support of their friends, neighbors and community has been a great comfort to the family.

Outside the Simpson home Friday morning, friends assembled Christmas care packages for Abraham's fellow Marines.

It's a project the family started weeks ago.

"It's good for us right now. It's almost a therapy for us," said Kim Broer, a friend who helped prepare the packages.

She spoke of Abraham as "wise beyond his years, but every much the kid next door."

Ever the point man, he was voted senior patrol leader of his 80-member Boy Scout troop, and quickly earned the respect of the other boys and adults, she said.

Jacque Gibbons, 21, who met Abraham through church, said the young man was a willing listener.

With him "you felt you didn't give back as much as you received," Gibbons said.

Even while in boot camp, he made the effort to write and keep in touch, Gibbons said.

"There he is in the middle of preparing for service, and he took the time to write," she said.

Monica Rodriguez can be reached by e-mail m_rodriguez@dailybulletin.com or by phone at (909) 483-9336.

MArine (http://www.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,203%257E21481%257E2531962,00.html)