PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood, We Have a Problem

thedrifter
11-13-04, 07:02 AM
Hollywood, We Have a Problem
By Lisa Sarrach
November 12, 2004

The famous and the infamous out in La La Land are crying in their lattes over last week's election results. Therapists down in Florida have reported a huge increase in everyday Liberal patients in Florida so upset over the results; they've already termed the phenomenon, P.E.S.T.

P.E.S.T. now appears to have a foothold in Hollywood. It appears the star of Law and Order: Criminal Intent, Vince D'Onofrio, has already succumbed to the ailment, as he apparently fainted on the set in despair over the election and the mandate from his bosses to refrain from political discussions during work hours.

Barbra Streisand (web site) who famously misquoted Shakespeare in an attempt to skewer President Bush earlier this year, has now used statements from Thomas Jefferson when he was John Adam's vice president to basically state, that this evil (Bush's 2nd term) will pass.

Of course, Jefferson was speaking about the unconstitutional alien and sedition acts of 1796 that eventually led to their demise and his ascension as president in 1800. But never mind, we'll let her continue to ramble and use quotes out of context if it helps her get over her case of P.E.S.T.

After all, we are the Party of compassionate conservatism, eh?

And of course, Madonna has weighed in and requested an end to the war in Iraq and removal of all our troops. Madonna is receiving her therapy from the Kaballah rabbis, no pricy therapist for her, she just hands over her "contributions" to the Center and gets the therapy for free, I suppose.

Then we have our perennial favorite, Susan Sarandon, who is dealing with her case of P.E.S.T. by attempting to prove vote fraud in Ohio and Florida to validate once and for all that she and Tim are right and Kerry won because it's inconceivable to them that Bush Country and it's sea of red would reject her brilliance and wisdom.

Michael Moore....his case of P.E.S.T. is so severe, relocation to Canada or France may be the only way for him to heal and escape "Jesusland."

I was with friends the other day, popping the cork on some bubbly that was denied us on Election night and my friend asked me in all seriousness, "Who in Hollywood should I be boycotting?" I calmly replied, "you should take a look at my website once and a while (sigh) and get up to speed." I added, "It's much easier to take a look on my site to see who's not a Liberal and who supported the president, than the other way around."

The point of that little story is, even the uninitiated in Hollywood's war on our values, are ready for bear in 2004 and beyond.

The perfect storm has arrived. It's been percolating for quite some time, after 2000, after 9-11, with the anti-war protests in 2002 and the president's re-election in 2004.

Hollywood's antics have motivated consumers, who include outraged parents who are angry over the growing smut on our airwaves and every day folks who are disgusted over the anti-American sentiment emanating from the Hollywood Left. Combine all that with the dearth of quality product coming from our movie producers and TV executives and with Pop music on life support, in the hands of nothing but lip-syncing nymphets, you can see the perfect storm arriving on our shores.

Now, even when there is something actually worthy of spending money on, Americans are evaluating seriously whether to support with their hard earned dollars any activist celebrity who continues to denigrate our beliefs, our president, and our values, out here in the heartland (fly over country to the Libs).

If Hollywood's answer is to continue to call us puritans, prudes and radical evangelicals, they do so at their peril. Why? Because we're not. We're everyday folks who, believe it or not, enjoy The Sopranos, Desperate Housewives, CSI, and Law and Order. We appreciate talent and good writing and adult fare. We just don't appreciate overtly sexual programming aimed at children during what used to be fondly called "The Family Hour."

We happen to love good escapist entertainment. Unfortunately, all we can find lately at the theaters is rated G, and called Nemo or Shrek.

If Hollywood decides at some point to dump the cheap, exploitative reality programs and teen slasher flicks and once again invest in good writing, most likely we will come back. But, unfortunately with this caveat - it will depend on who is starring in that film or show.

By the way, you pampered elitist twits - you've ruined more than your future box office, television show or record deal, you've ruined our ability to separate the star from the role, because all we see is your hate. And no matter how much we've liked your work in the past, we are quickly becoming unwilling to subsidize it any further.

Thank God for DVDs, because as you will note by the record sales, we are reverting back in time to the stars who made us laugh and cry because of their art, not because of their political views.

Hubris and insulation are dangerous both in politics and in Hollywood. Together, hubris and insulation lead the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Julia Roberts, Cher, Martin Sheen, Sean Penn, and all the rest of the pack to truly believe that we want to hear their take on the presidential election and that we would even change our vote, just because they asked us to, because after all, they are celebrities...isn't that special?

What the Hollywood Elite fails to realize is that we don't give a hoot about their political beliefs until they shove them down our throats with hateful invective directed at our president and our values delivered by OUR money. That's when we get cranky.

At the end of the day, we will all survive if Hollywood and its collective community do indeed secede from the Union and form their own country out of the blue states. That's how crazy these people have become. They're leaving the country or starting one of their own. Fine and dandy, no problem. Just don't expect us to pay taxes in your country. Or fund your political careers.

We'll be home, safe in the bosom of our family watching "The Green Berets", "Gone with the Wind", "Mr. Roberts" and countless other films starring true Hollywood-Heroes who knew about sacrifice and honor and were on our side the last time this country faced destruction by those intent on killing us, oakey dokey? Cool, man.

----------------

Lisa Sarrach is president of Hollywood-Hero (www.hollywood-hero.us), GOPUSA.COM (www.gopusa.com) national columnist and a freelance writer focusing on cultural and domestic policy issues. You can contact her at lsarrach@hollywood-hero.us

--------------------

Note -- The opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, and/or philosophy of GOPUSA.

http://www.gopusa.com/commentary/lsarrach/2004/ls_1112.shtml

Ellie