PDA

View Full Version : No air time

benny rutledge
11-11-04, 10:30 AM
Our Marine Corps Birthday got no airtime at all in the Detoit media!A local radio station playing X-mas music did give us a mention.100.3 WNIC.
Another thing that peeves me are these reporters who keep referring to MARINES as SOLDIERS!!!!!!
Happy Birthday to the UNITED STATES MARINES and Happy VETERANS DAY.:marine: :marine: :marine:

Timber
11-11-04, 11:48 AM
Don't feel bad, I live in an area with the worlds largest naval base and military from all branches stationed here. not even a peep out of the liberal media here.

But can they complain about all the traffic going to and from the base and jet noise.

MAJMike
11-11-04, 01:48 PM
If there was no publicity / press, then the PAO (Public Affairs Officer) in your region/reserve unit/recruiting station probably did nothing to inform the media. You can't expect a 30 year old disc jockey or a 35 year old news assignment editor to know that November 10 is the Marine Corps birthday unless someone lets them know.

Even though the birthday is a BIG DEAL too us Mariines, it's not exactly a breaking news story.

Next year, why don't some of you get out your dress blues, get a special birthday cake and take it to the DJ at your town's most listened to radio station? You need to call a couple of weeks before hand to get scheduled on the show. Same with local TV early morning news programs (especially FOX Stations - many do local AM news/talk format shows). Or work with the Marines at your RSS or Reserve unit to make the cake presentation.

Things don't just happen. You have to make them happen.

CAR
11-12-04, 12:04 AM
I had just the opposite experience here. And for once it was nice. I heard several radio stations talking up the Marines and Birthday wishes on the 10th and more on the 11th. The local TV stations did a good job showing the local units having thier Ball and some did nice tributes to the Corps.

wsimkins
11-12-04, 07:41 AM
Timber,

Sounds as if you are from my old Home town of Norfolk, VA. I was born and raised there and the community has never really supported the Armed Forces.

benny rutledge
11-12-04, 09:26 AM
What an OUTSTANDING idea MajMike! Absolutly great idea.
I have no Blues,just my Jungle leaf thats managed to survive my closet. The next meeting at Post 4434 VFW,I am going to table your idea for next year.
My neighbor lady works for Marine Corps Recruiting Command in Ann Arbor,Mich.She got me a spiffy Coffee cup and a sticker for my car.She knows how prideful those of us who are no longer active can be,it was a nice touch.(I was hoping for an invite to their Ball!)
Thanx again Major,a great idea!I won't let it slip away.....
SEMPER FI!