PDA

View Full Version : A project that needs help

Angel
11-10-04, 10:28 AM
-Hi
I am currently trying to work on a project that would inform students and others about the issue of Iraq and trying to start some kind of drives or find different ways to support the troops in Iraq. However, I have little information on about doing this, so any help or information would be gladly appreciated. Thank You!

Love always..
..Sophy..

Osotogary
11-10-04, 10:48 AM
Please check usmc.mil or search for the DOD (Dept. of Defense)website. In any of the two you will discover links to questions that you might have in regards to your project. The DOD website has alot of ways to search and seek (Armed Forces etc.)
Good luck.
Gary

cjwright90
11-10-04, 10:54 AM
Good luck Soph and thanks. It is a wonderful thing you have planned. Web sites are good ways of getting things out. Posters, etc. Care package drives are cool. A friend of mine is making care packages, and funding them by selling those Support our Troops magnets. She is taking the difference from what she paid to what she is selling them for, and putting it into the care package. Her son is in Iraq now.

Angel
11-10-04, 11:01 AM
Thank You guys soo much.. I'm just thinking of how and what to do to help support them.. I'm just not sure yet on what to do and I'm really excited in getting this project going because my boyfriend is in the Marines and so are his Brother and Cousin... His Cousin is in the middle of Fallujah right now and I'm sending all my prayers to him and his family and to the rest of the troops over there.. So I figured it would be good to create an awareness to people about the War on Iraq and to inform others that its not just for the oil but for the sake of helping others... Any ideas on how about I should do this project would help.. and Thanks Gary and cjwright for the website input.. Any more would be very helpful to me since this is my first time actually starting something like this. Thank You

-Sophy

Osotogary
11-10-04, 11:28 AM
Angel,
There is a website named Marine Moms Online and also a group called "The Lejeuner's"(Camp Lejeune). I believe that both sites were founded by women and include, I'm sure, projects that you might need help with or advice. Also each Marine Division/Battalion/Regiment (I hope that I didn't screw up the order.), to my knowledge has a contact person and also a support link. If you know your boyfriends Division/Battalion/Regiment and then his Company I am sure that you will be able to find some sort of support group that can help you. Don't be tentative about asking for assistance. Support groups thrive on these kind of matters.
It's www.defenselink.mil for the DOD site and www.usmc.mil for the United States Marines.

Amanda
11-10-04, 12:45 PM
hey there! Long time no hear. i would love to help out! i dont know how that would work! But i have been thinking of doing something like that myself. Seeley may get a medical discharge, however, i...

Sgt Morales, AM
11-10-04, 01:07 PM
Sophy,

I think that what you are doing is a wonderful thing for our troops! There is a section of USMC.mil that you can and it will tell you exactly what they need and what they don't need :)

Here's one idea:
Toys for tots, but for the troops.

Toys for tots is gift giving program that helps unfortunate children during the holidays. Marines are there every year excepting toys. Why not do this for the Marines themselves? I think this would be a great way to cheer up our guys during the holidays away from their faimlies. Just a quick suggestion. Happy happy birthday!!!

Angel
11-10-04, 01:28 PM
Sgt. Morales thanks for the idea and I was actually thinking of that! But another idea that popped into my mind was the Operation Hero Miles program that was put up to help the returning or wounded troops and their family back to one of the 3 airports in the United States for free by donating their Frequent Flyer Miles Award to the participating airline. I think this would be a great idea because I know how it feels for those whom are waiting for their love one return and some doesnt return because they worry about the cost in returning. So I was thinking of starting an organization that would help collect money or have people donate some of their Frequent Flyer Miles to one of the Airlines.. I'm just thinking of how about I'm going to do this.. But wish me Luck! and Thanks Gary for the website! I found some very very interesting idea on what to do! :)

-Sophy

Sgt Morales, AM
11-10-04, 01:58 PM
Sophy,
These are the items that the USO is asking for. What they want is corporate sponsored stuff (in bulk). What you can do is go to these company's, or write them, and see if they would help you with your program. That's if the frequent flyer mile thing doesn't work out. Either way...this is a great thing that you are doing for us!!!

Items needed:

Pre-paid Global Calling Cards
Playing Cards and Board Games
Toothbrushes Compact Discs
Toothpaste Current Movies on DVD
Tissues
Crossword Puzzle Books
Shampoo/Conditioner
Disposable Cameras
Shower Gel Small Footballs, Softballs
Sunscreen Stationery and Journals
Baby Wipes Sunglasses
Hand Lotion CD/DVD Cases with Zipper
Lip Balm
Individually Wrapped Snack Items
Cotton Swabs Shoe Polish Kits

Osotogary
11-10-04, 02:17 PM
Angel,
I once sent a package to my son using two frisbees as the box to contain the goodies. You'd be surprised what you can put between two frisbees. I then sealed the frsbees together with clear packing tape and then put the pakage into a non-tearable postal envelope and sent it priority mail. Everything arrived in Kuwai/Iraq in fine condition and the son said that everyone had fun with the frisbees. (Just an idea)

Angel
11-10-04, 02:24 PM
Wow thats such a great Idea! now i'm debating on whether to raise money to donate to the frequent flyer miles award or to write to big companies to help send care packages to the troops..

Another issue that I'm concern with is how actually am I going to inform students and those who does not see the whole cause of the war and what we are doing to help out the world..

Sgt Morales, AM
11-10-04, 03:13 PM
When I was in college I was the chair to our 8th annual Youth conference that motivated kids to go college. We would go to all the high schools in the Los Angeles area and speak with 11th and 12th grade kids. The first thing was getting the permission of the school. I would talk to the counselors and ask if Me and my club could talk to the teachers and kids about my program. Once I got the access from the counselors, it was smooth sailing. We had over 500 kids attend our conference. It takes hard work and time to do something this big. If you have the help of high school kids, you can target more companies to help you. Make flyers with information, write down a script with issues that you want to discuss.
You don't have to make it a big debate. Just tell them what you are doing and what you need from them. You don't have to debate on the cause of the war, just tell them that there are thousands of servicemen and women out there fighting and will continue fighting during the holidays. Even though they are in terrible conditions, a little care package will bring them great joy!!!

Good luck

CAR
11-11-04, 02:51 AM
Angel,
NIce to hear about what your doing. Just a thought but if you can contact your local marine Reserve unit or Recruiter, they may have something going that you can help out with or better yet, talk to the commanding officer and let him know what you would like to do. He can go as far as getting some Marines together to visit schools and inform students or get Marines together to start some sort of drive for gear. Toys for tots is starting up so Reserve units will be busy but I'm sure help can eb given for a good cause.
Good luck.

Angel
11-11-04, 03:12 AM
Car thats such a great idea! I never thought of that! Thank You so much for that input! Now all I have to do is write a proposal on it! Thank You guys! anymore Ideas will be appreciated! You Guys are the Best!

Love always
-Sophy

bbailey
11-11-04, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Morales, AM
Sophy,
These are the items that the USO is asking for. What they want is corporate sponsored stuff (in bulk). What you can do is go to these company's, or write them, and see if they would help you with your program. That's if the frequent flyer mile thing doesn't work out. Either way...this is a great thing that you are doing for us!!!

Items needed:

Pre-paid Global Calling Cards
Playing Cards and Board Games
Toothbrushes Compact Discs
Toothpaste Current Movies on DVD
Tissues
Crossword Puzzle Books
Shampoo/Conditioner
Disposable Cameras
Shower Gel Small Footballs, Softballs
Sunscreen Stationery and Journals
Baby Wipes Sunglasses
Hand Lotion CD/DVD Cases with Zipper
Lip Balm
Individually Wrapped Snack Items
Cotton Swabs Shoe Polish Kits

And don't forget the quality of life things for grunts!!!!

-Gatorade (powdered, comes in cylindrical orange containers if memory serves me right)

-stateside Copenhagen ( cardboard can)

-Wet Naps or similar

-Envelopes

-Stationary for letters home

-Books (military history/action or military fiction usually )

-Toilet paper (Charmin or other soft ones, government issue toilet paper is horrible )

-stateside Copenhagen again :)

-Gatorade again :)

-

wsimkins
11-11-04, 09:06 AM
Angel,

What you are doing is absolutely wonderful! If you need help, contact the Womens Auxillary at your local VFW Post. I am quite certain they would be willing to participate. You can find their address and phone number at www.vfw.org.

Good luck and God bless.

tatted1
11-11-04, 10:20 AM
I'll have to agree with bbailey and Sgt. Morales. All are very good items to send over there. I actually collected a bunch of things from my work and sent them over there. Being one of 3 Marines working at this company I started the collections.
Hard candies are great. I wouldn't reccommend anything chocolate.lol
Stateside Copenhagen is a really big thing for those who chew. The stuff they get over there is terrible. And if they smoke, and few extra packs wouldn't hurt.

benny rutledge
11-11-04, 10:26 AM
Sophie,good luck on your project! I go to CENTCOM.MIL for the latest scoop.

gwladgarwr
11-11-04, 11:22 AM
As 2nd Vice Commander of American Legion Post 10 in Manassas, VA, I help run Post 10's Operation Patriot Brigade that targets veterans and their familes affected by or serving in OIF/OEF. Part of this initiative is collecting donations such as the items listed above to send to specific military personnel serving in theater. All the suggestions listed above are correct.

However, it is not wise to send packages to "any servicemember"; a letter or package must be addressed to a specific individual or else the package may be returned or thrown away. Sending prohibited items such as alcohol, firearms and ammo, or anything that could be used as a weapon, is not a good idea. Sending cash is also a bad idea.

Since Christmas is so close, packages should be sent out already since it can take 4-6 weeks and even more for packages to reach an APO/FPO address then to its final destination. Packages to go abroad should be sent by the end of this week.

Check Post 10's site at http://www.americanlegionpost10.com/

Angel
11-11-04, 11:26 AM
Thank You guys! :) I hadn't written up my proposal for the project yet because I'e been busy with so many things to do.. But after I get everyting all cleared I should be all set! and I'll update on how my project went.. I'm kinda of overwhelmed with alot of stuff to do with school and all but I"m so motivated in doing this that I HAVE TO find time to do this! I love the Marines.. and I love what they are doing for us! and this is just a little thing that I can do to say Thank You to the arm forces and Service members fighting for our freedom.. Thank You guys.. and wish me Luck!

Angel
11-12-04, 05:44 PM
Ok.. I am currently working on my proposal for the project... but.. I'm still wondering How can I get a Marine whom have served their time in Iraq come to speak and inform students about the war in Iraq.. Any suggestions anyone?

hrscowboy
11-12-04, 06:17 PM
My marines dont have time for candy or chocolates or chew or smokes its all hazardous to there health. We are fightin a war and we dont need no hazardous Materials in the Marines hands or mouth... They get candy in there MREs thats enough...

Angel
11-12-04, 06:33 PM
This is what I am planning as a project..

I am going to start up a donation project in and around the Boston area to collect some donation that would purchase calling cards for the Marines in Iraq to call their families since I have no idea on how to get people to donate their sky miles to the Marines currently stationed in Iraq. So the next closest thing to do is to help them fund for Calling and informing their family member. This is the easy part..

Now the not so easy part:

Trying to find a representative or person to come and inform the college students and other ignorant individual that the war on Iraq was not basically on Oil but to help those who are in need of freedom as we once were when we had not obtain our Independence.

hrscowboy
11-12-04, 06:42 PM
My marines dont need no callin cards either they dont need to call home cause there aint no phone service in half of that damn country besides you will there minds off the misson and have them worrying about family instead.

so it be said so it be written

vfm
11-12-04, 06:53 PM
Angel:
I think what you are doing is very admirable.As a few others suggested, contact your local Marine recruiting office and they may be able to get a representative to speak to your group.Also they would be able to help with a list of items that could be useful to our troops. Also work with your local American Legion and/or VFW Post.
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Angel
11-12-04, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
My marines dont need no callin cards either they dont need to call home cause there aint no phone service in half of that damn country besides you will there minds off the misson and have them worrying about family instead.

so it be said so it be written

:no: :qmark: So in your opinion what should I do to help the troops Hrscowboy?

Angel
11-12-04, 07:07 PM
While my bf's brother was in Iraq during the start of the War he was so happy that he had called home to speak to his family in the states. This had not only boost his morales but it also inform his family that he is ok and is doing well. I had done many research on this topic over the past couple of days and submitted asked his brother what would be more valuable to him.. A care package containing every items for everyday use or a phone call home.. He told me a phone call home because during the time when he served in the War he was proud at what he was doing but he also misses home and calling home was the closest thing to being home.

Sgtj
11-12-04, 07:56 PM
hrscowboy,

You need to lighten up a bit. I know a # of Marines in combat that would enjoy a call home. If their leadership is good then they will be focused on the mission at hand. With or without a phone call home.

S/F
Sgt.J

hrscowboy
11-12-04, 09:58 PM
This is the difference between the old corps and the new corps...

Sgtj
11-12-04, 11:17 PM
I haven't said anything to disrespect you or your service to the Corps or Country. So I ask why do you disrespect mine? And the men and women that are currently fighting in harms way. The "new" Corps as you seem to call it, is still and will always be filled of hard working men and women that are willing to sacrifice all so we can continue to be free. A phone call home is not going to change that.
So with all do respect get off your soap box. Respect goes two ways. New Corps or Old Corps we are all Marines and with that there should be a linear respect.

Sergeant J

yellowwing
11-13-04, 03:11 AM
http://www.vietvet.org/images/vn/vma/terry3s.jpg

Lewis Puller Jr..(center) followed in his father's loot-steps. Retired LtGen Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller witnessed his son's swearing-In ceremony In 1967.
Borrowed from VietVet.org (http://www.vietvet.org)

"Old Corps, New Corps as long as it's MARINE CORPS" - Chesty Puller.

Look at this photo! Even in his retirement he has an uncompromising Commanding Presence.

Gung Ho!

Angel, I don't care if you send over red silk boxer skivvies. I support what you are doing, all the way!

Speaking of which, Letters of Support add weight to any proposal. Get in touch with local Marine Corps Leagues in your state and see if they would write a letter.

TracGunny
11-13-04, 08:47 AM
...VFW, Foreign Legion, or any other Veteran’s groups may be able to help (Marines join those organizations, also). Try your local/state Veterans Affairs Office; they may be able to assist… Here in Jacksonville FLA a non-profit group, that helps with the poor and needy (Second Harvest) got involved with sending care packages & phone cards in a roundabout manner due to their expertise in transportation of said items and volunteer work force to put packages together…

TracGunny
11-13-04, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
This is the difference between the old corps and the new corps... huh? The only difference is technology and more time for lessons learned to influence strategy and tactics.

Angel, go for it!

hrscowboy
11-13-04, 12:29 PM
Angel,

All bull**** aside darlin try getting ahold of the Vietnam Vets of America also remember that some of these men and woman serving in iraq are our children and grandchildren and i am sure they would be glad to help you out.

Angel
11-13-04, 04:29 PM
Thanks! Guys. whenever I'm finish with my proposal which will be tonight I'll post it up so you guys can view it...

Love Always..
-Sophy

hrscowboy
11-14-04, 11:59 PM
look at chestys face you know what hes saying ( he puke get that damn camera away from me before i jump on your liver and dance on it)

Angel
11-15-04, 12:51 AM
Lol..

Well beside from the joke I have written up this proposal with the help of many on this site and especially DJ that had helped me soo much in writing my proposal, I thank you all so much for the inputs Now all I have to do is touch it up a little and umm.. start on my project! So here you goo..

The current military engagements in Iraq can be attributed to many strategic national policies on United States Security. The fact that people compromises the integrity of those that lead us by attempting to make this look like an economic war for oil shows the true ignorance of many Americans. One fact remains to this day is that there are young men and women, that are of our own generations of college students, who are putting their lives on the line twenty four seven, to protect the one thing we often overlook as sacred, our own independence. Now more than ever, these warriors need a nation to stand behind them, to support them in every way. Therefore, as an effort for supporting the troops and trying to inform those who are not aware of the war and its cause, I will outline my project and the difficulties that will come along the way in the following paragraphs.
As the war progressed, more Americans began to believe that the war on Iraq was based on an economic need for oil. However, they overlooked the fact that we are fighting for the freedom of the Iraqis that have been tortured for many decades. Not only are we embarking on a fight for their freedom but also we are protecting our own national security. Saddam Hussein as well as other leaders and regimes provided training camps for numerous terrorist operations. Not to mention there was hard CIA evidence stating the creation of weapons of mass destruction mainly to be used in attacks against the United States of America.
The leaders of our country are faced with numerous decisions on a daily basis. The majority of which in our post 9-11 world revolve around our national security. In the ongoing war on terror, the United States and coalition forces are targeting nations who harbor, fund, and proliferate terrorist acts within their boundaries. Iraq was on the top of a watch list of countries involved in these explicit activities, and that is the root of the need to use military force to end the reign of Saddam Hussein and neutralize his ability to reek havoc with non-confronting nations.
While our troops are in Iraq, many personal freedoms are left at the border as they cross into a war zones. Many things that we take for granted turn into luxuries in a nation under battle. The simple hello from a friend, family member or spouse can greatly boost the moral of not only the soldiers, but of their families who are at a constant worry of their safety and well-being. This is where my project comes into great play. With the distribution of phone cards to those fighting in Iraq, the men and women of the United States military currently fighting for our freedom will be able to talk to their loved ones back home.
As part of the plan, I will begin a process of informing and collecting donations from the staff, faculties, and students of Newbury College to help purchase international phone cards for the men and women serving in Iraq. I acknowledge that many organizations such as the Veterans of Foreign Affairs have started similar programs to help aid those whom are fighting the war and I will begin contacting them for the information on where I would be able to send the donations.
However, some problems that might exist on this issue are the people’s refusal to give in to donations because they are against the war or they feel that they have already paid their taxes to help the service members. The way I am going to tackle this problem is by posting posters, banners, and flyers that will briefly inform the real cause of the war. Another way is through contacting a local Marine unit to try to get a representative to the school and asking them to speak about the war its causes.

Angel
11-15-04, 12:52 AM
and more to come... on this.. not quite finish yet.. :)