PDA

View Full Version : For Your Birthday

Doc Crow
11-09-04, 10:42 PM
Men for your 229th Birthday I thought I would post a few of these things for you

The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight! [MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952]

Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights. [Navy Times; November 1994]

Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines. [Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918]

The United States Marine Corps, with it fiercely proud tradition of excellence in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its unbending code of honor, is part of the fabric of American myth. [Thomas E. Ricks; Making the Corps, 1997]

I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world! [Gen. Douglas MacArthur, USA; Korea, 21 September 1950]

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on? [Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff; during the assault on Grenada, 1983]

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [Ronald Reagan, U.S. President; 1985]

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. [RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995]

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake." [Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991]

Come on, you sons of *****es! Do you want to live forever? [GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-`le-Bocage as he led the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]

Gone to Florida to fight the Indians. Will be back when the war is over. [Col. Archibald Henderson, USMC (CMC); in a note pinned to his office door, 1836]

Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you! [Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC; rallying his First Marine Regiment near Chosin Reservoir, Korea, December 1950]

Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever. [the mythical GySgt. Hartman, USMC; portrayed by GySgt. R. Lee Ermey, a Marine Corps Drill Instructor using his own choice of words in Full Metal Jacket, 1987]

You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me! [Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943]

We are United States Marines, and for two and a quarter centuries we have defined the standards of courage, esprit, and military prowess. [Gen. James L. Jones, USMC (CMC); 10 November 2000]

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold. [1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC; in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918]

I love the Corps for those intangible possessions that cannot be issued: pride, honor, integrity, and being able to carry on the traditions for generations of warriors past. [Cpl. Jeff Sornig, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994]

Doc Crow
11-10-04, 09:10 AM
I really like the one from Grenada laughed out loud

DSchmitke
11-10-04, 09:17 AM
Thanks Doc

RACoy65
11-10-04, 09:35 AM
Semper Fi Doc.
Happy Birthday and God Bless Our beloved Corps'.

Sgt Morales, AM
11-10-04, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the words Doc.

Happy Birthday to all the Jarheads, leathernecks and Marines.

By the way Doc, you should edit the first sentence and put men/women. :o)

Sgt. Ann M. Morales

benny rutledge
11-10-04, 09:49 AM
Damn Doc,you sure know how to give a guy goosebumps.........
I couldn't be prouder,thanx Doc!
Happy Birthday to my MARINE brothers and Sisters

Namvet67
11-10-04, 10:15 AM
Semper Fi Doc...do or die

Doc Crow
11-10-04, 02:29 PM
Treid to edit but the thread will not allow me to add women. Sorry ladies no insult intended or meant

mrbsox
11-10-04, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the post and thoughts Doc... SEMPER taking care of yer JarHeads !! lol

Get yer self a piece of birthday cake, on Me !!

Terry