PDA

View Full Version : SOI vs. MCT

yurkonis05
11-04-04, 10:09 PM
ok, im sorta confused. i want my MOS to be MCSF right? well im being told on here that MCSF is a secondary billet, but i do believe it b/c i saw in my recruiters book that u must have 0311 as a backround MOS. now if i went and did this would i go to SOI or MCT and what is the difference between the 2. and can some1 please give me more help on the whole MCSF deal and what 0311 has to do w/ it! thanks alot guys! SEMPER FI!

bbailey
11-05-04, 02:12 AM
Ok this is something that recruiters don't stay very clear on unfortunately.

What you will be in security forces is a grunt. You will go to SOI just like every other 0300 billeted marine, youll do your school and specialization which, when I was in you only had to be an 0300, not a specific rifleman. Anyways, youll go to school at SOI.

After you graduate you will be assigned to Marine Corps Security Forces somewhere. You will be assigned there for a couple of years. After then you'll get sent back to an FMF unit as a grunt.

Personally I'd consider MCSF as a temp assignment because every guy I know that went that route, ended up back in the fleet after a couple years. So word of advice, don't forget your primary MOS or begin to slack on your PT when pulling guard duty at some sub base :) Because in a couple years you will be putting a pack on and stepping out on a 20+ mile hump

decuervo
11-05-04, 08:22 AM
bbailey is right. Several of the Marines in my platoon came from SF duty. But the good thing is 90% of them came to the fleet as NCO's while us pure FMF grunts were still LCPL due to our primary MOS being closed. So milk it for what it's worth. Also try for Yankee White if you can, those guys pick up rank like mad-men.

DeNichilo 0300
11-05-04, 08:54 AM
Yankee White ?

Timber
11-05-04, 09:02 AM
Ok to answer your original ? MCT was designed to give more in depth training on infantry tactics to Marines that would not be holding a 0300 billet. Those guys filling supply, or admin billets along with guys like me who fixed LAV's don't go to SOI.

HardJedi
11-05-04, 10:16 AM
you will be going to BOTH MCT and THEN SOI!. I have told you this at least twice before.

and MCSF IS a SECONDARY billet. just like Drill instructor and MSG. You can be ANYTHING in the 0300 field, as a non NCO anyway, and be in security forces. NCO and up can be ANY MOS in Security Forces.

cjwright90
11-05-04, 11:34 AM
MCT AND SOI, Jedi? As an 0311, I only went to SOI. Had Barracks duty, with no extra training...? Please enlighten me.

drillinstructor
11-05-04, 11:31 PM
MCSF school is in chesapeake VA... You will attend this school after SOI. All MCSF are grunts(post standers). You can apply for the duty as I did when I was a Sgt and was accepted ( I am not a grunt). You will do 18 months after completing school in Chesapeake then off to the FMF. You are an 03xx which means you will go through boot camp, SOI, MCSF School, MCSF duty Rota Spain + others...is possible for 18 months then to the fleet to do your MOS...DI

HardJedi
11-06-04, 06:34 AM
wow, CJ. Really? I went to both MCT AND SOI, and then did NOT go to security forces school in VA. I went straight from SOI to Guam. and yes, for those who don't know I was an 0311. after Guam, I went to ANOTHER mcsf detachment, at Kingsbay, GA, before going on to the fleet.

guess things kepp changing all the time. Every Grunt I ever knew went to mct.

yurkonis05
11-06-04, 12:06 PM
thanks for all ur input. what is FMF?

Sparrowhawk
11-06-04, 03:45 PM
Fine Mexican Females... DuH!

I thought everyone knew that!

RLeon
11-06-04, 05:24 PM
:confused: Ok, I was under the impression that all Marines went to SOI(School of Infantry). If you were going into a non combat MOS you went to MCT(Marine Combat training). If you were going into the infantry you went to ITB(Infantry training batallion). And if you were open contract and didn't know what your MOS was you made a grimace when the platoon Sgt at MCT told you that your MOS was going to be 0300 and you hat to go to ITB.

Underleft
11-07-04, 07:34 PM
I thought MCT and SOI were both in ITB

RLeon
11-08-04, 07:22 PM
I don't know, my MCT diploma says United State Marine Corps School of Infantry presents etc .

enviro
11-08-04, 08:44 PM
The Schools of Infantry are the Marine Corps' center of excellence for infantry training, and are located at Camp Pendleton, CA and Camp Lejeune, NC.

SOI conducts both entry-level and advanced infantry training for Active Duty and Reserve Marines through our five subordinate units and two supporting Navy units (the Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation Therapy and Medical/Dental Clinics).

Under the School of Infantry (SOI) are:

Marine Combat Training Battalion (MCT)
Infantry Training Battalion (ITB)
Advanced Infantry Training Company (AIT)
Light Armored Vehicle Company (LAV) Courses
Headquarters & Support Battalion (H&S)

HardJedi
11-09-04, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RLeon
I don't know, my MCT diploma says United State Marine Corps School of Infantry presents etc .

you got a DIPLOMA? man! the longer I am out, the more I feel like I got cheated! LOL I never got any kind of diploma!

cajunguy
11-09-04, 11:19 PM
The only "diploma" I got on leaving ITR in 1960 was a piece of paper assigning me to 1st Anti-tank Btn. (Ontos) just down the road at Camp Horno.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/teehee.gif

Damn, I miss those days.

RLeon
11-10-04, 06:32 PM
Ok, it was a cheap yellow piece of paper :D
the font was nice though

Caesar Augustus
11-10-04, 06:57 PM
SOI is the school ITB is for 03's MCT is for all non 03's

HardJedi
11-10-04, 08:29 PM
you mean to tell me that not EVERYONE goes through MCT anymore?

1recon
11-10-04, 09:29 PM
I believe that MCT is basically the same as ITB's Common skills portion of training. So it sounds like they just bunched everything together into one program for the 03's

bbailey
11-10-04, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by cajunguy
The only "diploma" I got on leaving ITR in 1960 was a piece of paper assigning me to 1st Anti-tank Btn. (Ontos) just down the road at Camp Horno.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/teehee.gif

Damn, I miss those days.

Haha I know that feeling cajun!! :D When I completed SOI and officially became an 0331 I was so hoping for a duty station somewhere remotely away from Camp Pendleton. Low and behold my orders send me a PT run away to 1/4. I got the luxury of humping and patrolling the very same hills and terrain I did infantry school in! Wooo I was ticked off. My pickup by the fleet was so ghetto, I got picked up in a POV by a company clerk :p

Yankee White ?

DeNichilo 0300 , Yankee White, if I remember correctly, is presidential security duty. If you by chance get selected for it you will have to undergo the most stringent security clearence and background check in the Marine Corps probably. My squad leader on my second float came from 8th and I barracks and knew alot of the marines screened for YW duty. Some were disqualified for getting drunk ONCE in their life. I can't verify the truth to this statement, it was word of mouth. But to be honest I wouldn't be the very least bit surprised. I believe YW duty requires Top Secret clearance and to have the ok to be around the President you can bet the background of each Marine on it is absolutely perfect in every way. As in they will be talking to your friends and family, teachers, pretty much anyone involved in your life before the Marine Corps.

enviro
11-11-04, 10:19 AM
TECOM (Training & Education Command) has formalized all schools now. Certificates document everything now. Training has become more standardized and you have to be more qualified to teach courses.

Especially ITB/MCT. The days of sending the sh|tbirds to be "Troop Handlers" are over. They are now Marine Combat Instructors and it's now an honor to be chosen for that duty billet. A while back, some of them were raising questions about how they should rate a ribbon for their duty (such as Drill Instructor, Marine Security Guard, or Recruiter) and it should become a formal B Billet.

SuNmAN
11-16-04, 06:58 PM
I graduatred from MCT today, I'm at the USO at LAX headed for Ft Leonardwood, MO.

MCT is a part of SOI. InfaNTRY mARINES GO TO itb (iNFAntry Training Battalion)

MCT kinda sucks but its a walk in the park compared to boot camp.

RLeon
11-19-04, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SuNmAN
I graduatred from MCT today, I'm at the USO at LAX headed for Ft Leonardwood, MO.

MCT is a part of SOI. InfaNTRY mARINES GO TO itb (iNFAntry Training Battalion)

MCT kinda sucks but its a walk in the park compared to boot camp.
Thank You for clearing that up..did you get a diplo...er i mean a cheap yellow peice of paper too?? :D

SuNmAN
11-19-04, 08:58 PM
yep :-)