PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Birthday 2004

MillRatUSMC
11-04-04, 10:56 AM
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/mcbirthday2004.html
For the Marine Corps Birthday 2004

Seeing that 10 November is in the middle of the week.
I think many will be celebrating on the 6th or the 7th.
So that why I placing this now...

thedrifter
11-04-04, 11:03 AM
Thanks for Sharing Millrat......

Outstanding..........

Happy Birthday Marines!

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
11-04-04, 11:47 AM
I was thinking about embedding either the Marine's Hymn or Semper Fidelis.
Than I thought some Marines might be working.
Would not want to responsibile for getting any into some trouble.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

decuervo
11-04-04, 11:49 AM
So how is everyone going to celebrate? Those of us without a ball to go to I mean? As for me I'm firing up the grill, drinking some of my home-made prickly pear wine, and dancing the night away with my beautiful wife.

MillRatUSMC
11-07-04, 09:45 PM
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/mcbirthday2004.html
Done some upgrade to my 229th Marine Corps Birthday page.
Warning! Embed sound, Marine's Hymn...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

cjwright90
11-08-04, 07:49 AM
Happy Birthday, Marines! My mother, father, and older brother! Semper FI!

jinelson
11-08-04, 09:59 AM
I went to the 12th Marine Corps District Ball on saturday night as for the 10th itself I will be taking the local recruiters and there CO to lunch. Returning home and watching FMJ and Heartbreak Ridge and reminicing while the bar is open. On veterans Day I am attending a memorial service for LCpl Travis Layfield a local Marine that was killed on April 6th 2004 in an Bar province Iraq.

Happy Birthday Marines and Semper Fi
Jim

MillRatUSMC
11-08-04, 11:19 AM
http://www.usmcforum.com/easyhost/millratusmc/ajrecentx.jpg

A little sea story here;
Yesterday my grandson AJ who photo is above...He touch "Sgt. Murphy" foot that led to the playing of the Marine's Hymn.
He walked out into the kitchen to talk with grandma.
Next thing I see, is AJ marching to the beat...tell me that boy isn't going to follow his old grandpa into the Corps,
When he comes of age...it's in th blood...sorry Mom, AJ is going to be a Marine before you know it...
Had to share that with you...because comes Wed. the Marine Corps will be 229th year of age, may there be many more and we know that the Marines now active are doing us proud...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Lawrence Coffer
11-08-04, 11:50 AM
As Marines we should be proud of the acomplishment of our branch. For over 200 years our Corps has done what was asked of them without question or hesitation.
We take time to celibrate the coming in of a new year ,the Super bowl, and other occasions. Take time to cellibrate the founding of our second family, the United States Marine Corps.If for nothing else to remember our brothers who gave it all.

Skinnypup
11-08-04, 04:40 PM
I just want to say "Happy Birthday" to all of the Marines who served before me. I have the utmost respect for ALL of you salty dogs!

Sgt Morales, AM
11-08-04, 04:58 PM
OOHRAHHH for the salties!!!! & Happy birthday Marines!!!! One day, I will be a salty dog like the vets in this forum. To some young pups, I already am!!

Semper fi!!!!

Jersey Joe
11-08-04, 09:58 PM
Happy Birthday to all our brothers and sisters on our 229th!
Special prayers to the troops in Fallujah---get home safely--we are all with you every day.

Semper Fi
Jersey Joe

John A Barrios
11-09-04, 11:11 AM
to all my BROTHERS and SISTERS
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINES

we are free because of the brave

SEMPER FI
John

Namvet67
11-09-04, 11:33 AM
Happy Birthday Marines...past and present but especilly those who be fighting in Fallujah tomorrow. I fought on the Marine Corps birthday on 3 seperate occasions..birthday 192,193 and 194. Semper Fi

TNAR
11-09-04, 11:13 PM
I just recieved something in my inbox that amazed me. In these days where big business tries it's best *not* to take a stand that could be construed as political , I received this email from Godaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com).

Dear Customer:

Each and every year, we at GoDaddy.com stop and celebrate a day that is very special to us. November 10th marks the 229th birthday of The United States Marine Corps.

This year we decided that it wasn't enough just to have a few libations in honor of the Marines. We felt that we both wanted and needed to do more. So we created a small multimedia tribute (we'll still toast the Corps after work).

Please join us in wishing the United States Marine Corps a very special birthday indeed.

We hope you enjoy the birthday salute!

Semper Fi

A tribute (http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/usmc.asp?isc=gdf1110).

CAR
11-09-04, 11:30 PM
Happy Birthday Marines. 229 and going strong.

MillRatUSMC
11-10-04, 12:20 AM
TNAR,
Thanks for that tribute...it was great...
Yes, it's great that they chose to take a stand...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

thedrifter
11-10-04, 06:20 AM
Happy 229th Birthday Marines!

http://www.happydaycards.com/birthdays/marine2.html

Love,

Ellie

vision836
11-10-04, 06:25 AM
Happy Birthday Marines and to all that serverd and serving now. Semper Fi & God Bless.

GunnyL
11-10-04, 07:14 AM
I just want to send out a Happy Birthday shout to all of the Devil Dogs here on Leatherneck.com.

Semper Fi

GunnyL

airframesguru
11-10-04, 07:18 AM
http://www.uspharmd.com/usmc/mchymn.htm

Happy birhtday Marines!

Semper Fi,

Mike

snipowsky
11-10-04, 07:45 AM
Happy 229th Birthday my Marine brothers and sisters! Wish you all well and Godspeed!

lurchenstein
11-10-04, 08:09 AM
HAPPY 229TH BIRTHDAY MARINES!:marine:

DSchmitke
11-10-04, 09:23 AM
Happy 229th Birthday to my Brothers & Sister Semper Fi !

thedrifter
11-10-04, 09:45 AM
Happy Birthday!

http://www.happydaycards.com/birthdays/marine3.html

Love,

Ellie

Namvet67
11-10-04, 10:18 AM
TNAR...thanks for passing that on..Semper Fi

Timber
11-10-04, 10:49 AM
Happy 229th to all SEMPER FI

thedrifter
11-10-04, 11:24 AM
Happy Birthday to Marine family
November 10,2004
STAFF REPORTS
JACKSONVILLE DAILY NEWS STAFF

As the United States Marine Corps celebrates another anniversary of its founding, it's interesting to look at where the service is now - as well as where it's been.

In his birthday message, Commandant M.W. Hagee celebrates the occasion with these thoughts: "The current battlefields of the global war on terror are linked to the storied campaigns of our past by an unbroken tradition of proud and loyal service. At New Providence, Chapultepec, Belleau Wood, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, the Chosin Reservoir, Con Thien, Kuwait and now in places like Fallujah, Marines have consistently demonstrated a dedication to duty, a commitment to war-fighting excellence, and a devotion to each other that has instilled a fierce determination to overcome seemingly impossible challenges. Our warrior ethos is and will continue to be the Corps' hallmark."

Pride in the Marine Corps' mission and its execution are nothing new. Although Hagee's message addresses the 229th Marine Corps Birthday, with the exception of the geography, his words could just as easily have been uttered by other, earlier commandants.

Take a look at what former commandant and namesake of Camp Lejeune, Gen. John Lejeune, had to say about the Corps in his message for the 146th birthday:

"During 90 of the 146 years of its existence, the Marine Corps has been in action against the Nation's foes. From the Battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war and in the long era of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas [so] that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

"In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term 'Marine' has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue."

Pride in the fighting ethic, honor and duty - all themes that resonate with the many Marines who live and work in Onslow County and the surrounding area. But, in this time of war and international conflict, it's worth noting the differences in the two messages the commandants have sent to the troops.

In his 1921 communication, Lejeune continues to talk about esprit de corps, their duty and their history, while Hagee continues his message with these thoughts:

"The fortitude and sacrifices of Marines and their families have been vital in protecting our Nation from those who would do us harm."

Marines and their families. The spouses, parents, siblings and children of men and women who serve as Marines. The people who kept the households running, took care of the children, paid the bills, sent their love, worried and waited while their Marines - our Marines - did their jobs.

Perhaps nowhere is there more appreciation for the sacrifices made by the families of those who serve this country than right here in Eastern North Carolina.

With thousands of servicemen and women stationed locally, area residents get to see firsthand what others chose to ignore - that it's the support system that makes it work. Support from the government, from the American people and, most of all, support from the people who mean the most to them, the people they are fighting to protect, whose system of government they are avowed to preserve.

Birthday wishes to the U.S. Marines are in order, but it takes more than the Marines to blow out those candles. It takes the help of those who stand beside them, and it's rewarding to see them achieve official recognition.

Ellie

Walter
11-10-04, 12:35 PM
Happy birthday Marine Corps...Many more!

Lawrence Coffer
11-10-04, 01:10 PM
Once again we are celebrating the founding of our corps. I am writing to wish all my fellow Marines past and present a safe and happy 229th birthday.
SEMPER FI
Larry Coffer

CPL/7113
11-10-04, 02:35 PM
It has been many years ago that I served in the Marine Corps,1959 to 1963,but it seems like yesterday.I will never forget the Marines that were my friends,and some still are to this day.I really wish that I could do it all again.Happy Birthday brothers,and Semper Fi.

vfm
11-10-04, 02:47 PM
Happy Birthday to all MARINES past and present. May God help our MARINES in Fallujah. (and also non-MARINE troops).
SEMPER FI!!!
vfm

thedrifter
11-10-04, 04:36 PM
Marines cut cake on big day
November 10, 2004
ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF

The numbers spoke volumes Tuesday at Camp Lejeune, where more than 200 Marines, sailors and spectators braved the crisp air at Liversedge Field to mark the 229th birthday of the Marine Corps.

The crowd is usually in the thousands. But the spectators, and the smaller number of those involved in the ceremony marking the birthday, which is officially today, are a sign of where the Marine Corps is today, said Maj. Gen. Robert C. Dickerson, commanding general of Camp Lejeune.

"A lot of people are training and deployed," Dickerson said. "(It's OK) as long as Marines are trained and ready to go forth and do great things."

As Dickerson spoke, Marines in Iraq - most from West Coast bases but some with Lejeune ties - were pounding Iraqi insurgents in Fallujah. Meanwhile, thousands of Lejeune-based troops are preparing to go to Iraq in early 2005.

Col. Donald J. Anderson, 55, the oldest Marine present, understood. Anderson, director of Installation, Safety and Security, said he has missed two birthday celebrations in his 36 years, 5 months in the Marine Corps.

"For one, I was in Vietnam, and the other, I was on the way to Mogadishu (Somalia)," said Anderson, of McKinney, Texas.

Those in Iraq or headed there were remembered at the event.

A pair of CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters shuttled back and forth overhead, illustrating how many units are already deployed and how many are busy in a pre-deployment training cycle to go to Iraq early next year.

Camp Lejeune units deployed to Iraq include 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit; 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; 2nd Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment and 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, elements of 2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Radio Battalion and 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company.

The 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment is currently operating in Afghanistan.

The celebration included the usual pageantry - 17 men and women dressed in uniforms of different time periods from the Continental Marines of 1775 to Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.

A line of seven rifle bearers each fired three times in a 21-gun salute, followed by a solemn rendition of "Taps."

Eighteen Marines formed a two-line cordon representing every enlisted rank.

Seven Marines carried a huge four-tier cake through the cordon.

Anderson, as the oldest Marine, ate the first piece of cake. The second went to the youngest Marine, 18-year-old Lance Cpl. Leon R. Archibald of Lynn, Mass., the clerk of court for the Piedmont Judicial Circuit.

Archibald has been in the Marine Corps 11 months and 22 days, and this is his first Marine Corps birthday celebration.

"I knew that I wanted to join the military and wanted a challenge," Archibald said. "I wanted to be the best - I wanted to be a Marine."

Archibald said the carefully crafted history lesson associated with the birthday ceremony was interesting and shows him the camaraderie the Corps is all about.

"I'm relieved (at completing boot camp) and honored to be a Marine," Archibald said.

For Anderson the most important thing is to prepare junior troops like Archibald to be future leaders.

"To me, paying tribute to the ones gone before us (is important)," Anderson said. "(But) today we honor the leaders and legends of tomorrow who will be remembered in the same breath as (fifth commandant Col.) Archibald Henderson, (and two-time Medal of Honor recipients Sgt Maj.) Dan Daly and (Maj. Gen.) Smedley Butler."

Ellie

jo_beth
11-10-04, 04:50 PM
Happy 229th Birthday, Marines!

One year older and still going strong!

ORRAH!!!

:banana:

greensideout
11-10-04, 06:14 PM
To each of you;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINE!

tntmondy
11-10-04, 06:45 PM
Happy Birthday Marines

mrbsox
11-10-04, 09:31 PM
Happy Birthday all you Devil Dogs,

and of course you 'Doggetts' (lol)

I say a prayer;

May Gods peace reign supreme,
but until then
I thank the Lord
I'm a U.S. MARINE

Lead, guide, and protect our brothers in harms way. Comfort their families with the peace and knowledge that their cause is right and just. Hold our fallen brothers to your bosom until there is no more need for their kind, and they shall set at the table you have prepared for us all.

Amen

I raise a glass to;

FALLEN BROTHERS

Semper Fidelis

Terry Alan Bowersox Sr.
U.S.M.C.