PDA

View Full Version : President/ Commander in Chief?

Osotogary
11-04-04, 08:24 AM
Does being a President automatically make that person a good Commander-in-Chief?
Can a bad President be a very good and capable Commander-in- Chief?
Can a good President be an inadequate Commander-in-Chief?

What's the trade off? Would you rather have a good President or a good Commander-in- Chief if both, at the same time, were not possible?

USMC-FO
11-04-04, 08:38 AM
No
Yes
Yes

Tough tough question ..... I think the answer is highly dependent on on the values one places, individually, on the various issues that pop up over the course of a presential term. I think all things considered, that I would opt for a less able president who is a good CIC Particularly in this day and age. I guess each of us has to ask ourselves what we have today.

HardJedi
11-04-04, 08:39 AM
personally? I think if you had a good President, he wouldn't NEED to act as the CIC. he would appoint competent cheifs of staff, and keep his hands off. Also, If he was a REALLY good president, I mean the IDEAL PERFECT one, then hell, we wouldn't even have to USE the military, he could just talk everyone into doing what we wanted :)

In all seriousness though, that is an EXCELLENT question, and will require me to do some ACTUALL thinking, to come up with my real answer.

cjwright90
11-04-04, 08:52 AM
Now if the president had three Purple Hearts, would he be a good...Just kidding.
Good question Gary.
Now for my long winded reply:
I do not think being a good president makes you a good CIC right off the bat. It could be possible, I suppose depending on the type of leader that president is. I also think it depends on the situation. Is it peacetime or not? Had the president been a senior military leader prior to his election as president? I think a president that was a senior ground leader in a combat situation might make a better CIC in a non-peacetime scenario. Like a Gen. Schwartzkopf or a Gen. Franks. In peacetime, like Jedi said, a truly Great President would not need a CIC, he could resolve things without military might. My .02.

Osotogary
11-04-04, 09:12 AM
cjwright90,
I most certainly agree that there are too many variables for consideration when answering the questions that I have asked and, I might add, your .02 is worth $$$$$$$$$$. Thanks for your reply. Thanks to everyone for their replies.
Now it's back to Ellie's offerings at "Wake up Marines". LOL

fulmetaljackass
11-04-04, 10:47 AM
cjwright.....think maybe Schwartzkopf or Franks would consider running for office?

decuervo
11-04-04, 11:39 AM
When I saw the question the first thing that came into my head was what I would like to have, and what Bush offers, as both president and CIC.
What I want:
-Strong leadership that says what he means and means what he says
-Someone who respects the armed forces and trusts their judgement
-A person who knows what the presidents role is in domestic and foriegn policy
-A person with a strong moral/ethical compass
What Bush offers:
-He said as much today. He means what he says and says what he means
-He trusted Tommy Franks assessment of the number of ground forces needed to accomplish the mission
-He's a little confused as to domestic issues but has a strong cabinet to help him
-His moral compass points North

I think Bush is the man we need in office for the here and now. I'll be proud to call him boss come January.

mrbsox
11-04-04, 01:44 PM
No, Yes, and Yes ! <br />
<br />
A good Manager surrounds him/her self with good people. <br />
A good Manager knows and respects the abilities and limitations of those people. <br />
A good Manager allows his selected...

hrscowboy
11-04-04, 01:58 PM
i was so happy to hear ashcroft is resigning hes a puke and the scum of the earth...

HardJedi
11-04-04, 02:44 PM
ashcroft is resigning? I hadn't heard that. Good. never liked him when he was here in missouri.