PDA

View Full Version : Re-upping or re-enlisting

decuervo
11-03-04, 11:20 AM
Just went to the local recruiting station here in town to learn a bit more and found out some really cool news. They take your age, subtract the years of active duty, and that's the age they recruit you as. So as a 28 year old with 4 years prior service they take you as if you were 24. How cool is that! That being said I'm thinking about joining the 14th Marine Reserve (infantry) in Waco. Was going to go to OCS and go in as an officer, but the Officer recruiter for the area is a bag of crap. She was late for a few meetings with me and didn't even show up for one. Needless to say that's pretty discouraging. Think I should forge ahead for OCS anyway?

Namvet67
11-03-04, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a personal decision...Ask yourself these questions: Why did you get out the first time..Why do you want back in now..Did you like officers when you were in..

decuervo
11-03-04, 03:59 PM
I got out to get a degree, I want back in because it feels like going back home, and I had a mustang as a platoon commander I respected more than my own father. Looks like I should go back in. Thanks gbudd.

hrscowboy
11-03-04, 05:16 PM
well lets see here ifin your 53 and served 4 years active does that mean I still can reenlist ???

airframesguru
11-03-04, 05:42 PM
hrscowboy,

Sign Here:

Name____________________ Date____________

decuervo
11-04-04, 08:17 AM
Hahahaha! If you could you would I know. Got a date of departure for OCS. January. Apparently they're not taking any new people on til after the 1st of the year. Oh well, guess I have the holidays to get ready.

cjwright90
11-04-04, 08:23 AM
Goodluck, decuervo.

hrscowboy
11-04-04, 09:16 AM
awwwwwwwww hell no i am staying home ...

yellowwing
11-04-04, 10:32 AM
Hey that's terrific, decuervo! I hope you are starting to PT like hell already. I really don't think the Drill Instructors at Quantico will give you any slack!

hrscowboy
11-04-04, 11:28 AM
yellowing tell ya what if you reenlist and we can get cook to do the same along with all the other old timers (old Marine Corps) i will sign the dotted line...

decuervo
11-04-04, 11:56 AM
Thanks yellowwing, I started PT about 5 months ago because this has been on my mind for awhile now. Just had to let my wife in on it and her reaction was, "It took you this long to tell me, I knew what you wanted to do since August. Go sign the papers already". Can't keep anything a secret around her.

yellowwing
11-04-04, 11:59 AM
To tell you the truth, I'd be more willing to go back in as a Corpsman. I'd let the young lads lug around the base plates and the 40mm ammo. I'd make myself very small and zip around with the med kit.

hrscowboy
11-04-04, 12:03 PM
Yellowwing where has your sense of adventure went my brother?

yellowwing
11-04-04, 12:07 PM
Ohhh, I think the Docs in Falluja are having quite the adventure!

hrscowboy
11-04-04, 02:02 PM
I think your gettin soft yellowwing i cant believe this...

yellowwing
11-04-04, 03:04 PM
No way! HM2 Yellowwing patching up grunts in action would not be soft! :)

Sixguns
11-04-04, 05:25 PM
Based on your age and the requirement for a waiver to re-enlist, I think you will find it hard to go the OCS route. If I were you I would focus on getting back in first, then trying to do the OCS thing. The OSO recruiter who stood you up... was she enlisted or officer? Maybe this is a reason why some officers are so down on enlisted Marines. If she is enlisted, she has just given officers another reason to micro-manage enlisted Marines, not to mention that she is making a bad name for female Marines!!!

Sixguns

decuervo
11-04-04, 08:14 PM
Sixguns,
You're right. I have to score a class 1 PFT to even get in (not a problem, been running for 5 months now and can do 20 dead hangs and 100 crunches in 2 mins) I'll get a 300. But that's only for the Air Wing. Ground will take me up to 33 y/o with no compunctions. The thing is the Corps won't promise me a billet as an MOS 7565 AH-1 pilot. It's that or nothing. If I can't strap myself into a Cobra, I don't want to fly an archaic CH-46 that is falling apart under me (literally).
The Army on the other hand guarantees me a flight school billet with the Apaches, in writing, before I even leave for officer training with the option to get out if there's ever a breach of contract during training. I don't know what to do. I'm torn between my love of Corps and my desire to fly an attack helo in close air support of US ground forces. It's a difficult position to be in.
PS The OSO was a WM and is now gone.