PDA

View Full Version : What does "girly men" mean to you?

MillRatUSMC
11-02-04, 05:34 PM
It's now seem that term will crawl into the lanuage after the governor of California used that term.
He has repeat it that term for a voting ad...
But really what does it mean?
Is he saying men lacking in courage or men of low esteem not worthy of being in the company of men more "Man" than him.
Does this also taking in women?
Lacking in courage or women of low esteem not being worthy of being in the company or women more "woman" than her.
We ponder on the meaning of it all,
Life is too short to demean others,
Live and let live,
We're here such a short time...

Sparrowhawk
11-02-04, 05:56 PM
Might have to look at this a bit different...http://www.acapparel.com/images/girlie_man7.jpg http://www.acapparel.com/images/girlie_man9.jpg http://www.acapparel.com/images/girlie_man4.jpg

HardJedi
11-02-04, 06:01 PM
AHHH, some prett nice T-Shirts. I know a couple guy's who could use the PINK one. ( and no, I am NOT one of them LOL )

Sparrowhawk
11-02-04, 06:01 PM
Girlie-Men
The Wall Street Journal ^ | Wednesday, July 21, 2004 | JOSEPH EPSTEIN

Posted on 07/21/2004 5:11:07 AM PDT by presidio9

"Girlie-men" Arnold Schwarzenegger called the Democratic members of the California legislature who, according to the governor, caved in to special interest groups and have consequently thus far refused to pass his stringent state budget. Girlie-men is a wonderfully funny phrase, I think, not least for its atonality, inapplicability, and fine political incorrectness.

You would think that this is a phrase that could only occur to someone whose first language isn't English, as Gov. Schwarzenegger's clearly isn't. In its almost sweet awkwardness, it is right on the edge of being the kind of malaprop people speaking a second language often lapse into. My mother had a Russian friend who specialized in this: referring to her own aging, she claimed she was no "sprung chicken." Shortly after her husband died, she told my mother that the attorneys had put all her husband's money in eggroll, when of course she meant escrow.

But in fact "girlie-man" is not the governor's phrase but derives from the dialogue of two comics calling themselves Hans and Franz doing a foreign-born weightlifters skit on a "Saturday Night Live" parody of Arnold Schwarzenegger. The governor's making use of this material renders it, somehow, all the richer. The text, as academic literary critics like to say, becomes even more layered.

The humorless, who are never in short supply, were quick to point out that Gov. Schwarzenegger's phrase is politically incorrect. His spokesman rushed in to say that the phrase was never intended to question the sexual orientation or even the virility of Democratic legislators. Besides, some of the legislators are women. (Manly-girls, perhaps?) "It's his way of saying they're wimps," the spokesman averred, "they're giving in to the special interests."

But even the word "wimps" isn't as value-free as one might think. My guess is that wimps stands for womanized pimps, pimp in this context having the meaning (at least it did at Senn High School in Chicago in the 1950s) not of a *****master but of someone frail and cowardly. The word "wuss," whose etymology cannot be gone into in a family newspaper, is built out of much the same materials.

Other, older words for the governor's "girlie-men" are pantywaists and pansies; also sissies and weenies. In Yiddish the word of choice is "fageleh," or little bird, from which, my best etymological guess is, the mean word "fag" derives. But girlie-man, pantywaist, pansy, wimp, wuss, fageleh, any way you whistle or care to lisp it, the governor, as in those old Charles Atlas ads that used to appear on the back of the comic books of my youth, was kicking sand in the faces of the Democratic legislators of the state of California.

As a comic-book reader in my boyhood, I took immediately to Gov. Schwarzenegger's phrase, and wondered if I shouldn't, right here on the Op-ed page of The Wall Street Journal, stake my claim for copyright for a new comic book, let us hope to be followed by a movie with "Spider-Man"-like grosses to ensue, called "Girlie-Man."

Girlie-Man, as I envision him, is slight, well groomed, and very carefully dressed, mostly in subtle taupes. He has lank hair, with a receding hairline, and nice hands. Housewives call him in when things go wrong at dinner parties. The arugula wilts just before a large dinner for the boss and his wife. "This" says the man of the house, "is a job for Girlie-Man," who arrives on the scene more quickly than Superman, because he doesn't have to change clothes or even put on a cape. In fact, he designs capes.

In the movie version that I have in mind Girlie-Man is elected a member of the California state legislature, from the Castro District in San Francisco. The governor of the state, a former bodybuilder and a bully, attempts to ram home a tough budget, with less fat than a tenderloin soaked in a lemon-pepper marinade with just the slightest hint of basil.

(Excerpt) Read more at online.wsj.com ...

Sparrowhawk
11-02-04, 06:11 PM
probably say;

I am a Girlie Man... LOL

http://marines.bizland.com/girlie.jpg

Ricardo you got me on a roll....

Sparrowhawk
11-02-04, 06:21 PM
were men without chests

Osotogary
11-02-04, 07:29 PM
Sparrowhawk,
Just 'cause I am flat and I can see my sternum doesn't mean that I am a "Girlie man". LOL (notice that I said sternum not cleavage).

Sgted
11-02-04, 07:33 PM
Geeze.....
Am I a girlie man because I have a sternum with a bit of cleavage .....ummm....chest ???

HardJedi
11-02-04, 07:44 PM
Shoot! if I get me a woman that looks like THAT, I would be PROUD to be a girlie man! LOL

louis5
11-02-04, 07:59 PM
i may be old time ,but i see the girlie man as a non hacker. A person that has the ability,but not the drive to do the mission. some of the strongest people i have encountered were gay. I am not,and do not approve of such . however this USA everone has the right to do as they choose as long as they. Don't try to force other people to the same beliefs

MillRatUSMC
11-02-04, 11:33 PM
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/88/88ghansfranz.phtml

From another message board a post by Mark, it's from Saturday Night Live (SNL)...
That how he comes by Girlie-man or Girlie-Men...
SparrowHawk, you post pixz such as

http://marines.bizland.com/girlie.jpg

We might all turn into Girlie-Men...Ellie's pixz to pump us up are hard on these old tickers.
Now you with the above...
LMAO in northwest Indiana...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

mrbsox
11-03-04, 05:59 AM
"Girlie-Man"

Means you PREFER women.... RIGHT !!

Ellie,
How did Cook get your picture on HIS 'T' shirt ?? lol
And now Ricardo has 1.

MillRatUSMC
11-03-04, 06:12 AM
What I meant, was the pixz that Ellie post on the post of Revillie, Delivery to Pump-up you Marines.

With the pixz that she places in that post, weaken these old hearts.
The mind is willing but the old body says "No Way Jose"...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Osotogary
11-03-04, 06:43 AM
Ricardo,
In regards to Ellie's morning offerings....I always say, "Yes, yes, Jose"... but them I forget what I am saying yes about. LOL Then once I figure what I'm saying yes, yes to I remember that right about now all I am about good for is an introduction.

kentmitchell
11-03-04, 08:23 AM
Girlie men>Jimmy Carter>John Kerry>Michael Moore

I don't like him, didn't vote for him, but Clinton ain't a girlie man.

I like Louis5's definition. Works for me.

jo_beth
11-03-04, 09:51 AM
I'm lost

Namvet67
11-03-04, 10:13 AM
Try reading between the lines jo-beth