PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Sports (Help)

DeNichilo 0300
10-31-04, 09:26 AM
I love to play sports and i wanted to know what they offer in the Marines and how do you sign up to join or try out for the different teams. Thanx

Poolee, De Nichilo

HardJedi
10-31-04, 11:09 AM
well, there was always soccer teams, football teams, flag football, softball, all that kinda stuff when I was in. Usaully just intramureal type leagues. As for how to sign up for them, just wait till you get to your unit, and see what kinda time you are gonna have available. then just go out and sign up.

Sgtj
10-31-04, 05:18 PM
DeNichilo 0300,

If I understand your questions, I think your talking about All-Marine teams. Right? If so, it is really going to depend on your time. Which depends on your MOS. If the 0300 next to your name has anything to do with your prospective MOS then you may be a bit busy. Either way If you do get a chance, once your in just let people in your command know. If your good enough you might get selected. The only team I've seen to tour around and recruit is the All-Marine wrestling team.

Each base has its own sports programs as well. Just wait to you get in. Focus on your training then once you get settled start checking things out.

DeNichilo 0300
10-31-04, 07:07 PM
Thanx corporal and seargent , ya you guys pretty much answered it..............well i chose infantry hence the 0300....so apparently i wont have much time.......well see how much time ill have when i get their. Thank you again

decuervo
11-03-04, 08:17 AM
Congratulations on picking an MOS in the heart of the Corps. I'm proud of you for your choice.

cjwright90
11-03-04, 09:57 AM
First off, 03's rock! Second, you chose the best branch. as for the thread direction, I was on a MAC flight from Guam once and sat next to a guy who was on the Marine Corps Baseball team. that was all he ever did, because I asked him. Not sure how he did that, but never spent any time in the bush, his field training had a diamond in it.

DeNichilo 0300
11-03-04, 06:52 PM
Thank you once again Sir's........god darn cant wait till i ship and get out of my crappy town and my liberal state of Jersey.....

Bush Cheney 04 4 more years

yellowwing
11-03-04, 07:01 PM
AFTER Boot Camp...Don't forget the rifle team. If you get in, you can go to the Camp Perry matches and kick the crap out of those Army shooters!

DeNichilo 0300
11-03-04, 09:50 PM
o0o0 never thought about that one yellowwing........hmm maybe ill try rifle team.

Thats of course if i make it through boot camp

ivalis
11-03-04, 09:52 PM
back in the 60s, i assume it's still true, if you are good enough at sports that's all ya have to do.

they give ya a job handing out towels or something like that and go to practice. good duty if you're good enough.

drillinstructor
11-03-04, 10:46 PM
I love this site but ivalis that is not how it works..ok here it goes nice and brief. You can tryout for any sport you think you can make an All Marine team. If accepted it must get approved by your current command (not your MOS) to travel with the team for 1 year. You will still be attached with the unit that allowed you to go but will be allowed to travel with the team you made for up to a year and you will return after a year of playing. Some dont even go a Year..Like the womens Softball...It goes about 6 months. The command will determine if they can lose you or not. They dont get a replacement for your line number you are holding in the unit so sometimes it is hard but other times leaders really encourage it. Good Luck keep practicing and get to a unit that will afford you the opportunity...DI

CAR
11-04-04, 03:01 AM
Like others have said when you get to your unit you'll have a better picture of what is there. My unit was good at setting up games with other services. Example: on a float we took our units Rugby team and played wherever we set port. Got our butts kicked by Brits in Singapore, Aussies killed us in Perth ( "we was taught a lesson" - good fun though). As a grunt it's tough but we find ways to keep the sports going.
Have fun in the best MOS / Go mortars - Nothing like steel rain.

cjwright90
11-04-04, 07:27 AM
Thank you once again Sir's........

FYI-you would say "gentlemen" instead of "Sir's"...:marine:

DeNichilo 0300
11-04-04, 08:57 AM
good to go

I am really good in soccer and i can play a really mean Wide Reciever at 5'8''........ill probably get bounced around like a rag doll but its all in fun. :)

Walter
11-05-04, 09:13 PM
Once you get to your duty station, find out how long you are scheduled to stay there and then see if you can make a team of your choice. in 1967, I was on the Hqtr. Battalion, 10th Marines, football team, made all the practices and embarked on a Caribbean Cruise, 30 days prior to our first game.

yellowwing
11-05-04, 10:23 PM
I am really good in soccer...
You are sure as sh*t going to learn the true meaning of team in the United State Marine Corps.

If you graduate and earn the title, they won't be a nice dinner celebration at Hooter's once you and your team have cleared out a hostile ville in Somalia, Afghanistan, or Iraq.

Keep up your PT, study your knowledge, keep close to your Recruiter. Never Quit, Never Give Up.

Point being, USMC sports are available in different commands, ONLY if you are a Marine.

I've never seen a civilian on the Silent Drill Team or on the Marine competive shooting team.

aboynameddru
11-11-04, 07:55 PM
Is there an All Marine swim team?

GunnyL
02-23-05, 03:18 PM
I had a guy who "worked for me" when I was in Okinawa. I met him when he checked in and I said goodbye when he checked out. Most Marines got a plaque when they left, I gave him a sports trophy and said "I don't know what kind of Marine you are, but you must be one hell of an athlete."

GunnyL

law_student
02-23-05, 04:12 PM
I know there is an All-Marine Triathlon Team. However, I couldn't find anything about a swim team. Swimmers usually make great triathletes.

Even if there is no team, in the Marines you are just about guaranteed to be close to the water. Over in Japan, a buddy and me used to do an ocean swim every weekend. Besides, Marines are competitive, you'll have no problem finding someone to race.

Old Marine
02-23-05, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by aboynameddru
Is there an All Marine swim team?

They have one in boot camp called "Water Survival."

HardJedi
02-23-05, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Old Marine

They have one in boot camp called "Water Survival."

LMAO!:banana:

wrestler07
02-23-05, 09:45 PM
is there a rugby or wrestling team

lprkn
02-25-05, 02:18 AM
Before anybody asks anymore lame questions, go to this web site (http://www.usmc-mccs.org/SemperFit/sports/sports_main.asp#).

P.S. Capitalization, although difficult to grasp at first, is an effective and useful tool. SO FRIGGIN' USE IT!

*Looks pointedly at wrestler07*

lprkn
02-25-05, 02:20 AM
Researching your topic is awesome. Google is even awesomer.

HardJedi
02-25-05, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by lprkn
awesomer.
Is that even a word? ;) LMAO

lprkn
02-25-05, 07:32 PM
Ummm, sometimes?

Lufthunde
07-12-06, 08:52 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I am using the "New Retired Guy" rule to put in my $0.02.

I was on the All-Marine Bowling team seven times between 1990 and my retirement in 2000. If you met the average requirements, and your command approved, you would go to the PAC/West/East Coast Regional Championships. You would bowl 12 games a day for 4 days and the top 6 men and top 6 women would go the following week to the All-Marine Championships. The All-Marine Championships had the 18 men and 18 women bowl 12 games for 2 days, then bowl an 18 game round robin match play that earned bonus points for winning your match. Then the top 6 men and top 6 women would go on the following week to the Armed Forces Championships and compete against the other services.

Armed Forces Bowling Championships has since changed. But when I was there you bowled 6 games a day over 4 days. 1st day was Team, 2nd day was doubles, 3rd day was mixed-doubles, and the last day was singles. The top 2 eligible men and top 2 eligible women would be invited to the U.S. National Amatuer Championships and compete for a spot on Team USA Bowling. PBA Members are not eligible for Team USA, so the next availible amatuer would represent the services. I went to the Team USA trials in 1993 and got my clock cleaned. But I turned pro in 1994 and was no longer eligible.

To make the All-Marine Bowling Team now, all you need to do is send in an inflated resume to HQMC. If you are picked, you go directly to the Team USA Trials.