PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints and BC

Kp42
10-29-04, 08:27 PM
I have a quick question on BC. Would it be possible for me to bring shoe souls to increase the arc in my feet so that I do not get any shin splints? I wouldn't like to go thorugh it with hurting shins when there is so so much else to worry about. If it's not possible are there any tips that any of you with skin splints can give me? Thanks in advance.
Kylep

LivinSoFree
10-29-04, 09:42 PM
Negative on bringing them with you, *however*, you can probably get away with having them sent to you once you're picked up by your permanent drill instructors (assuming these are insoles). However, in the end, you're gonna have to learn to work through it... and no matter what, boot camp WILL cause you pain.

yellowwing
10-29-04, 10:02 PM
Sounds like a recruiter question to me. Personal preparation sounds in order also. Prior Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance.

Some folks call it "mind games", that's an understatement. The tried and tested know for a fact its not a game.

You are going to be pushed, and you will perform beyond anything you can imagine.

Shin splints be damned, never quit, never give up! The Fedeyeen will not give you a medical chit or cut you any slack. Prepare, prepare, prepare.

Caesar Augustus
10-29-04, 10:33 PM
While I agree you have to fight through pain shin splints are nothing to play around with. Don't be a wuss and just quit but make sure they're not serious otherwise you could end up spending longer than if you had've just gotten them checked out. Don't have them sent u less your DI's know you're getting them because if you try and sneak them and are caught you'll be an integrity violator and can be dropped or worse

drillinstructor
10-29-04, 11:41 PM
Do not bring them...we have them here at our BAS and many recruits are getting them now that we have a new fitness director in place......kill kill kill em all

Kp42
10-31-04, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys

alwaysaMarine_1
10-31-04, 11:28 AM
i had shin splints the whole time i was at boot camp u just gotta push through...i went up the reaper with shin splints and i was the smallest guy in the platoon...it's all a matter of heart

HardJedi
10-31-04, 05:43 PM
man, I never even HEARD of shin splints until I got on these message boards. Now, it seems all kinds of poolees suffer from this ailment. Maybe it's the new style sneakers kids wear these day's or something.

warriorspride
10-31-04, 05:47 PM
When I first started running my shins gave me great pain. Something that I've learned is that if you run on a softer surface you can so to speak increase the amount of stress your shins can take. My old high school track is paved with chewed up rubber that almost cushions the impact while running. After running on that for a while I found I could take any terrain without the reocurence of shin splits.

Kp42
10-31-04, 07:09 PM
I went through half a season of football with skin splints and I played on them but every step I took just hurt and I wasnt having any fun that way, so I went to the score and got some souls for my shoes and havnt had any probs since. I guess I have really flat feet. But I heard like you said "alwaysMarine" you went through whole BC on them, I heard they can develop into bigger problems such as fractures, thats my only worry, other than that I would do anything to be a Marine.

HardJedi
10-31-04, 07:25 PM
don't worry about fractures:D I finished a 20 MILE HUMP WITH SEVERAL stress fractures in my right leg. no lie.

Anyway, of course that was just stupid of me, but no WAY was I going to be a hump drop in SOI.

just take care of yourself, do what you can, and when it gets down to it, never quit.

Caesar Augustus
10-31-04, 08:17 PM
Never quit but don't put yourself in a position where you can't go on. Heart is more important than anything but if you have stress fractures and they turn into a full blown fracture like 2 guys in my PLT you aren't going to fight through it because when your legs the size of texas they're gonna catch it during inspection and send you to BAS.

Kp42
11-01-04, 05:48 PM
I have another question on this site and it's rules. My IP was banned a couple months ago and I was able to come back recently when I was unblocked. I dont know what I was banned for. I think it might of been the post on shooting before you go to bootcamp but im not sure. If anyone could elaborate for me I would appreciate it. My old username was Kylep88, and sorry for any rules I may have broken or any trouble I put you admins through.
Kp