PDA

View Full Version : Derogatory names that Marines gave their enemy.

greensideout
10-29-04, 07:20 PM
CAUTION! The following may contain offensive names and terms that you may not want to view. If you think that you may be offended, click the "back arrow" now!

Still here? I warned you---:D

I'll get this started with a few of the well known names, such as Huck, Nipper, Gook and Slopehead.

thedrifter
10-29-04, 07:23 PM
Well I can say I'm still here, and I know it is Friday...;) :D

Good One greensideout

Ellie

yellowwing
10-29-04, 07:49 PM
Huck? I do not know the history of that one.

greensideout
10-29-04, 08:02 PM
The Hucks were the rebels in the Philipines. That brought about the development of the 1911 pistol. The Brits used a larger grain 38 spl. that they called "the man stopper". As I was told by a Marine, the Hucks would wrap themselves in wire to bullet proof.
The idea of the 1911 was to have a round large enough to knock them down.

Lock-n-Load
10-29-04, 08:10 PM
:marine: Korean War....As greensideout has alluded to...slopes...gook....how's about..."Luke the Gook"... goonies...yobos...goonyland...itty-wa's...kada/gook and moonies. :marine:

Nagalfar
10-29-04, 08:38 PM
Dink(s)

ivalis
10-29-04, 08:46 PM
lifer comes to mind, lol

garryh123
10-29-04, 09:22 PM
Good one ivalis

decuervo
10-30-04, 02:38 AM
Rag head, towel head, sand n******, Desert Sambos, and a few others I forgot.

Sgt. Smitty
10-30-04, 01:33 PM
zipperheads, diaperheads,camel jockies, slopeheads, slant-eyed monkies............etc. LOL

HardJedi
10-31-04, 03:57 AM
Well, I am NOT against this thread at ALl, but let me say this; isn't it amazing all the creative way's mankind can come up with to degrade each other and set ourselves apart from others?

Kraut, Heinie, Hans,Slant, Slope, Gook, Dink, Camel Jocky, Rag Head, Nip, Zip,

and probably many others, like for some that are now allies, or at least PRETEND to be.

Frogs, Redcoats, just to name two

snipowsky
10-31-04, 05:27 AM
Somalia - SKINNIES!

WARNING DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED!

Just some more "politically incorrect" terms. -

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

I think that about covers most of them!:devious:

Rover
11-01-04, 02:18 AM
HardJedi,

What I take offence to is your snide remark that the 'Redcoats', which refers to the British Military, PRETENDING to be allies.

I know of no PRETEND funerals of British or for that matter any other allies fighting alongside American forces in any theatre of operations.

Your;

"My words cannot offend you. You can only CHOOSE to take offense"

are those of one who does not take responsibility for their actions.

NOT a thing a true Marine would even pretend to do.

Rover

kentmitchell
11-01-04, 05:20 AM
Hear, hear, Rover.

Sgted
11-01-04, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
Well, I am NOT against this thread at ALl, but let me say this; isn't it amazing all the creative way's mankind can come up with to degrade each other and set ourselves apart from others?

Beyond Vietnam: Lessons Unlearned.

Try to get your hands on this film.
It addresses this subject and others concerning the Vietnam war (and all wars).
Some of you may have already seen it.
This guy was a combat engineer.
I first attended a lecture by him at a Vietnam Veterans convention in Virgina in 1993.

Beyond Vietnam: Lessons Unlearned
[54 min, Steve Bentley]

In a speech to a group of high school students, a Vietnam War veteran shares his experiences in country and the subsequent psychological effects involved. He discusses his own motives for joining the army, and the message he received as a child of “the good guys” vs. “the bad guys". On television, killing was not only justified but an act of heroism. The reality of war was very different for him.

Trained to suppress their emotions, soldiers wanted only to survive. “Psychological rape,” as he calls it, taught men to dehumanize the enemy in order to kill without thought or feeling. The horror of war, though, would be forever ingrained in the minds of these men. Featuring war footage, this film portrays war in all its ugliness and horror. From the voice of someone who experienced Vietnam firsthand, the American soldier stereotype of heroism and bravery is replaced with the truth of inhuman murder, chronic psychological damage, and lifelong consequences.

HardJedi
11-01-04, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Rover
HardJedi,

What I take offence to is your snide remark that the 'Redcoats', which refers to the British Military, PRETENDING to be allies.

I know of no PRETEND funerals of British or for that matter any other allies fighting alongside American forces in any theatre of operations.

Your;

"My words cannot offend you. You can only CHOOSE to take offense"

are those of one who does not take responsibility for their actions.

NOT a thing a true Marine would even pretend to do.

Rover

sorry, I was talking about the FRENCH, not the English, as for the pretending part. Guess I should have been clearer. Sorry for any confusion. i got all the respect ibn the world for the English. So again, I apologise for not being clearer

what I SHOULD have said was former enemies, like the English who are now allies, and those who pretend to be allies, like the French.

does that suit better?

as for my little quote on the bottom, I ALWAYS take responsibility for anything that I do. The quote is meant to tell you, THINK, or at least ASK FOR CLARIFICATION, before taking offense at something. Words are just words, and are easy to mix up or confuse, so before a person, ( myself included) gets all worked up about what someone said, think first, if it is worth getting worked up over. if you still feel that it is offensive, ASK the person for clarification. that's all that it means.

greensideout
11-01-04, 08:10 PM
Sgted,

This guy that you mention seems way off into left field. Ya, full of sh*t! What he says might work with high school students but doesn't fit reality.

"Soldiers wanted only to survive". Somehow that's makes you invision a hunkered down weak soldier. That very much reminds me of the TV presentation of the Tet. It was bullsh*t too.

"Trained to suppress their emotions". Does anyone here remember that class?

"Taught men to dehumanize the enemy". No class on that either.

This looks like lefty stuff from the 70's.

We gave the enemy a name because of who they are---the VC, gook, raghead, whatever, that's popping rounds at you.

Dehumanize---not at all, just a polite way of saying you're going to die with a name.

Sgted
11-01-04, 08:45 PM
greensideout.
The lecture on the film is set in a high school and he is lecturing students. When I attended his lecture there were all adults (Vets) in the room. The message is intended for all from kids to adults.

Survival sometimes includes great acts of bravery, heroism and selflessness. I do not envision a "hunkered down weak soldier".
Survival is in our DNA. It is something we don't even have to think about.

Surpressing ones emotions in the heat of war is not hard to understand. It is a must in the heat of battles when there is death all around. Some of those being lost are your brothers. While we are not "trained" to do this for most it is automatic. If not, alot of us would fall to pieces and cease being effective in the battle.

Dehumanizing the enemy makes it easier to kill him. I am aware that there was no class on this but the fact still remains.

Within Steve Bentley's lecture there were points made that I agree with and points made that I disagree with.
You would have to see the full 45 minute film to draw your own conclusions.

greensideout
11-01-04, 09:27 PM
Sgted,

I was directing my comments to Steve Bentley's lecture, not you. I feel that there is a total misunderstanding of combat ingaged in by the Marines/Soldiers by many Americans. Because of that I think that it should be presented in a way that truly represents the commitment and dedication of those who ingage in the warfare that preserves the freedoms of America.

As you say, I need to see the film before drawing conclusions. Still wondering though, what year was it made? The 60's and 70's make me suspect of the intent.

Semper Fi

Sgted
11-01-04, 10:08 PM
greensideout......
I didn't take your comments personally.
And I certainly respect your opinion.
And....I agree with you 110% that Americans, for the most part don't have a clue about combat from a well trained Marines perspective.
Freedoms enjoyed by this society are second nature. Few take the time to think about the human toll spent securing and keeping the freedom we embrace.

The film was made in the late 80's.
It discusses, among other things, PTSD including the roots and history of PTSD. ( ie: WWII Vets were "shell shocked").
Some soldiers in earlier wars were called cowards when they suffered from PTSD.
He discusses the problems associated with "rotation" in the Vietnam war, 12 months (13 for us Marines) and just that fast you leave your unit, and, more importantly your brothers behind to return to the "world".
He talks of how, when we are growing up we are programmed to dehumanize in the most innocent ways. Like the good guys wear white, the bad guys wear black (ie: The lone Ranger, etc).
Theres much more to this then I can write here.

Its just one mans opinion on a subject thats controversal.

Semper Fi,
Ed.

Rover
11-02-04, 01:53 PM
HardJedi,

Apology accepted.

I am not English but British, although trying to explain the difference would no doubt take forever.

Churchell was right when he said "Two great nations divided by the same language".

Semper Fi,
Rover

HardJedi
11-02-04, 01:58 PM
oh, I understand the difference fairly well between the British and the English, Rover. Like most people I just tend to be a little lazy and lump em all together. :D

Glad we got that straitened out.

cjwright90
11-02-04, 02:11 PM
Most British people I know call us English, and themselves British. Makes a little sense to me. As for the original track of the thread, I cannot think of any others that were not already mentioned, except Charlie. Maybe if I was a combat Marine, I would have some more.