PDA

View Full Version : MOS advice

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:05 PM
I will be heading to meps soon and I still have not chosen a career path yet. Could anyone give me advice on which MOSs to stay away from so I know. Thanks

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:08 PM
Well, son, we would need to know ALOT more about YOU, and what you are good at, and what you DON'T want to do, before we could answer that. give us some details, and we will be glad to help you out, if we can.

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:12 PM
hell yes become a winger an airwinger great duty....

yellowwing
10-28-04, 07:25 PM
As I recall Hrscowboy, the only time you saw a chopper was on the inside, riding out to pull grunts in from the field. An invaluable contribution, but not really a true Swing with the Wing.

You know, longish hair, 8 hour days, weekends on the beach...

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:27 PM
I have a wife and a son (1 year old). I want something that if I am stationed somewhere where they are allowed to come I will be able to see them. I fully understand that there is a possiblilty that I could go to iraq and I am not afraid. I am currently working a computer job but I dont think that is what I would like to do in the marines.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:30 PM
well, almost EVERY MOS that I know of, YOUR first enlistment is an UNACCOMPANIED tour. meaning that the Corps will NOT pay to have your wife and kid shipped over, and they will NOT give you base housing. at least, that's how it was ion MY time. that being said, go for an admin job or mechanic or something like that.

stay away from ANY combat arms job. at least, if you wanna see your wife and kid.

Oh, and I am pretty sure, no matterwhat, you will spend SOME time over seas. weather on a deployment, or stationed. I could be wrong about that part though.

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:32 PM
so even if I pick an admin job I will still have to pull an unaccompanied tour? how long would it be?

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:35 PM
yes, ALL first enlistment tour are unaccompanied. somebody back me up on this. at least over seas they are. If you get stationed stateside, I am pretty sure you can get housing and the like. as for overseas tours? Depends. A deployment is SUPPOSED to be six months in peace time, and getting stationed overseas can be anywhere from 18 months to three years

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:38 PM
yeah jedi your right but i dont get where you figure long hair weekends on the beach lets see what was the other one oh yeah 8 hr days, i can tell you in the old corps that was not the way it was we also flew medivacs and that was a 24 hour job no matter what time it was and it didnt matter what branch of the service we medivaced either. also my dear friend how many hot LZs do you think a ch-53 or 46s flew into to get our young men out??? many my friend many. but then again with you being of the new marine corps maybe your right...

greensideout
10-28-04, 07:38 PM
If you end up FMF, give them both a kiss and tell'em you will miss them. If that is a problem, without knowing more about you, then you may want to question joining at all. But if you really want to be a Marine, go for it and take the MOS that best serves the Marine Corps---and maybe even you too. I wish you well.

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:39 PM
that sucks, I have already spoken to army and Coast guard recruiters and know most of there policies for this but for the marines, I dont know.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:39 PM
hey, YELLOWING is the one who was talking about the long hair and the beaches! LOL not me!

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:40 PM
whats FMF

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
that sucks, I have already spoken to army and Coast guard recruiters and know most of there policies for this but for the marines, I dont know.

well, what else do you want to know? and for your own benefit? Marines is ALWAYS spelled with a capatil letter.

it's a title, not a descriptive term ;)

FMF= Fleet Marine Force

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:43 PM
So Fleet Marine Force, that being stationed on a ship.

sorry about the no-cap on the Marine :)

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:45 PM
no, Fleet Marine Force is , well, how do I put this? Hmmmmm well, infantry and people attached to combat arms units. Marines, with the exception of small security detachemnts are not stationed on ships. we TRAVEL on them for a time, but are not stationed on them.

What else am I amissing about who belongs to the FMF? anyone?

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:48 PM
My cousin is in demolitions and is stationed at Camp Lejune. He also told me that Administration would be good because he knows I have a family. Would Admin be in FMF for any reason.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:49 PM
well, depends on what unit you get attached to, I am pretty sure. come one, somone else help me out here! LOL, my brain hurts from trying to remember all this stuff !

greensideout
10-28-04, 07:51 PM
FMF can put you on a ship, on quick deployment, on tour across the pond and sometimes even here in the U.S., quick deployment still applys. Most likely lots of TDY (away from your current station) etc.

It's the BEST part of Marine Corps duty.

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:51 PM
air wing my friend jedi wants you to be a ground pounder

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:53 PM
no I don't! not if he has a wife and KID! I am telling him to stay AWAY from combat arms.

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:56 PM
oh ok then greenside and you want him to be a groundpounder hell son why walk when you can ride remember that save your feet. you will know what i mean by that when you get older...

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 07:58 PM
I will probably try administration. If they try to give me open contract I am walking. I have heard of alot of people getting screwed like that. It was hard for me to get in I have a juvenile record that needs to be waved but my recruiter says he got aproval (after I was rejected once!) so I have to write a statment and so forth. I was also interested in the Army, but I like the Marines because from what I hear the training and treatment are better.

greensideout
10-28-04, 08:00 PM
Jeremiah, Your recruiter will be more up to date about your questions then I. Good luck.

hrscowboy, sometimes Wingers are FMF too. :D

HardJedi
10-28-04, 08:01 PM
Well, try for something that will benefit you AFTER you leave The Corps, if you do.

You know, something USEFULL. I don't know what all jobs admin has to offer, I never paid any attention to those guy's really. but I am sure there are alot of different jobs in the admin field.

Or like cowboy said, go Airwing. Just not anything where you will be a crew member on a chopper.

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 08:02 PM
I dont trust my recruiter. He already tried to get me to lie on my application about my juv. record. He is the type that will tell you anything to get you in.

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 08:03 PM
what type of airwing jobs are there besides CM on Chopper

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 08:04 PM
hahahah yeah i know brother i am just playin with you and hardjedi... seriously young man your recruiter will know what you can do after he talks with you and ask you several questions. you need to confide in your recruiter and your heart to make sure you actually want to do this..

HardJedi
10-28-04, 08:07 PM
Air wingers? any help here? what alll DO you guy's do besides loaf around and suck up money? LOL

Come on now I was just KIDDING! :D

I am pretty sure they have mechanics and fuel guy's and thoise guy's who tell em where to land. then there is the avionice guy's the ones who work on the electronics, ya know? ummmm, thats all my poor little grunt brain can think of ;)

HEll sone, tyhere is also Air traffic controller, and I THINK there are even Marine meteorologists!

greensideout
10-28-04, 08:11 PM
HardJedi,

You want an extraction when?

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 08:14 PM
Yeah I was interested in meteorology but I do not know of anyone who could give me an honest opinion about that MOS

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 08:30 PM
hes gonna get an extraction alright...

HardJedi
10-28-04, 08:31 PM
i only knew one guy with that MOS ever, so I know nothing about it.

greensideout
10-28-04, 08:31 PM
Jeremiah, I am going to say this as nice as I know how.

If you don't trust anyone, way should anyone trust you?

Go to your recruiter with you questions.

Glad you came by but the Marine recruiter you are mouthing happens to be one of our brothers. Consider this as lesson number one!

Now, if you want to talk meteorolgy lets talk. I love that subject.

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know the details of that MOS?

HardJedi
10-28-04, 08:41 PM
doubtfull. that one you would HAVE to ask a recruiter

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 08:52 PM
Hey if I go to meps and I decide not to sign the DEP contract (like if they try to give me open contract or something) isnt that meps visit good for 2 years, like if I decide to choose another branch.

Phantom Blooper
10-28-04, 08:55 PM
A weatherman can not give himself advice on meteorology.Sometimes they need to put a window in thier office and forego the computers,sattellites and weather balloons.LOL! Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall:marine:

HardJedi
10-28-04, 08:58 PM
Hey if I go to meps and I decide not to sign the DEP contract (like if they try to give me open contract or something) isnt that meps visit good for 2 years, like if I decide to choose another branch.

i don't think so. I initially tried to join the national gaurd my junior ywear in HS. went to the meps and everything. Failed my hearing test and they wanted to make me a COOK!

So I went to the Marine recruiter, and had to do the meps thing over again.

Might be different now, or maybe I only had to go twice cause I failed my hearing test. not sure

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 09:00 PM
can anyone anwser this question?

snipowsky
10-28-04, 09:31 PM
If I was you I'd get an MOS that you can use in the civilian sector if you decide not to be a lifer. I was in the Infantry and the only jobs that qualifies me for are either armed security, law enforcement or maybe a paid mercenary.

I'd do something in Firefighting or something in the computer field if I could do it again. I loved being in the Grunts, but sometimes I wished I was in the Airwing or something not so physically demanding at times. Just make sure it's something you like because after being in the Marines awhile you will be hating life if you don't like doing your job everyday.

And why on earth would you want to join any other branch besides the Marines? Are you some wussy or something?

enviro
10-28-04, 09:34 PM
FMF is any where operational Marine forces are. Land or sea.

You'll go to bootcamp, MCT or ITB, then one or more MOS schools. This could take up to a year. You will be unaccompanied here stateside during that time. After bootcamp and MCT, you can take leave during specified times or pay out of your own pocket to move your family near your school. Bad idea since you will move again shortly.

You most likely will get orders stateside or CONUS (Continental US). You may go overseas or OCONUS (Outside Cont. US).

You are either in training, FMF, or in a B Billet (drill instructor, recruiter, etc.)

You will work long hours each day in the wing. You will work a lot in the field in you go ground side (week or two at a time).

Either way, you earn your pay. Being admin isn't any eaier on a family than any other MOS. Admin deploys too.

Talk it over real well with a recruiter, but also do your homework on the internet.

mrbsox
10-28-04, 09:34 PM
Reading thru all this.... phew !!

Haven't seen anybody mention TEST SCORES !!
The Corps WILL put you where they need your body. If you sign air traffic controller for example, that is AFTER your schooling. If your schooling is delayed by combat arms training, THAT is where the Corps needed you.

TEST SCORES, help the Corps determine where they will need you the most. The better your scores, the better your chances of following your primary path, whatever that is. You bomb out on tests, and your right index finger works good, guess where the Corps needs you !!

As you were looking thru the 'Job Brochure' at the recruiters office, what sparked you ?? What do YOU like doing ?? You said you were working in computers, but you didn't say what you do, or if you enjoy the challanges of getting the cover screw in without cross threading it.
Hell.... my son got a job at Dell;
SHIPPING, But..... he worked for a computer company !!

YOU have to decide what your primary MOS track will be. You want a stateside tour, PLAN that it WILL NOT HAPPEN !!. Then if it does, it's a pick up, not a let down, that could make you angry at the Corps.

2 cents, and change !!

HardJedi
10-28-04, 09:41 PM
thansk guy's for joining in! ;)

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 10:14 PM
I appreciate everyones input I am in computer data entry right now. I am interested in wingman but I have no info on it what would be a good MOS in that feild. Meteorology sounds ok but I know I will probably have to score pretty high for that one. I am studying for the test though. What types of MOS for wingman. And no snypowsky I am not a wuss I initially wanted the Marine Corps for the extra training after hearing that the Army boot camp has gone soft. I hear they dont even do runs in boots anymore. (I know the Marines do runs in boots sometimes.)

HardJedi
10-28-04, 10:18 PM
There is no sometimes, as far as running goes in Marine Corps Boot. You run DAILEY. at least, we sure as heck did. Snipowsky was just giving you a hard time with that wuss question;)

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 10:26 PM
I mean running in boots instead or running shoes. I know he was kidding

mrbsox
10-28-04, 10:27 PM
Wing Man.... I've got that game on CD :banana:

Are you talking about being a pilot ?? Or working on Wings ??

Lots of more schooling to do to be an Officer, and Pilot. And Marine pilots go thru Grunt training FIRST. That's part of their/our edge. They KNOW what the boots on the ground are doing, and need from an air strike.

Air frames, crewman, ground support, mechanic. Lots of schooling there too. You got to know the equipment inside out, be able to fix it in the dark, with the wrong tools, get her back in the air and home again.... GRUNTS are depending on YOU to get that air strike they need.

Test Scores !!! Decisions to make !!! Better get started !!!

Good luck, and MAKE SURE the little lady is OK and supportive of what you choose. And not JUST
'yes dear, if that's what you want to do'

It WILL be long and hard on her also. Disappear for a weekend, she how she handles the solitude (with her permission of course). No contact, kissing, hugging, loving... MONTHS OF THAT. This is what your decision will entail.

And that's just while your in 3 months of Boot Camp !!

Starting to sound kind of like you waited too long to start your research

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 10:36 PM
what exactly does a wingman do

HardJedi
10-28-04, 10:43 PM
do you mean AIR WINGER? or an ACTUAL wingman?

air wingers have SEVERAL types of jobs.

a WIngman is a pilot of some type, who is responsible for covering another pilot in his squadron. ( I think)

Jeremiah
10-28-04, 10:55 PM
I ment winger my mistake.

hrscowboy
10-29-04, 12:06 AM
yeah the new Marine corps boot camp run in boots but in the old corps we used to run 3 miles in our bare feet they wanted us tuff and they did it too...

HardJedi
10-29-04, 01:08 AM
oh no, not more OLD CORPS stuff ( sigh) LOL :D

hrscowboy
10-29-04, 03:17 AM
airwingers (support crew) air craft maintance helo maintance ground crews door gunners crew chiefman crash crew (fireman) all these are just a part of airwingers alot of the airwingers have alot of mechanical background skills and had the test scores to become airwingers although they are trained as basic rifleman in boot camp. if you have mechanical skills sharpen up on them before your testing it will really help you..

cjwright90
10-29-04, 06:35 AM
Even S shops get deployed. There is administrative stuff even in combat, someone needs to keep track of who is where, etc. It is a thought process that needs to be included. Not trying to talk you out of anything, we are all prouder than proud to be Marines, here, even the Wingers...but we also can see where you are coming from looking out for your family. It was easy for me, when I went in. I was single, not even dating at the time, no kids, no job. My decision made itself. All I had to do was pick the branch. We all know which I chose. :marine:

enviro
10-29-04, 09:11 AM
If you decide to go Aircraft Maintenance, you just get assigned the 6000 or 6500 MOS field. There are MANY jobs in those OccFields (Occupational Fields). You won't get to decide exactly which one you get. You'll get assigned based on the needs of the Marine Corps. Then it's divided up even further than that; I-Level and O - Level. I-Level works on aircraft parts, O-Level works on the aircraft directly.

Crap, I could go on forever. You are going to have to narrow this down a little further.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/blmarinejobs.htm

radio relay
10-29-04, 09:17 AM
Wow, this thread is such compelling reading... NOT!

Join the Air Force, kid.

Just by the questions you ask, I can tell you ain't got what it takes to be a Marine. Even a poge, like me, will kick your a$$ from here and back.

The Air Force, will pat you on the hiney and play twenty questions all day long.

I'd also recommend the Navy, but you might fall off the ship, and then where would your dumb butt be?

yellowwing
10-29-04, 09:38 AM
Its great you want to serve your county, Jeremiah. I have to say, I'd put my wife and kids first.

Our Marine Corps is not the easiest way to go. We have a longer boot camp and combat training cycle. Plus you'll more than likely be overseas in a foriegn land for at least a year without your family.

The Air Force does have many good opportunities for a family man. A shorter initial training cycle, good technical training, and more State Side duty stations. And you still will be Serving your Country.

Quote from Gen. Patton, "Thirty years from now when you're sitting around your fireside with your grandson on your knee, and he asks you, What did you do in the great World War Two? You won't have to say, Well, I shoveled **** in Louisiana."

Jeremiah
10-29-04, 11:35 AM
Hey radio relay thats a real motavational statement. I would love to see you kick my a$$ from here and back. I appreciate everyones comments. I do want the Marines, its like a family tradition. I have family in there now. I cant get in the air force because I have a juvenille record thats pretty bad. I was rejected once by the Marines and a freind of mine who knows the guy that makes that decision talked to him and told him the full story so he took a chance and let me in. I know the air force will not be so generious. I could always do the Army but the Marines really stand out as the elite and thats what I like about them. Physically I am in great shape and the only thing to worry about in boot camp are the mind games. My family understands that I wish to serve my country and they respect any decision I make. And radio relay, I loved those comments, I am sure your compulsivness to talk smack on a message board shows your lack of real world balls and maturity. As for everyone else thank you for understanding and for your insight, I have the upmost respect for you and the service you have given to our great nation. I hope I will have the same opportunity to serve my country as well.

Walter Dampier
10-29-04, 11:40 AM

yellowwing
10-29-04, 11:45 AM
Jeremiah, you better smartin up a start showing respect.

You haven't earned nothing yet. And you ABOLUTELY DO NOT have any right to judge us.

You asked for advice and many of us are freely giving it. If you don't like what some have to say, tough sh*t!

LivinSoFree
10-29-04, 11:52 AM
Jeremiah, I'd watch yourself. You're treading on dangerous ground with the Sergeant, and if you were a Marine, you'd understand that there was respect due his rank, as well as that due any Marine, but since you're obviously not one, you should at the very least show the courtesy required of any GUEST, which is what you are here, a guest, to whom these Marines have extended great forbearance. If you don't like what radio relay has to say, that's fine, but the Sergeant has earned his chops, which is something you have not, and I think you'll find that perhaps his rougher brand of honesty is far more common in the Marine Corps than perhaps would make you comfortable.

drillinstructor
10-29-04, 12:19 PM
you will not be picked for an overseas tour if you joined the Corps with a wife and child you will be stationed stateside. This does not mean you will stay there with them. You may be with a meu or a victor unit that deploys for 6 months at a time...3rd Marines in Hawaii do 7 month pumps to Oki and back for 14 doing workups. This means your family will stay at your station while you deploy for 6 months. Now days all the deployable units are doing 1 year in Iraq. You can get lucky and attached to a base unit that does not deploy but provides support for the Marines that do deploy. Once you aquire some rank you can do an accomp. tour overseas this is if your overseas control date is old. When you deploy from stateside it changes your ocd. There are many different avenues but being a Marine means time away..get used to it.

drillinstructor
10-29-04, 12:27 PM
just come my way you will not like me and I will not like you until I see you walk across that parade deck..Civilian slime to Marine is great but now you are civilian wanna be.....god I hope you come to Sd please let me know.....And odds are you may not be in my platoon but all Drill Instructors know and work many hours togther he ha...dont be offended...it is my job to put that respect in you...something you do not have yet

Jeremiah
10-29-04, 12:53 PM
I had no intention of offending you guys and I appolize. You are absolutely right I have not earned anything yet. Drill instructor I will probably go to Paris Island for BC because I live in VA

cjwright90
10-29-04, 12:58 PM
That is something that you will learn quickly, both here and in boot camp-you will respect Marines.

radio relay
10-29-04, 01:05 PM
Your response proves my point. Your ego can't take a little poke, sweetie?

Just wait until a Drill Instructor gets your rearend into the pit. Maybe you'll get lucky, and it'll be our very own leatherneck.com D.I.

You Slime Infested, Non-Hackin', Puke For Brains Scum Bag!! Can you say, "Push Ups 'Til I Get Tired!"?

The Air Force needs "weathermen". The Marine Corps needs Riflemen&women!

Out!

hrscowboy
10-29-04, 01:12 PM
whoa here jeremiah your talking about a combat veteran that served his country in time when you probably wasnt even thought of yet. Radio also happens to be a sgt an NCO which you have not had the pleasure to see what an NCO even does yet. but i can tell you this from CPL all the way up the command in the enlisted ranks you better stop and listen because they are the leaders of the Marine Corps, Its not the generals or the officers its the NCO that makes the Marine Corps and if your so lucky to become one of us Then you will see exactly what i am saying to you. and young man i dont care how bad you think you are I can tell you for a fact that if this NCO ever sees or meets you if you can be one of us and pass the extreme tests, you better have your **** squared away, you better not let me hear you speak disrespectful to any NCO in Leatherneck.com or i will ask to have you banned from this web site.

cjwright90
10-29-04, 01:13 PM
My mother got called quite a few things when I was in boot. If you can't take that stuff, or the mind games, which there is a lot, then all I can say is Stand the he!! by! On my quarterdeck!

hrscowboy
10-29-04, 10:40 PM
WELL IN THE OLD MARINE CORPS you werent allowed to have a mother.....

yellowwing
10-29-04, 11:20 PM
NCOs and SNCOs. Even as an rear echelon type I hardly saw an officer in a regular unit. I miss the old Master Sergeants.

Top Bassett saw me draggin' ass one day and stopped to talk to me about it. "What's going with you Kannon, you look like sh*t."

I told him about my third shift roommate keeping me awake with odd hours. He said, "I can see that, come with me."

He goes and picks up the phone to the Company Gunny, "Top Bassett here, get Kannon with a 1st shift roommate."

And that was all he said. I reported to the Company Gunny that afternoon with a new billet ready to go.

Gotta' love that!

JAMarine
10-30-04, 01:05 AM
Marines, you've all had some damn good lessons learned to pass on to MR. Jeremiah. You all are what this HOME is all about. For Gerald, "our" late Brother Roger and all the rest of us Mod's we appreciate your Service, Time and your Up Front Honest Advice you give to these young (sometimes ignorant) individuals.

And Yes Jeremiah I said IGNORANT. But that's not a Bad Thing. We were all Ignorant to some point as we tried to make our FootPrints in life. Some are just more Ignorant than others.

Jeremiah, I'm not going to attempt to give additional advice or opinions.

Good Luck to you Jeremiah and by the way, you may want to step back and Thank these Marines that have been HONEST with you......

oh no there I go giving advice........

Semper Fi Marines

Debate_god21
10-30-04, 10:24 AM
I will be heading to meps soon and I still have not chosen a career path yet. Could anyone give me advice on which MOSs to stay away from so I know. Thanks

Choose 4300 - Public Affairs, it's fun! Besides, we need more people!

Debate_god21
10-30-04, 10:31 AM
With picking an MOS, pick something you're good at in the civilian sector. I'm good at writing, so naturally I chose Public Affairs. I've already got a 3 job offers lined up after I get out! I also write freelance console articles for different gaming magazines! My MOS has served me well.

yellowwing
10-30-04, 01:30 PM
Just keep committed to the here and now. After is after. Semper Fi, Bro! :marine:

decuervo
10-31-04, 08:06 AM
As to MOS, pick something you're interested in. If you don't like your job your morale will suffer and bring down the general motivation of your squad, platoon, company, and the Corps. Which is detrimental to your well being and your NCO's happiness. I wanted to blow up things in new and constructive ways so I picked the only infantry MOS that gave me access to large quantities of demo, 0351. Just do what you're interested in and the rest is lemon pound cake.

HardJedi
10-31-04, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by decuervo
and the rest is lemon pound cake.

why is THAT a good thing? LOL:banana:

decuervo
11-01-04, 07:12 AM
What? That was the only good thing to ever come out of the "ham slice" MRE, and I ALWAYS got that, which really blows cause A) I'm jewish and B) nobody would trade. Figures.

PS Did you realise that there are BLUE M&M's in the MRE M&M pouches now? Welcome to the 21st century.

cjwright90
11-01-04, 07:21 AM
M&Ms in MREs? I'm re-upping!

HardJedi
11-01-04, 12:31 PM
hey the ham slice was better than the "four fingers of DEATH'

otherwise known as those damn hot dog type things LOL

dogtags77536
11-01-04, 12:52 PM
I started out as a 5811 (Military Police), 1 year and was able to move up to 5815 (Special Reaction Section /SWAT) for 5 years at Camp Pendleton which was a really fun and interesting job that opened many doors. I am now a police officer and my job in the Corps help prepare me some. Just make sure you sign up for something you want and will help you out in the civilian sector, if you choose to get out. Best of luck.

dogtags77536
11-01-04, 12:53 PM
any 1 else at or from Camp Pendleton, or an MP in here ?

GunnyL
11-01-04, 01:52 PM
First and foremost, all First Enlistments are not "Unaccompanied". If you are stationed in the States, then your family can accompany you to your base. You will have to put your name on the waiting list for Base Housing and will have to find adequate quarters for your family. Don't just show up with your family without first checking in yourself and making the proper arrangements. Keep in mind that this is once you are finished with Recruit Training and School. If you are stationed Overseas, then that is a different story and yes you would most likely be on an unaccompanied tour. The current unaccompanied tour in Okinawa is 24 Months. As far as an MOS, it all depends on your interests and what you want to accomplish while you are in the Marine Corps. If you go into the infantry, you won't see much of your family. You'll only be doing 6 Month deployments vs 24 Month Unaccompanied tours overseas but you'll never see them even when you are home. If you are gifted in the area of Computers, the Marine Corps offers a lot of High Tech jobs that may suit your interests. It also depends on how you scored on the ASVAB, what you are qualified for and what the Marine Corps currently has available. You need to sit down with your Recruiter and have him go over what options are available to you and help you choose based on your qualifications and needs and also the current needs of the Corps. Also keep in mind that the Marine Corps guarantees a Career Field, not specific MOS's. Example, they can guarantee you Military Police. That means Military Police, you can't choose K-9, Criminal Investidation Division and so on. You can go into Aircraft Maintenance, you can't pick Structural Mechanic on an F-18, where you end up depends on your competencies and the needs of the Marine Corps at that particular time.
Keep in mind, when you decided to raise your hand and swear the oath, you were vying for the opportunity to earn the title Marine! Everything else is icing on the cake.

Semper Fi!

Debate_god21
11-01-04, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Just keep committed to the here and now. After is after. Semper Fi, Bro! :marine:

Will do! Thanks!

GySgtRet
11-01-04, 04:32 PM
Jeremiah, <br />
<br />
I spent 39 months on Recruiting Duty in Buffalo New York in the 80's. If we even thought about falsefying records we were gone...!! It seems that things have changed. I think that...

mrbsox
11-01-04, 04:41 PM
MRE's ???

MRE's

MRE's

Sounds like a GOOD place for

IN THE OLD CORPS...

We didn't have no MRE's

Ration, Combat, Individual, 1 each

Ham and Eggs, Beans and Balls, Chicken Loaf (parts is parts), Sh!t discs,

Yummmmmmmmmm, those were the days :banana:

decuervo
11-01-04, 07:17 PM
mrbsox
you're missing out! we should send you some good stuff they have now. (saw this on the History Channel- Tactical to Practical). These guys have all kinds of stuff now!!! Vegetarian meals, chicken tetrazini, teryaki, and some other crap I can't imagine eating outside of a restaraunt. I heard D rats were good tho.

HardJedi LMAO I totally forgot about the 4 fingers!! Thanks man, those things weren't even digestable. They came out the other end whole.

HardJedi
11-01-04, 07:24 PM
Yep DC, I remember everytime someone pulled one of those pieces of Sh#t!

they would always yell out something about being cursed with the four fingers LOL

mrbsox
11-01-04, 08:58 PM
I've pick up a couple at the local surplus store, owned by a Veteran (Nam era) Marine. Jambalia w/shrimp I think, and one other.

The heaters are cool, but can't see eating much of that stuff cold. But of course, 'Beef and Rocks' was pretty bad cold too, AFTER you got thru the 1/2" of grease on top (always open upside down) !!

hrscowboy
11-01-04, 10:48 PM
Beef and rocks my god i wish i had some of those i love them suckers hummmmmmmmm made me hungry...

decuervo
11-03-04, 08:13 AM
The heaters make pretty good improvised bombs too. Take the heater pad out and take out the powder, put it into an empty plastic coke bottle, add some water, close the cap and throw. Not very explosive but fun to spice up the morning for anyone not fully awake.

cjwright90
11-03-04, 09:45 AM
HardJedi LMAO I totally forgot about the 4 fingers!! Thanks man, those things weren't even digestable. They came out the other end whole.

That is, of course, when you finally could go...LOL

decuervo
11-03-04, 11:15 AM
wasn't the gum suppossed to be a laxative? i don't think it worked.

DSchmitke
11-03-04, 12:19 PM
No it's the round candy bar. Or better know as the sh!t disc. in C-Rats.