PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Ethics.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 04:03 PM
Now please, do NOT think of this in terms of right and wrong. Only if it is ETHICAL or UNETHICAL. And then, please give me your reasons why, good or bad.

This is a question that was posed to me in college ethics class, and (big suprise) I differed from almost everyone else.

so here's the question

Is it ethical to take $5000.00 from someone, to kill another person?

Remember, I am not asking you if it is MORALLY right, just if it is ethical. and WHY, or why NOT?

I'll give you my answer, and reasons, after a few answers are posted.

thanks for the help.

yellowwing
10-28-04, 04:17 PM
Ethically, I would say yes. But ONLY if one was actually going to do the job.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 04:20 PM
SWEET MARY MOTHER OF GOD! that was EXACTLY my point ! I have agreed with Yellowing! HEll has froizen over! Cats, are mating with dogs! the Red Sox won the world series! it's total CHAOS! LOL

Anyway, I say it is ethical as well, as long as you follow through with the contract.

mrbsox
10-28-04, 05:59 PM
How can you seperate ETHICS from MORALITY ??

To stick to the point;

If you accept the 'contract', you are bound by ethics to fulfill your obligation.

Ethically, if the deed was to the betterment of society as a whole, (weed out the gene pool), then it sounds like the thing to do, regardless of $$$

One can probably justify their actions, with the correct argurement.

ivalis
10-28-04, 06:03 PM
"weed out the gene pool", holy cow, another eichman/hitler.

mrbsox, should change his handle to "mrfinalsolution".

CPLRapoza
10-28-04, 06:17 PM
I totally agree. A mans word is his bond, by excepting the money he has givin his word to complete the assigned taks. Therefore if he doesn't follow through he, is un-ethical and that's bad for buisness.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mrbsox
How can you seperate ETHICS from MORALITY ??

It's actually pretty easy. Just ask ANY big buisiness, or government. The two USAULLY don't have alot to do with each other. At least, that's what I think.

I think that's where most people get confused. they try and combine ethics with morality.

On a side note, thanks for your .02 Ivalis ;) (sigh)

greensideout
10-28-04, 06:42 PM
I guess this question works if no absolutes exist or are accepted.

Without a foundation to work from anything goes.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 06:44 PM
HUH? explain that please, Greensideout. There is a DEFFINATE foundation in everything, and it is NOT an anything goes situation.

Please, elaborate your answer?

greensideout
10-28-04, 06:59 PM
Foundation means to me that a set of rules exist in it's formation.

Within the guidelines of those rules you will find the answer.

The answer will be consistant with the foundation.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:06 PM
YEp. that's exactly what this applies to. There is a set of rules(ethics) and Ethics say's if you agree to a job, you do it. you fulfill your contract. Ethics does NOT say, depending on what the contract IS. (what the contract is, and if you should accept it or not, is a matter of morality) :)

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:09 PM
5,000.00 to bump someone off aint enough money for me i need a cool 1,000,000 then we talk after i have the money in cash in small demoninations.. just give me the time and place... hahaha

yellowwing
10-28-04, 07:13 PM
Yeah, and if we get caught, we could hire Johnny Cochran to employ an Ethics Defense. "Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, my client was ethically bound to end the life of this scourge on our community."

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:16 PM
AWWW now, come on Yellowing, you AGREED that it is ethical, if you follow through, now you are just trying to stir stuff up! LOL

greensideout
10-28-04, 07:19 PM
You're having way too much fun with this HardJedi!

I've got to admit, I often bring my morals to an ethical choice. ;)

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:49 PM
just get the damn money together i am ready...

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:50 PM
thats not the point and you know it cowboy! LOL

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:53 PM
whats the point then i am makin money and your getting rid of a thorn in your side hell whats better...

HardJedi
10-28-04, 07:57 PM
LOL, you kill me.

It's a HYPOTHETICAL situation, it's only made up, to discuss the ethical chlalenges inherent in life. ;)

hrscowboy
10-28-04, 07:59 PM
damn now you got me depressed need to get my zoloft out now..