PDA

View Full Version : We fight and die... even in Public Affairs

boodrowusmc
10-27-04, 10:08 AM
There's a memoriam for a videographer at http://www.dinfos.osd.mil/ that shows that, in the Marines, even the palm pressers, newswriters, photographers and DJ's face danger.

As a Marine going to school for Combat Correspondant right now, I can defintely say that there is no other branch I'd rather be in than the USMC. We're warriors first and always.

P.S. Cpl Salazar was the first PA Marine to die in combat since Vietnam.

Semper Fi

CplCrotty
10-27-04, 10:23 AM
boodrowusmc - thanks for sharing the link and a reminder about Cpl Salazar - a true combat correspondant in the tradition of Ernie Pyle.

This a great MOS to be in, one which I wish I would have taken advantage of when I was 19. Instead I went with a Reserve MP unit.

dibob
10-28-04, 10:59 AM
I served as a combat correspondent in Vietnam (1966-67-68) and found it to be the most exciting thing I had ever done in the Corps. It may sound strange, but many CCs spent more time in combat than the infantry, because when the unit they were covering on combat operations went back to their base camp, the CC stayed out in the field with the replacement unit and covered that unit's operations.

Learn all you can while in training and remember that you are covering the activities of your fellow Marines. They should be the most important thing on your mind, not your name in a byline. And don't forget to join the Marine Corps Combat Correspondent's Association.

Semper Fi!
MSgt. Bob Caulkins, USMC (Ret.)