PDA

View Full Version : Watch those car salesmen!

Sparrowhawk
10-26-04, 06:14 PM
Bought a new 2005 GMC Sierra pick-up, extended cab.

It was one of those, "only one at this price,"advertised specials at $14,885 but boy did they try to add extra costs.

In the end we walked out paying only that price, tax and license plus a dealer security alarm add on, that I didn't want but that battle is still not over.

The price was still less then $7000, off the MSRP, I guess i should be glad of the price we paid, its just that they were not upfront with me and they add those security alarms all the time and people end up paying for them. Very deceiving.

Humm feel like a new battle is coming up......

http://marines.bizland.com/truck.jpg

Sf

Cook

thedrifter
10-26-04, 06:20 PM
Nice.....

How I'm I going to try out Your new toy if You didn't put the steering wheel in the pic.....

Well I guess that means I'll have to come out there and try it myself.....;) :D

Best of Luck

Ellie

CAR
10-26-04, 07:53 PM
I just purchased an 04 Silverado about 3weeks ago. Now, I got the truck at a great deal cause "I knew someone". It was great no bargaining, no mark up, awsome deal....... but oh my god when I stepped into the "finance" office.

"It will only add another $49 dollars to your payment, sir.... A small price to pay to protect your vehicle....Blah, Blah, Blah.."

I spent more time telling the knuckelhead that I didn't want any "extra" stuff than I did shopping for the vehicle.

I feel your pain Cook.

yellowwing
10-27-04, 09:54 AM
GMAC Financing make more profit than the GM automotive division. Car salesmen are promoted to the financing office if they are really good.

Salesmen are just a necessary evil. Nothing moves in our economy without a sale being made. The provider could make more profit without a sales commission, and the consumer could pay less.

Stand your ground. Pay for only what you want. Be prepared to walk away, and mean it, if your not getting the deal you want. Just the act of standing up and turning towards the office door will do wonders for the sales price.

cjwright90
10-27-04, 10:02 AM
What kills me is when they tell you, " I've got a deal you just can't refuse" Watch me.

boodrowusmc
10-27-04, 10:14 AM
That's the truth... be prepared to walk away.

The best advice I was ever given when it comes to buying a car; never fall in love. You can always get the same car or better somewhere else. They'll try to get you on the montly payment. "Well, if you get this option, it'll only cost you $30 more a month. That's the same a cup of coffee!". What they don't tell you is that that cup of coffee is another $4000 that goes to the interest on your 3-5 year note. That means you're not paying for the vehicle, just the interest.

Namvet67
10-27-04, 11:55 AM
Are there any Marine car salesmen out there?

Sgted
10-27-04, 12:00 PM
And to add to what all you guys have said.....
Whats with these "bundled" packages ?.
If you want the sunroof it comes bundled with a premium sound system, pin stripes, delux wheel covers, a trailer hitch and a new baby !!!!
These things aren't "a-la-cart" anymore.
Hey....all I want is the sunroof.......period !!
What a great way for the salesmen to make a bigger commission, the payments to go up and the manufacturer to sell you stuff you don't need.

cjwright90
10-27-04, 01:35 PM
No matter what is "under the hood" on the dash or on the seats, it still drops significantly in value as soon as it puts 4 wheels on the road outside the lot.

vfm
10-27-04, 02:19 PM
NICE RIDE SPARROWHAWK!!!
Wish you the best of luck with it.
Glad you bought AMERIC
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

Sparrowhawk
10-28-04, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by gbudd
Are there any Marine car salesmen out there?

Yes, the salesmen for the Sierra was a Marine, WIA in Iraq. Good guy, its the finance guys you have to watch out for.

The day before I had bought my wife an 2004 GMC Envoy. Great car, and they had added that same security system, and that issue is still not settled. I have their payoff check in my pocket, I wonder if they want to negotiate? LOL

The financial officer with the Sierra, did take the security alarm back today, and is going to reinburse us the full price they had added to the car's price. That financial person was a different fellow and was very respectful of servicemen.

The other car dealer, for the Envoy which we bought at a different dealer, is going be a drag out fight, but what the heck, I enjoy those type of encounters.

One of their managers did not like how I responded to their internet quality report.

But, they shouldn't add those extras and not disclose them, which was the case with the Envoy.

http://marines.bizland.com/switch.jpg

Is this worth $299.00?

You can rig your own using radio shack products for under $29.00.

Sparrowhawk
10-28-04, 09:10 PM
got on-Star on the Envoy, and been having fun with that today.

Not going to tell wife how it really works, so that next time we're going someplace and can't find it, I'll have her go get us a soft drink somewhere and while she's gone, I'll push the button get directions before she gets back, then just drive to that location, like I knew where it was all along.. LOL

HardJedi
10-28-04, 09:13 PM
Nice ride, Sparrowhawk!

Now, this is just ME, but here's what I hate about car salesmen. They will wallk up to yu and ask you if they can help you, and you politley say, " No thank you Sir, I am just looking around for a bit" and then they will NOT leave you alone!

They ask what I am looking for, and I always tell em, " I'll know whyen I see it" and they INSIST on showing me all these different cars that I amnot interested in.

WHY can't they just leave a guy alone to browse? Hell, if I have a question, I know where to find em!

yellowwing
10-28-04, 10:49 PM
Because you are there in their AO. They are directed to bag you and get your signature and keys in your hand. That's their job. And if they are really good, both of you will be happy.

I used to be a sales type. Not cars, satellite systems. I was good, until it hit home that these folks were paying $6,000 in financing to watch television. Nothing on TV is worth 6k.

HardJedi
10-28-04, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by yellowwing
Nothing on TV is worth 6k.

Sponge Bob......
and pay per view girly movies are LOL

yellowwing
10-28-04, 11:02 PM
Girlie movies were extra, that was my upsale bonus. Spongebob? He never put cash in my pocket or food in the fridge.