PDA

View Full Version : Things you miss about the Corps?

snipowsky
10-22-04, 10:37 PM
I'm just wondering what kind of things you miss about the Marine Corps? <br />
<br />
I'll start off: <br />
<br />
Comraderie with my brothers has to be the number one thing I miss most! I miss the Grunts. I miss Ma...

garryh123
10-22-04, 11:11 PM
Well Sh*t....I miss Fvckin with boots1(newbies)

Patdaly
10-22-04, 11:24 PM
I miss it but not for the reasons you might think. I miss the way i was treated. I never had to worry about being mistreated. I miss the freindship, when bullets were flying most of the everyday bull**** had a way of disappearing and you dealt with each other on a more honest basis.

Sgted
10-22-04, 11:33 PM
I miss the comraderie, brotherhood and team spirit.
Something I have been hard pressed to find as a civilian.

snipowsky
10-22-04, 11:37 PM
Newbie shower shoes are the funnest to mess with. I totally agree. I sure don't miss being hazed though. I remember those days! Ugh!

Speaking of nasty civilians. They wouldn't have a clue about the Marine Corps or our brotherhood.

semperfiman
10-23-04, 01:39 AM
breakfast every day

yellowwing
10-23-04, 02:07 AM
I miss the Marine groupies out in town! They really knew how to show their appreciation for freedom. :banana:

CAR
10-23-04, 02:29 AM
Esprit de Corps
Guys to BS with
Free ammo
Mortars (steel rain)
Getting free helicopter rides/ rappelling / fast rope
The feeling you have when you finally get to take your pack off
$3 haircuts
Going to the sh1tter and knowing there will be good reading material

USMC-FO
10-23-04, 06:17 AM
Brotherhood
Someone always at your back
Trust
Clarity
105's, 155's blowing stuff up
Being able to pack a .45 and carrying my M-14 and no one thought it unusal.
Actually long hot walks in the sun where every step was a test...
Coming home when friends and family actually wanted to see you.

Lock-n-Load
10-23-04, 06:55 AM
:marine:I'm in total agreement with all of the above...I approve of this post!! LOL Semper Fi

hrscowboy
10-23-04, 08:06 AM
usmc camraderie
M-14 rifle
ch-53s and 46s
never had to watch my back cause i new a brother was watching mine.

leatherneck.com pretty much takes care of it for now, and i am indebted to all my brothers and sisters here.

Arty0811
10-23-04, 08:55 AM
... things, some little, others large. I miss unit PT, going to the range, fire missions, burning unused powder bags. Direct fire with a 105. Liberty call in foreign ports. Hangovers in foreign ports. Women in any port! :cool:

Sgt0811
10-23-04, 11:21 AM
I also miss the burning of unused powder bags.
I miss my 105 howitzer, m14, rifle gernades, tracers, driving a duce & a half.

I also miss all the guys that had my back
:marine:

GySgtRet
10-23-04, 12:21 PM
Being a retired Marine for now 11 years and watching other Marines getting close to or are retiring. They ask me. What is it that you miss the most. Of course I miss the Corps without saying, but the big thing is the MARINES that I had served with in the 20 years and not just the Marine Corps.

Semper Fidelis

HardJedi
10-23-04, 12:38 PM
Well, like Snipowsky, I miss my friends. But I also miss the feeling of BELONGING to something.

jinelson
10-23-04, 01:16 PM
There are so many things that I miss that others have summed up so well Trust, Respect, Belonging, Comraderie and Someone always watching your six. I miss the order and discipline you know 1300 muster, getting caught in the rain at colors, chow, saluting officers and our flag. I miss the weekend swoops to New York from Cherry Point, vampire liberty, and unathorized trips to Dog Patch and TJ and wet downs and pinings. I miss being able to leave my wallet and bucks on my rack to return with nothing touched. I miss the sea stories and the clowns that could always seem to imitate the OIC and Gunny to a tee. I miss R&R in Bangkok (Oh Man the Happy Happy Club), Olongapole City scenes, and the steam and cream by FLC and the doggies 85th evac, the Hy Vanh Pass view, PX runs to Freedom Hill and the beer garden. I miss the team work that always seemed to go off as planned. I miss watching Puff the majic dragon working out at night from my hole on Hill 327. I miss come shaw and scrounging. I miss company beer busts at the beach and wearing my blues on November 10th. There are so many things that I miss but mostly its being with my Marines.

Semper Fi
Jim

snipowsky
10-23-04, 01:22 PM
Well said jinelson! Very well said!:thumbup:

decuervo
10-24-04, 01:52 AM
I miss the feeling of belonging to something greater than me, the humps, the omlette MRE with cheese and Tabasco on a balmy morning in the Middle or Far East. I miss the wieght of my SMAW on my hip and the feeling of security of knowing I never had far to go to get a friend to help me. I miss screwing with Officers heads and playing tricks on the staff NCO's. I even miss getting yelled at for parking my motorcycle in my barracks room so I wouldn't get a ticket from the MPs for speeding on base. I miss the bullsh*t games and field-daying my room. I miss the smell of third world countries and the sounds of foriegn languages. I miss drinking beer with my friends in foriegn bars and trying to find our way back to the ship or a cab. I miss it all. I miss the Corps period.

Sgted
10-24-04, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jinelson
There are so many things that I miss that others have summed up so well Trust, Respect, Belonging, Comraderie and Someone always watching your six. I miss the order and discipline you know 1300 muster, getting caught in the rain at colors, chow, saluting officers and our flag. I miss the weekend swoops to New York from Cherry Point, vampire liberty, and unathorized trips to Dog Patch and TJ and wet downs and pinings. I miss being able to leave my wallet and bucks on my rack to return with nothing touched. I miss the sea stories and the clowns that could always seem to imitate the OIC and Gunny to a tee. I miss R&R in Bangkok (Oh Man the Happy Happy Club), Olongapole City scenes, and the steam and cream by FLC and the doggies 85th evac, the Hy Vanh Pass view, PX runs to Freedom Hill and the beer garden. I miss the team work that always seemed to go off as planned. I miss watching Puff the majic dragon working out at night from my hole on Hill 327. I miss come shaw and scrounging. I miss company beer busts at the beach and wearing my blues on November 10th. There are so many things that I miss but mostly its being with my Marines.

Semper Fi
Jim

Damn.....what a flood of good memories.

My swoop was from the Camp LeJuene circle to Exit 2, NJ Turnpike in my '68 Buick GS400.
R&R was in Japan (twice) where I stayed at the hotel Astor in Yokohama. Fell in love with Hisako who I stayed with both times. Still have love letters from her.
Freedom Hill and the beer gardens....what a treat.
The USO at Freedom Hill that served hamburgers and good coffee.

The trust, respect, comraderie and belonging is what I miss the most.

Walter Dampier
10-24-04, 10:20 AM
Things I miss about the Corps?.............nothing, really. I got over it and moved on.

yellowwing
10-24-04, 10:52 AM
It was cool while it lasted though?

decuervo
10-25-04, 02:14 AM
Walter, you got out as a PFC? Just curious, you busted down or something or booted out? No disrespect intended, just wanted to know.

airframesguru
10-25-04, 05:41 AM
Hueys
Cobras
Smell'n JP in the am
get'n ride on the above
wearing the worlds sharpest uniforms
New River, NC
drinking, crying and haning out with my boys
Sh!^ brothers, I miss it all

cjwright90
10-25-04, 08:41 AM
I missed the duty on guam. Jedi knows about that one. I miss the know that you had a loyal friend right behind you when walking patrols. Even though it was only in training, I trained with other Marines that knew I was there for them. Even though there were some tensions between the team, squad or whatever level, they all came together when they needed to. I had a good time looking back, and miss the Corps itself. I miss teamwork. I try to instill that where ever I go now. Walter, I am sorry to hear it was not a good experience for you. Semper FI to you anyway. We all feel that way.

Walter Dampier
10-25-04, 08:47 AM
I was only 14 months into a 3-year hitch when I was released from duty with a &quot;Hardship-Honorable&quot; Discharge. When my seabag was shipped home from overseas, it was addressed to Lance Corporal Dampier...

benny rutledge
10-25-04, 10:11 AM
MidRats,the smell of the flight line,the PX.Driving over to Parris Island and watching the Recruits come in.
Ah,Hell;being young again!

cjwright90
10-25-04, 10:26 AM
Thanks for sharing, Walter. Even though you did not finish your enlistment as planned, you are still a Marine, and still in our hearts and minds here. I hope all is well on the home front that caused your early out. I think I speak for all of us here. Semper Fi, Brother. Know, too, that if you need to talk about anything to anyone, there is a ton of people here that will listen.

albert torcini
10-25-04, 01:14 PM
I MISS THE JUNK ON THE BUNK,THE LONG CHOW LINES, HURRY UP AND WAIT,MORNING FORMATIIONS,RIFLE INSPECTIONS.

DSchmitke
10-25-04, 01:17 PM
Miss it all !!!!!

Namvet67
10-25-04, 01:24 PM
R&R IN THAILAND

snipowsky
10-25-04, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by cjwright90
Thanks for sharing, Walter. Even though you did not finish your enlistment as planned, you are still a Marine, and still in our hearts and minds here. I hope all is well on the home front that caused your early out. I think I speak for all of us here. Semper Fi, Brother. Know, too, that if you need to talk about anything to anyone, there is a ton of people here that will listen.

I wasn't going to go there...

But I'm glad someone else did. Someone sounds a little bitter towards the Corps!

HardJedi
10-25-04, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by albert torcini
I MISS THE JUNK ON THE BUNK,THE LONG CHOW LINES, HURRY UP AND WAIT,MORNING FORMATIIONS,RIFLE INSPECTIONS.

Are you SERIOUS??? LOl Junk on the bunk and morning formations are the only reason I initially LEFT the Corps LOL :D

cknow
10-25-04, 03:31 PM
Camraderie
Esprit de Corps
Field Shaving
Green eggs
Rifle Qual
Field days
Drill
Humps 25 Mi.

belonging to the best military orginization in the world.

vfm
10-25-04, 04:19 PM
I miss the brotherhood
M-14
M79 grenade launcher

Being the best trained military personel in the world
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

John Halpin
10-25-04, 04:44 PM
Being a Police Office in the Dallas area, I miss the confidence of someone watching my six, having a partner to count on. In Nam I got into s--- and looked up and there they were - more Marines. Wish there was another one in our department. I hate carring all the weight. LOL
I may miss things, however, there are the memories which no one can take away. Some I wish would go.
Simper Fi

Sgt0811
10-25-04, 06:16 PM
I'll go along with R&R in Thailand. That was a great 5 days.

cjdoyle
10-26-04, 12:17 AM
THAILAND........The memories Just got back three weeks ago....best place to take leave in the world

MillRatUSMC
10-26-04, 12:58 AM
What do I miss about the Corps?
Can we explain what it has meant to be address as a Marine.
A title that not many can claim.
Won't say that we never fought among each other.
But when it came to shove, the Marine, you had a disagreement.
Would cover your six.
We would hump for ungodly miles or kilometers, got ambushed.
We carried the most serious wounded first, than our dead.
You would think that we would be exhausted, but that wasn't the case.
Knowing that some would look after you, means more than words can express.
We lived certain core values while we were active, we still live those core values now.
I wonder why?
Is it because you could trust the next Marine with your very life?
Words such as Honor, Duty and Commitment mean more to us than anyone can understand.
We also hold ourselves to high moral standards.
Our Commandants have express those standards in better words that I could ever think of.
Soon we will be celebrating the Birthday of our beloved Corps
Because we cherish what that birthday stands for.
I'll close with some words from General John A. Lejeune birthday message;
In every battle and skirmish since the Birth of the Corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term "Marine" has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation and has long been the distinguishing mark of Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the me of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps."

All of the above is what I miss about the Corps...
My wife tells me that I never lefted the Marine Corps.
I wonder Why?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

cjwright90
10-26-04, 06:53 AM
Well said Ricardo. I never was in combat or anywhere near it, but still felt if it came to it, we would all have each other's back. Thanks again, Ricardo.

Tracker
10-26-04, 02:19 PM
I miss it all... but I am thankful everyday that I didn't miss the opportunity to become a Marine, because I'll always be a Marine, I'll always be part of the brotherhood. Once a Marine always a Marine.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Semper Fi.
tracker

MillRatUSMC
10-26-04, 02:28 PM
Had to correct this;

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation and has long been the distinguishing mark of Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps."

All of the above is what I miss about the Corps...
My wife tells me that I never left the Marine Corps.
I wonder Why?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

mrbsox
10-26-04, 07:29 PM
Been reading all of these, remember all of these (as much as a peace time Marine can), and just want to echo every body.

And ...

I miss my 'Bro'.
John David Venning Jr.

I'm sure you all had a least ONE marine, that you just connected with. For me, it was J.D.

Kept in touch for a few years, then life took it's toll, and I haven't been able to track him down.

I still Love ya Bro.

Terry

Arlene Horton
10-26-04, 08:44 PM
I agree with HardJedi. I miss the feeling of belonging to a fantastic group of Marine Corps friends, both male & female. It's been a long time since I became a Marine but the great memories I have from my past. Thanks Snipowsky for the thread...Semper Fi

greensideout
10-26-04, 09:26 PM
Living under green canvas, eating cold chow, standing in a water filled trench at night, having guard duty, going to cold weather training, going to desert training, going into a hot LZ, being shot at, taking pills for who knows what, shots and then shots, taking showers in the rain, sleeping wet, wakeing up wet, wondering what life was like back home, going out on ship, training at night.

What do I miss about being a Marine? It sure made me smile! ;)

decuervo
10-28-04, 07:13 AM
Walter,
As stated above, you're a Marine and one of the brotherhood, wish you could've stayed for your entire enlidtment, and I hope that whatever caused your early out has been resolved in a way acceptable to you. Semper Fi Walter.

jerryd6818
10-28-04, 10:20 AM
Saturday and Sunday morning brunch at the chow hall. Eggs to order and SOS on the chow line.
Being able to say what you think and no one gets offended.
Coming in from a hard day. Sitting for a moment. Taking a shower and being ready to go again.
Cold beer on Friday night with your friends and the Saturday morning hangover.
My M-14.
The travel
Being young and in good health. Eating what you want without worrying about gaining weight or cholesterol.
No need to worry about what to wear for the day