PDA

View Full Version : Back around

cjwright90
10-22-04, 11:48 AM
Hello, everyone new and old. I have been away awhile, and been thinking about different things while away.

I don't know if this has been covered here before or not, so I apologize if it has. Here is my rant.

My wife and I are at a disagreement on something. I, as you all know am a Marine. She never was any military. Her dad is an Army vet.(I still like him). My wife, I'll call her Lisa. (Because it is her name). Lisa does not like it that I speak about my beloved Corps so much, and has actually asked me not to so much. I told her it is a title that comes with a lot of pride attached. she does not dislike the Marines, or the military in general, and is proud of me for my accomplishments there. I told her that pride is a strong thing inside of me, but her complaint is this: You never used to talk so much about it, mainly in the last three years. Now it is Marines this, Marines that. Stickers, License Plates, etc. You get the picture. For a while, I did not speak much of my time in, only that I am a veteran of the Corps. Well,after thinking about it, I deduced that since Semptember 11th 2001, my patriotism and Esprit de Coprs has gone through the roof. Anyone else feel that way? I am very interested now in what my Corps is doing. Iraq, Afghanistan and Bin Laden are on my mind a lot. The elections...the list is getting bigger every day. I want to get personal protection for the housecan we read handgun here?) She is against having a gun in the house, even though her dad has always had them. Any thoughts? I need you guys on this. Help a Brother out?

Osotogary
10-22-04, 12:34 PM
cjwright90,
I'm thinking that it's a gender thing. What is important to males may be of total disinterest to females. Certainly the tolerance level for certain interests are not the same. I mean, how many times do I have to listen to Wayne Newton or some guy singing,"You are my Lady" a thousand times during the recording? Different strokes, different interests, different tolerance levels. How many times does she have to listen to me tallking about my sons, the war on terror or Leatherneck.com?
My better half does not like the fact that I take what she feels is a disproportionate amount of time dealing with the war on terror and support of our troops. I deal with it but I also compromise my time now. It seems that by me doing this I have actually gained more time for taking care of my interests.
I aso know that no matter what you may do or say you may run into a solid wall of resistance and it may not have anything to do with you.
Case in point . Dinner with guests. Topic: My son is driving us crazy. My solution to Mother: "Have you thought about suggesting that he join the Armed Forces?" Mother's response: "NO. No. No. Never! I don't want my son being a Private and being bossed around. I was raised on on military bases and I know what it is like. No. No. No. If he can't be an officer I don't want him in the military. He will never join the military as long as I can help it."
Point: No matter what I would have or could have said she had her own issues about military life as she knew it and her feelings had absolutely nothing to do with her son.
Weather the storm cjwright90. Sounds like your predicament is workable and quite the norm especially in these times.
Take care and pass on my best to one and all.
Gary

cjwright90
10-22-04, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Gary. I appreciate it. I have comprised by talking less about the Corps, not forgetting them, though. My desk at work is covered in Corps stuff, from a mousepad to a Field cover to a wooden carving of a Vietnam era OD Green field cover. I do have an American flag flying proud from my shed. I won that one, but did you notice I did not say a Marine Corps flag of any sort? She does not like things with words on them in the yard. I said it does not have to have words, an Eagle, Globe and Anchor would suit me fine. Still working on that one. Or a bulldog. :marine:

Osotogary
10-22-04, 01:31 PM
cjwright90,
I know that no matter how much I love my sons, how much I am proud of them, or how much I support the troops, I'll only allow myself just so many decals on my truck's window. (I do have to see what's behind me. LOL) The Marine Corps Flag sounds like it's going to take some time but maybe on November the 10th? Who knows? It is worth a try.
Gary

cjwright90
10-22-04, 01:48 PM
Did I mention my daughter Marina has a birthday on November 10th?

I actually tried growing a regulation mustache. She did not care for that. Not because it was jarhead style, but a hairy face. Not her style! I have not mentioned to her that I am saving up for a USMC K-Bar. She is looking at me a little funny when I requested a copy of my DD214 and duty records...

Osotogary
10-22-04, 02:04 PM
I can't walk around the house in my bath towel even when there aren't guests in the house. She just won't allow it. LMAO

Sparrowhawk
10-22-04, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
cjwright90,
I know that no matter how much I love my sons, how much I am proud of them, or how much I support the troops, I'll only allow myself just so many decals on my truck's window. (I do have to see what's behind me. LOL) The Marine Corps Flag sounds like it's going to take some time but maybe on November the 10th? Who knows? It is worth a try.
Gary

Actual Picture of Gary's other Car

http://marines.bizland.com/garycar.jpg

cjwright90
10-22-04, 02:44 PM
Beautiful. How's it going, Cook?

Sparrowhawk
10-22-04, 02:53 PM
Things are Great,

Wife has never said anything about my office decorations, I only mentioned once;

"My EX-wife, once complained about my Marine symbols, now she's gone."

LOL

snipowsky
10-22-04, 03:34 PM
I practice my 2nd Amendment rights daily! I have a permit to carry in my home state. If it came between my guns and my woman, well I guess my woman would be gone. I'd never let anyone tell me I can't own firearms especially since I am responsible with them.

Just my two cents!

hrscowboy
10-22-04, 03:37 PM
buttom line gentleman women need to be put in there place they forget where they come from (Mans Rib) if it wasnt for men they wouldnt be here. If eve hadnt have suckered adam into eating that damn apple life would be a hell of lot better too. Men rule and woman Drool thats the bottom line.............

Osotogary
10-22-04, 03:40 PM
One time I asked this woman, who I had been dating, if I could have my rib back. She wasn't too pleased even though I thought it was humorous.

Sparrowhawk
10-22-04, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
buttom line gentleman women need to be put in there place they forget where they come from (Mans Rib) if it wasnt for men they wouldnt be here. If eve hadnt have suckered adam into eating that damn apple life would be a hell of lot better too. Men rule and woman Drool thats the bottom line.............

The way I heard it told, was that God said to Adam,

"Adam, I am going to give you the best woman, I have ever created."

"She will love, you, serve you, do ANYTHING your heart desires, without question. Anything and everything, she will do for you.

But, it's gona cost you."

So, Adams said, ok, how much?

And God answered him, "It's going to cost you an arm and a leg."

Adam thought about this for awhile then, said;

"Well what can I get for a rib?"

and that is how it all started...

LMAO

thedrifter
10-22-04, 03:48 PM
My 2 cents....

I have in my house, Marine memorabilia which was given to Roger over the years...They are still up and I'm keeping them up for my memories....

The Marine Flag still flys outside...(Just replaced it)

Yes, the car, Everyone knows it was a Marine's....

I just bought Roger his Christmas present just like my youngest daughter...The other 3 are following suite.....

He was Proud of his time, just like I was.....Nothing has changed....except the fact he is no longer with us in this world...

Ellie

JAMarine
10-22-04, 05:14 PM
Our Colors are flying under the American Flag on my Pole out in the yard. My Clearvue-Graphic of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor atop the American Flag is on the entire surface of the back glass on the new truck. I wear Marine Corps garmets during the week and on the weekend and I do believe I asked 'the boss' why she was drinking coffee out of one of my Marine Corps "CuppaCups" this past weekend.

My daughters wear my old Marine Corps Shirts as Nighties.

I've got no problem.

I'm sorry some of you do. Send your wives over to my place for a bit. I'll have the Girls train em.

Sempers.

snipowsky
10-22-04, 07:50 PM
Ellie he is greatly missed also! Semper Fi Roger wherever you are! And God bless you! We all miss you here at Leatherneck.com!

Oh...

One more thing! I second what hrscowboy said!

HardJedi
10-22-04, 09:05 PM
well, first off, welcome back CJ, I'll read all this post later, and add more ofa a response. glad you are back!

CAR
10-23-04, 02:21 AM
I have realized that since Sept. 11, I have found more patriotism. I have always been proud of being a Marine but more so since our brothers have been sent to defend our country. I can't tell you how much I would like to get back in and be along side our brothers.

I put my American Flag out everyday and even have my 4 and 2 year old boys learning how to carry it and never let it touch the ground. Double tough! Luckily my wife understands, and since her father is a Marine, she doesn't make waves.

cjwright90
10-25-04, 08:30 AM
Thanks a heap Jedi. I missed it here. I missed you guys. How you doing, Jedi? Had some trouble a while back, I remember.

Like I mentioned before, CAR, my dad, mother, and older brother are all Marines. I love my Corps and all my Marine brothers and sisters(You guys). Semper Fidelis to all of you, here and fallen!

yellowwing
10-25-04, 08:56 AM
Hey CJ, you are not alone. My wife doesn't mind my renewed interest and patriotism since Sept 11. But she is so far left, she makes me look like Rush Limbaugh! (Hard Jedi knows my left leaning poltical stances.)

We've had some heated discussions on stuff from draft dodgers to Iraq. We had a long talk about Iraq. I had to explain to her I was agianst the war, but the moment the first Marine stepped off from Kuwait, I had to side and pray for my Brothers.

Semper Fi~Gung Ho! :marine:

cjwright90
10-25-04, 10:20 AM
Now, it gets better. (Or worse). There have been a few robberies in my town as of late. She is paranoid and has me lock every single door, screen door, storm door, and everything else. We have a big dog, who is protective of the house. She is actually thinking of getting a home security system. I told her she already has one-kinda. She has a Jarhead in the house with her. Let me get a gun and viola'! Her stance against guns is this, I hear yesterday that she would have a gun in the house if there were no kids in the house. So I just get rid of the...hmmmm. Not an option. :) :marine:

HardJedi
10-25-04, 03:56 PM
AWW explain it to her like THIS CJ. No-one EVER needed a gun in their home, unless they needed one REAL BAD! and if ya need it real bad and don't have it, you done screwed the pooch. If you have it and NEVER need it, then where's the harm?

My mother was a police officer, and every night when she got off of shift, she would come in and hand me a fully loaded .357 and her Walther PPK back up gun. ( this is at 5 years old) and she would tell me to unload them and strip them, and then lock them up. She would WATCH me do all of this very carefully. I knew that these were NOT toy's, and that they were not to be touched at ANY time, except when my mother told me too.

Gun's are not dangerous to have around children. Irresponsible PARENTS are dangerous to have around children.

cjwright90
10-26-04, 07:03 AM
That is what I tried to tell her. If we teach the kids about them, and the do's and don'ts of them, then what's the big deal? Like I said, her dad and Grand dad had at least two in the house. One of them being the same old shotgun. Tell me a brand new 9 MM would not be safer than a 30 or 40 year old shotgun. Plus with all the gun cabinets with super duper locking systems, etc. trigger guards, double safeties. The list goes on. And I am keeping the kids...!

HardJedi
10-26-04, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by cjwright90
And I am keeping the kids...!

Yeah, the little booger munchers kinda grow on, don't they? ;)

cjwright90
10-26-04, 10:03 AM
Not old enough for that, I think. Only mining for gold, but no munching. That is the younger one. I think my boy only did it once that I know of. We got him off that habit right quick!

Did I tell you guys that we are expecting another girl in January?

yellowwing
10-26-04, 10:33 AM
Aww-heck! I mean congratulations on the new baby, but from personal experience, the hormones in an expectant mother preclude any sense and order.

Any slightly percieved threat to children and will spin into great danger. Which is good. Try snatching a grizzly cub. My ex-wife really had a panic attack once about space aliens kidnapping our daughter.

cjwright90
10-26-04, 10:48 AM
Forgot to tell you we live 10 miles from a nuclear power plant. Imagine the panics associated with that!

HardJedi
10-26-04, 11:13 AM
HEY! CONGRATS CJ! Man, I live in GREAT fear of ever having another daughter though! LOL

cjwright90
10-27-04, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Jedi. My son and I are going to be out numbered. Good thing there is a man's bathroom downstairs.

LivinSoFree
10-27-04, 02:52 PM
Err. It's important to preserve a proper "reading room."