10-22-04, 05:03 AM
Norfolk Virginian-Pilot <br />
October 21, 2004 <br />
<br />
Study Finds 65,000 Gays In The Military <br />
<br />
By Joanne Kimberlin, The Virginian-Pilot <br />
<br />
NORFOLK — More than 65,000 gay men and women are serving in the...

hrscowboy
10-22-04, 07:56 AM
geeze that many gays in the military, just about as bad as the catholic churches with there child molesters....

awb5711
10-22-04, 08:11 AM
Has anyone serving on active duty ever had a problem with gays in the military? Maybe the younger generations are more open minded about the issue. Its been my experience on active duty that people really don't care if someone is gay or not. As long as they are a good Marine and do their job and dont cut out when it hits the fan. Things could have changed when we moved away from squad bays. Only in boot camp and MCT do you really find community showers anymore. Any thoughts???

mrbsox
10-22-04, 08:31 AM

Hmmmm......

That's about 2 Aircraft carriers and a submarine !!

Never had any problems in the late 70's, but there was 1 or 2 I wondered about.

Arty0811
10-22-04, 08:56 AM
I was unfortunate enough to be the DNCO at an artillery battery stationed at Camp Foster, Okinawa one night in the spring of 1981. <br />
<br />
A buddy of mine from another battery had just gotten back from...

fulmetaljackass
10-22-04, 09:34 AM
On one hand, in the civilian world I have no problem with gays and would even almost count a few of them as friends.

In the military, however, where we coexist in a close, brotherly fashion that people who have never served cannot understand, I WOULDN'T WANT GAYS ANYWHERE NEAR ME!!

...and to the guy whining about how gays in the military having to pretend to be something they're not while everyone else gets to be natural - this is a "majority rules" society. You are not the majority, and the majority would very much like to keep it that way. Deal with it.

snipowsky
10-22-04, 10:05 AM
ONE WORD - SICK!

yellowwing
10-22-04, 10:06 AM
In this modern civilian world I do have gay friends. My wife and I even have a gay best girlfriend, (yes, evil thoughts cross my mind now and then).

As far as gays during active service. I knew some submariners that swore they were shipmates with plenty of them. There was a married couple in El Toro. The rumour was that they were both gay, but got married to keep NIS off their backs.

Back in the Cold War days, gay were thought to be targets for Soviet S-2 agents. If they got their hooks into them they could turn them by threats of outing them as gay.

If there had not been any stigma about homosexuality, that tactic would not have worked.

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/dont-ask-dont-tell.gif

Sparrowhawk
10-22-04, 10:19 AM
Gosh darn, there's got to be a limit where a Marine will put his ding-a-ling... LMAo <br />
<br />
<br />
Never met one in the service, but I always wondered about that one Corpsman..... <br />
<br />
LOL <br />
<br />
Cook

Sgted
10-22-04, 06:52 PM
Anyone of us (like Arty 0811) might be able to post a bad experience involving same sex acts while on active duty. The truth is that almost all of us never were witness to such behavior.
We all did our jobs and we did them well. There was always that 5% that did not carry their weight. Within that 5 % I had no idea of the sexual orientation of those I saw screwing off.

I spent 6 1/2 years active duty in the Marines and never ran into any problems. Like others who posted here, I wondered about a few Marines but never to the point of feeling uneasy or threatend.

Straight, gay or otherwise the desire to be a Marine has got to be strong and you have to commit yourself to the Corps. Any homosexual has to know of this before entering the Marines and, must adhere to the rules and make the sacrifice pertaining to his sexuality for the good of the team.

Within the community of Marines there are the bad eggs, gay and otherwise. Hopefully they are weeded out. The rest function as a the fine fighting force they were trained to be.
Gay or not.

Debate_god21
10-24-04, 12:24 AM
With all due respect, that's not a very cool thing to say at all... That just makes you sound prejudiced towards everyone. And there shouldn't be prejudice in the Marine Corps. It's sad, really. I...

decuervo
10-24-04, 01:32 AM
I never met anyone in my company that I thought might have been gay, most were so overly hetero-sexual and trying to get funky with any female in a 40 mile radius that I don't think there were any. So maybe the stats on this are overboard and i'm a 1990's West Coast Marine.

HardJedi
10-25-04, 04:37 PM
time for me to add my .02

Look, could he shoot? could he pick me up and run a hundred yards carrying me to safety? could he stay awake on watch?

Did they ever try and grab my ####? talk me into anything I didn't want to do? ( sexually speaking?)

answer all the top ones yes, and all the bottom ones no, and I don't give a DAMN what you do in your free time.

I did a HELL of a lot of things in the service that are frowned upon by a majority of society. ( Phillipine, Thailand, or TJ, anyone?)

But I did my job and was pretty good at it. To me, that's all that matters.

Debate_god21
10-25-04, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
time for me to add my .02

Look, could he shoot? could he pick me up and run a hundred yards carrying me to safety? could he stay awake on watch?

Did they ever try and grab my ####? talk me into anything I didn't want to do? ( sexually speaking?)

answer all the top ones yes, and all the bottom ones no, and I don't give a DAMN what you do in your free time.

I did a HELL of a lot of things in the service that are frowned upon by a mojority of society. ( Phillipine, Thailand, or TJ, anyone?)

But I did my job and was pretty good at it. To me, that's all that matters.

:thumbup: Right on! As long as we ALL complete the mission, together !

al20852
10-26-04, 11:25 AM
Important to note that our personal feelings, just as in a lot of cases in the Marines, do not matter. The powers that be decided on the policy, and they enforce it. Enuf said.

Do I agree with it? No. What you do on your own time that has no effect on the mission is your own business. Bet we all came in contact with gay Marines and never even knew it. But some genius came up with "don't ask, dont tell" and it is enforced. The powers that be didn't put this up for a vote and don't really care what the rank and file thinks about it.