PDA

View Full Version : Headquarters Battalion rigs up new experiences

thedrifter
10-20-04, 08:03 AM
Headquarters Battalion rigs up new experiences
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification #: 2004101834038
Story by Lance Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii (Oct. 6, 2004) -- Fifteen Marines from Headquarters Battalion took part in Helicopter Fast Rope Training with 4th Force Reconnaissance Battalion, across the flight line, Oct. 6.

The Marines were geared up and confident, as all had been through the fast rope preparatory training that took place at Schofield Barracks the week prior.

“I thank goodness that we had received the chance to prepare and let ourselves get ready for the helo jumps,” said Lance Cpl. Regina Shelley, scopist for base legal. “I had such confidence that everything would work out okay since we were so well prepared for it at Schofield. I wasn’t even nervous when it was my turn to go down the rope.”

The distance to the pavement was approximately 50 feet and the Marines climbed into the CH-53D Sea Stallion helicopter in two different sticks. While one group jumped, the second group checked each other’s gear and mentally prepared for the jump.

“I think the most difficult part for the Marines was the fact that they are lacking a lot in experience,” said Gunnery Sgt. Todd R. Manning, communications chief and senior helicopter rope suspension training master for 4th Force Recon. “With anything new you’re going to be a little bit nervous, but the Marines out here did really well.”
After successfully completing six jumps each, the Marines were prepared to execute their next feat, Special Personnel Insertion Rigging.

“I was really excited about the spy rigging exercise,” said Lance Cpl. Thomas Head, company clerk, Provost Marshals Office. “We learned how to get into the harnesses and work all of the gear, I really wanted to actually put that all to use.”

Unfortunately, the Marines of HQBN did not receive the opportunity to SPI-Rig Wednesday due to malfunctions in the helicopter.

“While fast roping, the helo kept rising and descending again, without actually airing out and cooling down the engines,” said Manning. “After this repeated action, the helo overheated and we weren’t able to bring it up safely for the Marines to experience SPI-Rigging.”

Manning said the next time the 4th Force Recon trains in the air, they will make time and space available for the HQBN Marines.

“They all successfully completed the qualification training at Schofield. There is no reason that they should not be able to participate in the actual thing,” said Manning. “The Marines did excellent out there and they seem to look forward to actually trying the SPI-Rigging out.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004101842142/$file/downlow.jpg

A Marine from Headquarters Battalion, MCB Hawaii, descends the 60-foot rope out of the CH-53D Sea Stallion, Oct. 6, during fast-rope training. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Michelle M. Dickson

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/171E1B2118363D0C85256F31002A2C50?opendocument

Ellie