PDA

View Full Version : Election determines fate of nation

HardJedi
10-19-04, 10:12 PM
In that this will be my last column before the presidential election, there will be
no sarcasm, no attempts at witty repartee. The topic is too serious, and the stakes
are too high.

This November we will vote in the only election during our lifetime that will truly
matter. Because America is at a once-in-a-generation crossroads, more than an
election hangs in the balance. Down one path lies retreat, abdication and a reign of
ambivalence.

Down the other lies a nation that is aware of it's past and accepts the daunting
obligation its future demands. If we choose poorly, the consequences will echo
through the next 50 years of history. If we, in a spasm of frustration, turn out the
current occupant of the White House, the message to the world and ourselves will be
two-fold. First, we will reject the notion that America can do big things. Once a
nation that tamed a frontier, stood down the Nazis and stood upon the moon, we will
announce to the world that bringing democracy to the Middle East is too big of a
task for us. But more significantly, we will signal to future presidents that as
voters, we are unwilling to tackle difficult challenges, preferring caution to
boldness, embracing the mediocrity that has characterized other civilizations.

The defeat of President Bush will send a chilling message to future presidents who
may need to make difficult, yet unpopular decisions. America has always been a
nation that rises to the demands of history regardless of the costs or appeal. If we
turn away from that legacy, we turn away from whom we are.

Second, we inform every terrorist organization on the globe that the lesson of
Somalia was well-learned. In Somalia we showed terrorists that you don't need to
defeat America on the battlefield when you can defeat them in the newsroom. They
learned that a wounded America can become a defeated America. Twenty-four-hour news
stations and daily tracing polls will do the heavy lifting, turning a cut into a
fatal blow. Except that Iraq is Somalia times 10. The election of John Kerry will
serve notice to every terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of American
power is the timidity of American voters. Terrorists will know that a steady stream
of grisly photos for CNN is all you need to break the will of the American people.
Our own self-doubt will take it from there. Bin Laden will recognize that he can
topple any American administration without setting foot on the homeland.

It is said that America's W.W.II generation is its 'greatest generation'. But my
greatest fear is that it will become known as America's 'last generation.' Born in
the bleakness of the Great depression and hardened in the fire of W.W. II, they may
be the last American generation that understands the meaning of duty, honor and
sacrifice. It is difficult to admit, but I know these terms are spoken with only
hollow detachment by many (but not all) in my generation. Too many citizens today
mistake 'living in America' as 'being an American.' But America has always been more
of an idea than a place. When you sign on, you do more than buy real estate. You
accept a set of values and responsibilities.

This November, my generation, which has been absent too long, must grasp the
obligation that comes with being an American, or fade into the oblivion they may
deserve. I believe that 100 years from now historians will look back at the election
of 2004 and see it as the decisive election of our century. Depending on the
outcome, they will describe it as the moment America joined the ranks of ordinary
nations; or they will describe it as the moment the prodigal sons and daughters of
the greatest generation accepted their burden as caretakers of the City on the
Hill."

Mathew Manweller is a Central Washington University political science professor

yellowwing
10-19-04, 10:38 PM
This professor writes very well, but I think he is assuming much. He is assuming but not specifing what a Kerry Administration would do with the Middle East.

The United States has the largest force of 135,000 personal in Iraq. The next largest contingent is about 5,000.

If Kerry could heal the rift with our traditional NATO allies, we may have 50,000 of their troops to help stabilize Iraq.

The good professor see the glass half empty and we are all doomed.

HardJedi
10-19-04, 10:47 PM
just KNEW you could be counted on Yellowing, to be the Liberal voice of craziness! LOL ( kidding)

Seriously though, I HONESTLY, in my heart of hearts, think the professor is right. he DOES address Kerry. he say's "Down one path lies retreat, abdication and a reign of
ambivalence." and I think he is dead on accurate.

yellowwing
10-19-04, 10:51 PM
The column is a dressed up variance of the ridiculous "Bin Laden votes for Kerry" GOP talking point. But a very nicely dressed variant.

HardJedi
10-19-04, 10:55 PM
WEll, that sounds about right to me, in a very VERY simplistic way. Obviously there is more to it than THAT. But it boils down to the same thing.

and Americans ARE afraid, or unwilling to do what it takes these day's. They ARE afraid of hard choices, sacrifice, bad opinions of others. You can't deny that.

yellowwing
10-19-04, 11:10 PM
Reagan inherited a country in really bad shape. He made the tough choices in quite a few firestorms. He got us back on our feet and won the cold war.

We rebounded when the economy burst in 2000 and from the Sept 11 2001 slide.

I think we are going to be okay whoever the People elect. If the vast majority do not hold these principals dearly, we have a new generation like Seely and LivingSoFree that will protect them anyway.

Semper Fi

HardJedi
10-19-04, 11:16 PM
true, but don't you think, unfortunat;ey, that young men like Seeley, Lake, and LivingsoFree are in the minority?

yellowwing
10-19-04, 11:23 PM
I really don't know 'Bro, I'll tell you my answer in four years.

LivinSoFree
10-20-04, 05:38 AM
I have to wonder if the reality of what will be necessary to sustain and succeed in Iraq has really registered with the American People as a WHOLE. A general rule of thumb quoted in various warfighting publications gives a ratio of 15 Marines (or other troops... but I'd rather it be us) to 1 Insurgent as the necessary ratio to successfully conduct counterinsurgency operations in a foreign nation. Where will we obtain the manpower to achieve this ratio, and if we do not, what will be the effects on the forces that we do have on the ground already iin terms of deployment lengths and casualties? Secondly, many of the issues facing Iraq are rooted in FIVE THOUSAND years of recorded history, dating back even before the time of Islam or Christianity. It's interesting to note that in the first hours and days following the liberation of Iraq, the first think that the people did, was smash into their museums, filled with some of what are internationally agreed to be the most valuable artifacts from the region, steal whatever wasn't nailed down, and smash what was left. The literacy rate in Iraq is 48%, and no matter how many schools we build, that's not going to change for a long time. Now someone please explain to me how we're going to convey to these people Jeffersonian principles of democracy? While I'm MORE than ready to ship out on a moment's notice to lend a hand to my brothers taking fire over there, I have to question whether or not this war is worth it in the long term, issues with its inception nonwithstanding (and being an entirely separate issue). Just a few thoughts, gentlemen.

Sparrowhawk
10-20-04, 11:12 AM
That electing John Kerry as president, would be a self inposed wound to this country, that will rival 9-11 in disaster to this nation.

HardJedi
10-20-04, 12:19 PM
I agree, Cook. No fancy double talk, no mud slinging. I just think it will hurt us terribly

yellowwing
10-20-04, 01:32 PM
"rival 9-11 in disaster" - you really believe that? Have faith in the process.

hrscowboy
10-20-04, 01:35 PM
well how ever it goes i will be glad when its all over thats for sure, I hope we dont have to go through all this vote recounts again like we did the last time or this country is going to be in some serious trouble.. There is already talk about riots and mayhem if it goes down that way again which i hope it dont..

HardJedi
10-20-04, 03:03 PM
Look, and this is just a gut feeling of mine.

We all KNOW, if we have studied history at ALL, that nothing lasts forever. NOTHING. Not our God's, Not our Nations. Everything goes away to a greater or lesser degree sooner or later.

It is my FEELING that this election, one way or the other, is gonna change the world. Will it be better or worse if Kerry Wins or if Bush wins?. I honestley DO NOT KNOW!

I have a FEELING that if Bush is re-elected, our current way of life( the good parts) will continue for a while longer. I just don't get that feeling with Kerry.

Hell, could be riots in the street within a few months no matter WHAT happens this november. I sure as hell hope not, but......Like I said, just a feeling.

feel freeto attack me now ;)