PDA

View Full Version : reservists

VarelaMJ
10-19-04, 03:59 PM
Do any of you Marines think of weekend warriors as inferior or any less of a Marine? At bootcamp the Marines didnt sound like they liked reservists too much and when I went to visit my reserve station the Marine showing me around said he didnt like reservists.

greensideout
10-19-04, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by VarelaMJ
Do any of you Marines think of weekend warriors as inferior or any less of a Marine? At bootcamp the Marines didnt sound like they liked reservists too much and when I went to visit my reserve station the Marine showing me around said he didnt like reservists.

If my history is correct, most of the Marine forces in Korea were reservist.

They certainly earn my respect!

The Everly Brothers were reservist--lol--how can you knock that?--lol

HardJedi
10-19-04, 05:06 PM
Look, I think it is mostly like the competition between the Pogues and the grunts. it's all good natured between active duty and reservists. or at least it SHOULD be.

The reservists did just as much to EARN the title, so why should they be treated differently?

VarelaMJ
10-20-04, 11:38 PM
Are reservists considered civilians until they are drilling? Im asking reservist questions because im a reservist and havent started drilling yet and in bootcamp the other recruits made fun.lol

LivinSoFree
10-21-04, 12:05 AM
You are a Marine, 24/7. Period. You earned the title just like anyone else. Is it different as a reservist, yes. But I still get my high and tight every week, shave every day, and wear proper civilian attire according to regs. You never know when you're gonna run into another devildog, and the last thing you want is to get chewed out for looking like a s**tbag. Beyond that, as a reservist, you also fulfill another role insofar as the civilian community in concerned, as you are the only exposure to the Marine Corps and/or the military that many of them have, which makes you a de facto ambassador of the Corps, so it would behoove you to act accordingly.

CAR
10-21-04, 04:33 AM
VarelaMJ,
Though you may not be on active status when your not drilling be assured that you are still subject to certain provisions of the UCMJ. More so, as Livin just stated you represent the Corps and are looked at to be a good representative of it. You will see that there are some (small percentage) that believe that when drill's over it's back to Civ Div and ear-rings. Avoid that pit! It will cause you more harm then good. I did a couple years in the reserves after active. Reserves have a more broad dynamic to it. Lots of walks of life. Some guys are cops, lawyers, dads, plumber, etc. While on active, Everyone is a full time Marine.

Just remember Marines are Marines, and when the poop hits the fan, I'm not asking if your a reserve or active, just so long as you cover my six, I'll cover yours. We're all brothers and sisters in the Corps.

HardJedi
10-21-04, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by CAR
Just remember Marines are Marines, and when the poop hits the fan, I'm not asking if your a reserve or active, just so long as you cover my six, I'll cover yours. We're all brothers and sisters in the Corps.

EXACTLY. couldn't have thought of a better way to put it.

awb5711
10-21-04, 09:42 AM
My best friend from the Island is a Reservist. We joke around a lot. I give him a hard time because he never went to the fleet. Missed out on the "Okinawa Field Days", "15min prior to 15min prior" 2.5hr long formations, endless ceremonies, "Health-and Comfort," wall locker inspections and so on. I give him hell because he's missed out on the garrison life a new Marine has. But he is definitley no less of a Marine for it.

CplCrotty
10-21-04, 10:12 AM
Livn' and Car offer some excellent advice.

Ultimately it will be the respect for yourself, and what you think of yourself, that will matter the most - not the opinion of others.

I enjoyed my time in the Marine Corps Reserve, despite a lot of negative comments from others. My guess is that in today's world you will get less flack and more support in the civilian world.

I was in during the 80's, and I caught a lot of crap regarding my haircut. While most civilians respect military service, you will come across quite a few who will always have a chip on their shoulder. I got that treatment from an older brother who has spent his entire life working in the family business.

Also, if you are in college be prepared to get some "less than fair" treatment from most of your professors. That's because you are dealing with a lot of aging baby boomer, academic weenies who still cary a lot of guilt of what they did during 60's and 70's.

Read "Spare Parts" by Buzz Williams. You can find on the Barnes and Noble and website.

snipowsky
10-21-04, 10:19 AM
A Marine is a Marine... PERIOD!

Unless you are a Grunt, then you are a SUPER MARINE! lol

catrusler
10-21-04, 12:26 PM
Yes.. A Marine is a Marine...

But active duty life and reservists life...is very ...very different. Obviously, personnel on active duty are going to train more, and get more exposure to the every day Marine Corps. But you definitely miss out on a lot of the bull**** as well.

VarelaMJ
10-21-04, 03:34 PM
Those are all good points, thanks. Just today I had a guy say "oorah, devildog" to me. He didnt have to know if I was a reservist or not, he just reconized my nice clothes and a fresh high and tight.

hrscowboy
10-21-04, 06:16 PM
grunts supermarines omg i cant believe this

HardJedi
10-21-04, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
grunts supermarines omg i cant believe this

which part ya having trouble with Cowboy?? lol

hrscowboy
10-21-04, 08:21 PM
those grunts seem to forget who got those supermarines there like the air wingers or the amtrackers or motor transport i rest my case on the supermarines.... hahahahahahah supermarines what next....

HardJedi
10-21-04, 08:27 PM
awww come on! I never forgot who got me there. ;) Matter of fact, I used to take great delight in throuwin a CS grenade inside a track late at night while all those guy's were sleeping :D

hrscowboy
10-22-04, 01:52 AM
cold hearted jedi cold hearted...

yellowwing
10-22-04, 02:03 AM
In a crisis, I'd pick no other to have my back then another Marine. Active, Reserve, Active Reserve, Retired...whatever. Gung Ho...Semper Fidelis!