PDA

View Full Version : AR active reserves???

VarelaMJ
10-19-04, 12:38 PM
I am currently enlisted as a reservist, but I was told I could go active if I want. I was thinking of doing that, but I also heard about active reserves. Can somebody explain active reserves to me??

seandayley
10-19-04, 12:49 PM
If you are already doing your one weekend a month thing then it is the same thing. The difference is that the active is just that, active in training. Then there is the inactive reserves, and that is just that, inactive. That is what you are when you leave the Marine Corps active duty and you do not want to do the one weekend a month thing.

If you are thinking about going active and you do not have anything to tie you down, then go and do it.

By the way have enough fun for all of us.

GunnyL
10-19-04, 12:52 PM
Have you already gone to Recruit Training and Graduated? Or are you still a poolee?
If you are in a reserve unit, you can talk to your command to see if they have any slots for Active Reserves. There are typically specific jobs that a Reserve Unit can bring on in a full time capacity but they are few and far between and it may require that you move to a different location.
If you want to go Active Duty and are already a drilling Reservist, you need to talk to your Recruiter and see if there are any slots open to bring you on.
If you are a poolee and you want to switch to Active Duty from Reserves, you need to let your Recruiter know ASAP! Reserve quotas are filled from a different Que than Active Duty and to keep from losing that job and depriving someone else the opportunity, the Recruiter needs to know as soon as possible so he/she can fill that position.

GunnyL

VarelaMJ
10-19-04, 01:01 PM
I am on boot leave, I graduated from PI on the 15th. So if I do get in that slot do I get the same benefits and pay as active? I am really confused on what to do.

GunnyL
10-19-04, 01:19 PM
First Devil Dog, Congratulations on becoming a Marine.

Second, you need to wait till you've finished School and checked into your Reserve Unit to see if there are any AR billets available and don't be surprised if they tell you they don't have any. Also, the billets are usually higher in Rank. Yes, they get the same pay and benefits as Active Duty Marines.

If you want to go on Active Duty, you need to get the Blessings of your unit and the Marine Corps needs to have a slot to bring you on Active Duty.

Regards,

GunnyL

LivinSoFree
10-19-04, 02:36 PM
From everyone I've talked to and the brief hip pocket class I've gotten on it, AR seems like the best kept secret in the Corps. From the Marines who I've talked to who've been in on it, they've basically dictated their duty station and billet every 3 three years to suit their pleasure... sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

greensideout
10-19-04, 03:27 PM
A sweet deal it is!

I did 4 yrs as an AGR. (Active Guard and Reserve).

The Gunny and LivinSoFree have spelled it out correctly.

snipowsky
10-19-04, 03:36 PM
Check this site out if you want to go active and you are reserves or IRR...

Reserve Marines may now volunteer for Mobilization billets.
Medically qualified Marines who have retired within the previous 5 years are now being sought for the Global War on Terrorism for individual augmentation of critical billets.

https://tfas.mol.usmc.mil/TFAS/login.do