PDA

View Full Version : Posers are always so entertaining

LivinSoFree
10-19-04, 09:27 AM
This was a response to a question asked in regards to a draft discussion thread on another site I post on... the user's name was "Navyman"

Not sure what the bootcamps are now but when I was in the Marines bootcamp was 16 weeks and when I was in the navy bootcamp was 12 weeks.

Wow... you'd better believed he's already been called out, but I thought y'all would get a kick out of this one.

HardJedi
10-19-04, 03:26 PM
When the heck was the guy there? Navy Boot 12 weeks? longest I have ever heard it being was 8 weeks for navy.

snipowsky
10-19-04, 03:41 PM
LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE! LMAO Freaking poser!

RichLundeen
10-19-04, 03:45 PM
Well, back when I was a super-secret-scout-sniper-seal........ I can't talk how long my basic-boot-recruit training was, because it's tippity-top SO secrect / confidential.

snipowsky
10-19-04, 03:48 PM
Ha ha Rich I was with that Navy Seal Ranger Marine Delta Force Parajumper Coast Guard unit too!

We did tippity-top SO secret/confidential missions in that one third world country remember?

RichLundeen
10-19-04, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky
Ha ha Rich I was with that Navy Seal Ranger Marine Delta Force Parajumper Coast Guard unit too!

We did tippity-top SO secret/confidential missions in that one third world country remember?

Oh yyeeAHHHH, it's ALL coming back to me now! The counter insurgency thingy-deal! That was a tight one, for sure! I thought we were gonners, until you whipped some of that super secret martial arts on that un-named platoon, against just us two!

Thanks for being there!

Wingers just wouldn't understand..................

jinelson
10-19-04, 04:00 PM
I meet a guy in a bar one time that said he was a Marine so I asked him what unit he was with and he said 1st platoon. Naturally I asked 1st platoon what and he again responded 1st platoon. If your gonna pose you would think you might research a little. Nimrods

Semper Fi
Juim

RichLundeen
10-19-04, 04:18 PM
It's crazy, most Jarheads have met posers. I never have. A friend of mine here in Colorado, has a Marine in his unit (MACS-23) claiming he was a sniper. The good Sgt, is gonna sniff out the facts, and get this guy reamed!

How come no one ever poses as one of us WAY cool Winger types is beyond me! ;>)

snipowsky
10-19-04, 04:31 PM
How come nobody poses as one of us machine gunners? Hell I wish I was in the Airwing, my knees and back would still be good to go.

I always envied Airwingers Rich if it makes you feel any better Marine! Most of us Grunts did!

greensideout
10-19-04, 04:38 PM
Wingers were in Nam two years before the gunts. :D

First to fight? LMAO

RichLundeen
10-19-04, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by snipowsky
How come nobody poses as one of us machinegunners? Hell I wish I was in the Airwing. My knees and back would still be good to go.

I always envied Airwingers Rich if it makes you feel any better Marine! Most of us Grunts did!

A med retired Jarhead friend of mine here was a machine gunner, then a TOW Marine. His back is screwed! He took a digger down the side of a hill in Oki while training after the 1st Gulf War.

Talk about funny, he's a Grunt that is now an Electrical Engineer.

snipowsky
10-19-04, 04:50 PM
Heavy guns will do that! Especially if you are humping a Ma Deuce or patrolling with a MK-19... some bright officers idea one time trying out something new for Marine Corps Headquarters.

The MK-19 always kicked my ass, thank God we didn't have to hump with it. I would have refused to lug that thing anything over a mile or more for sure! My neck still hurts just thinking about that day! Ugh!

:::Walks Away ****ed Off:::

LOCK ME UP IN THE BRIG SIR! lol

HardJedi
10-19-04, 04:59 PM
Know why no one ever poses as an air winger? cause most of the Idiots out there who would do such a thing aren't smart enough to know that The Marines HAVE an air wing

RichLundeen
10-19-04, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
Know why no one ever poses as an air winger? cause most of the Idiots out there who would do such a thing aren't smart enough to know that The Marines HAVE an air wing

Flying Grunts! Who'da THUNK?:D

Eaglestrikes
10-19-04, 09:19 PM
My Boot camp was eternal. (9 weeks) in 1966. I confess. I am a Hollywood Marine.
The sound of those Jets coming in, and going out, are for ever locked in my mind. The Naval Training Center was at the end of the runway across the bay. They probably got it worse. They were in the Flight Path. We were slightly off to the right on incoming.
Any way I took the super secret, don't ever tell anyone, it's so secret we are not telling you, course on 1833's at Camp Del Mar. That is AmTracs. When I got to Nam I expected to ride. Wrong. The super secret, we are not going to tell you group took over and I humped. Carrying an M60. Go figure.
As to Air wing. Second Tour. Switched from 1833 to 6055. Hydraulics/ Pneumatics. Got back to Nam. Figured I'd fly. Did. Door gunner. M60. Crashed. Got to carry it. Dam.
Well I finally got the highest rating possible. DBR. (Destroy Before Reading) I figured that was enough, so I left, after Twenty Years of BOOT CAMP. Twenty years the Marines spent preparing me for the roughest time ahead. Civilian Life. Now I am an 03 Tax Payer. Yay for me.
http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/1433/Marine air.jpg

http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/1433/Amgrunt_Logo_ 1.jpg_ Exp.png

LivinSoFree
10-20-04, 05:14 AM
^
Hoorah Sergeant... that's some good perspective.

jinelson
10-20-04, 07:47 AM
Eaglestrikes I too am a Hollywood Marine and you are right the brain housing group does get forever locked on the jets adjacent to the grinder. I went back to MCRDSD in May no more tents and quanset huts just private condos with personal hot tubs. Went on libo with a second week platoon and their DI down to TJ. Things have really tightened up down there. Sure am glad that when I got to Nam I went TAD to the wing and never left Swing with the wing. LMAO

Sempers
Jim

Eaglestrikes
10-22-04, 06:48 PM
Eaglestrikes I too am a Hollywood Marine and you are right the brain housing group does get forever locked on the jets adjacent to the grinder. I went back to MCRDSD in May no more tents and quanset huts just private condos with personal hot tubs. Went on libo with a second week platoon and their DI down to TJ. Things have really tightened up down there. Sure am glad that when I got to Nam I went TAD to the wing and never left Swing with the wing. LMAO
Pendleton? Basilone Rd? Camp Horno? What was that Mountain we had to climb in full gear and load. I got to carry the base plate for a 60 MM Mortar. It was Horno Ridge I know but it had another name. Ah. What fun... (Not).
http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/1433/Marine Thang.jpg

MillRatUSMC
10-22-04, 07:19 PM
Was it "Old Smokey"?
Where we did our training during ITR...
Would you believe that they run a 10K race up on Horno Ridge?

Here's what they say;
The Horno Ridge Off Road Challenge offers the ultimate in Hard Corps Competition in a cross-country 10K. The course begins at Camp Horno, Home of 1st Marines, and winds up, up, up, into the hills of Camp Pendleton. To start your challenge early, the first mile is uphill, over 500 feet of climbing, to the top of the ridge, then you will follow the ridge on a loop course that takes you past scenic vistas along gently rolling terrain.
HA,HA
LMAO on scenic vistas along gently rolling terrain!

To view a page on Horno Ridge 10K Run and othe races on Camp Pendleton.
www.camppendletonraces.com

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Eaglestrikes
10-22-04, 07:34 PM
Yeah. That was it. I remember when we got to the top we got a break. Some of em lit up and all you could hear was coughing.
Everyone was winded. Yeah. Thanks. Marathon huh? I might watch it but if they want me up there better get a CH53 in place.
I also heard there was a flight center there for Model Airplanes.
It was scenic. Once you got to the top you felt you could do anything. Saw a lot of Pendleton. Memories.
http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/1433/Marine by Choice.jpg

Arlene Horton
10-22-04, 09:52 PM
Jeez you guys! You must be aware that MCAS Cherry Point was home to many wingers...Mine was SOS-2. There were 2 of us Woman Marines who were "tower talkers". We were usually "blessed" with making the midrats chow run. The guys on our shifts knew the males in the mess hall would give us all the sandwichescoffee, fresh fruit and bakery that was available. If there weren't any women in the tower the male ordered to pick up the chow usually brought just enough sandwiches to feed the number of men in the tower. Semper Fi, dear grunts.

Eaglestrikes
10-23-04, 07:22 PM
Golly gee whiz Arlene. Tell you the truth. I never made it to MCAS Cherry Point. MCAS(H) Santa Ana and MCAS El Toro. Mine was a MO (Male Only) unit. No women. If they were in the towers we never saw them. The only time I saw a WM was at the MC Birthday Ball in El Toro. She was a 1st lt. Said yes maam and that was it. Bet you were a good tower talker. You have to be. Requires a great deal of patience. Nice to meet you. Semper Fi.
The Few The Proud The Marines.
http://www.afreeimagehost.com/upload/1433/Sniper. Pro Choice.jpg

decuervo
10-24-04, 01:20 AM
Every time I run into an ex-Marine they almost always tell me they were in SSP or Recon. Idiots, why can't they be proud of what they really were? I was a lowly 0351 SMAW gunner, hell, it's as good as a sniper (plus I didn't have to be as accurate to kill someone, any shot close to them and they're a nice red mist) Anyone remember the hill called Sheep Sh*t in SOI? It was that steep one to the left leading up to Old Smokey?

CPLRapoza
10-24-04, 02:07 AM
My dad talks about Sheep$h!t and Mount Mother****er alot, though I have never been up either. But I did hump up cardiac in 29 Palms, that was good enough for me.

HardJedi
10-24-04, 06:12 AM
trust me Rapoza, the names of those mountains were well earned :D

decuervo
10-25-04, 02:16 AM
Thanks Rapoza, wanted to make sure that the hill wasn't only a figment of memory.

Pop-A-TopII
10-25-04, 02:00 PM
An Air Winger Here ,
Air Dale or Grunt,
Housemouse or DI,
CO or **** Bunner,
We all say Semper Fi!

It don't matter. :marine:

jinelson
10-25-04, 02:27 PM
Sgt Rapoza those are the two names that I remember. Old smokey was there also, all part of my ITR memories when I was with Quebec Company.