PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm bored and curious

HardJedi
10-18-04, 09:03 PM
Not that it matters one little bit, but I was just wondering what everyones ethnic/family background is? No real reason to ask, or to gather this information, other than I am an insufferably curious person.

as for me, My family is predominatley Welsh/German, with a little Itallian thrown in.

nc.gal
10-18-04, 09:17 PM
To the bored HardJedi:

Several years ago, I did a family tree on my dads side---searched libraries, went to D.C.,searched their archives, searched in Virginia and North Carolina.
On my dad's side, I am English/Welsh and on my mom's side---Scottish.

Doing a family tree is a lot of hard work, but worth it.

HardJedi
10-18-04, 09:20 PM
WEE! someone is willing to help alleiviate my boredome! SWEET!

ok, so , TWO FOR THE WELSH!

let's see who ends up having the most representation on these boards. Once again, just cause I am curious.

Sgted
10-18-04, 09:32 PM
German/ Swedish Father's side.

100% Italian Mother's side.

mrbsox
10-18-04, 09:36 PM
Bowersox
From BAUERSACHS
German; means 'Salt House' I think.

Some French (Trulleus) and French Canadian (Archambault(sp?)) thrown in for good measure. Not real sure if 'Walker' is English.
I also think there was an Indian in the wood shed some where along the line.

I guess when you stir it all, it comes out

AMERICAN

HardJedi
10-18-04, 09:42 PM
well, of COURSE American. ;)

so.
2 welsh
3 german
2 italian
1 swede
1 english ( maybe 2)

and an Indian in the woodpile huh? :o

greensideout
10-18-04, 09:45 PM
Mother--100% German

Father--100% French

With the political air of today, that may not look good on my resume---LOL---but then, it may look that I am a very loving and smart fellow---LOL.

Arlene Horton
10-18-04, 09:47 PM
Gee...I guess so far I'm the only one with one nationality background. Pure (?) Polish. My hubby said he married me so he could spell my last name!!! He's Scotch-English-German. He's a riot when he tries to pronounce Polish names on businesses! Hope this eases the boredom. Semper Fi.

HardJedi
10-18-04, 09:48 PM
wait, Greensideout, which part is loving, and which part is smart? LOL ;) ( just razzing ya!)

thedrifter
10-18-04, 10:09 PM
My Dad....100% German

My Mother.....100% Sicilian

I took after the Silican side....

I do have to say..... Roger was the same, just the reverse in parents.....

Ellie

yellowwing
10-18-04, 10:10 PM
My Grandpa's Grandpa was Swedish. That makes me 15/16 Native American and 1/16 Swedish. That might explain my rare obession with meatballs!

mmmm...meatball sub and a Budweiser! :lick:

Sparrowhawk
10-18-04, 11:36 PM
On Mother's side, Mexican/Aztec Indian.

On Father's side, Spanish, Italian

White is full blooded Irish,

but mostly we eat Mexican food....

LMAO

MillRatUSMC
10-19-04, 01:39 AM
Mother side Mexican, French, Mexican Indians from northern Mexico.
Mexico also has Indians other Aztec.
That why the Spanish was able to overcome the Aztec in what now is Mexico City.
Father side Mexican and Native American and there's some French in my father side...somewhere in the mix...last name is Jacques...
My mother side last name is Marcial...could also be Marshall...but they spell it Marcial...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
10-19-04, 01:52 AM
A little history on the conquest of the Aztecs by Cortez;

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/history/malinche.html

"La Malinche" - - Harlot or Heroine?
Author: Shep Lenchek

"La Malinche." Slave, interpreter, secretary, mistress, mother of the first "Mexican." her very name still stirs up controversy.

Many Mexicans continue to revile the woman called Doņa Marina by the Spaniards and La Malinche by the Aztecs, labeling her a traitor and harlot for her role as the alter-ego of Cortes as he conquered Mexico.

The name "La Malinche" is used to degrade the person that it's aimed at...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

marinemom
10-19-04, 05:44 AM
Well, Arlene, that makes two of us Polish - my father's side - my grandfather had to leave Poland really fast prior to WWI - he was a professor at the unoversity in Krakow and ticked of the Czar's governer - he was all for Poland getting it's own government back. Guess that is where my attitude towards government comes from.

My mom's side is Scottish mostly ... immigrated after the "sheep land" problem and the family has been here since before 1776....and have fought in every war for the US side.

awb5711
10-19-04, 06:29 AM
My mom's side is Irish/English

My father's side is Czech

CAR
10-19-04, 06:39 AM
Dad's side is Cuban/ Spanish
Moms side is Ecuadorian.

I think I was the only Cuban to grow up in Indiana and listen to country music. (unofficially of course)

Osotogary
10-19-04, 07:34 AM
Father was born in Germany.
Mother was born in the Moselle area of Germany.
With names like Shermund, Otto, Lange, Heinrich etc., etc. in the family I still wound up with an Irish last name. Reason- Dad had to change names while serving with the US Army during WWII in Germany.
For the longest, I thought I was Irish but to be fair about it I celebrated both Patron Saints Days.. Ireland (St.Patrick) and Germany (St. Boniface). I can tell you now that I got more free beer using my Irish last name on St. Patrick's Day than I ever did using my German name on St. Boniface Day!

CplCrotty
10-19-04, 07:48 AM
The Crotty family originates from County Waterford, Ireland. My maternal grandfather came from Austria and my maternal grandmother from Lithuania.
All in all, I would describe myself as of 'Celtic" origin, especially now that I'm reading James Webb's "Born Fighting" - a book a highly recommend. Webb is a former Marine Lt. who wrote "Fields of Fire."

snipowsky
10-19-04, 08:00 AM
Father's side German...

Mother's side Irish...

110% red, white and blue blooded
AMERICAN by birth...MARINE by choice!

jinelson
10-19-04, 08:24 AM
Irish on mom's side and swedish on dads

HardJedi
10-19-04, 09:05 AM
time to tally again :D

2 Welsh
6 German
4 Italian
2 French
2 English
3 Swede
2 Scottish
2 Polish
3 Native American ( counting Native Mexican in that)
2 Spanish
4 Irish
1 Czech
1 Cuban
1 Ecuadorian
1 lithuanian
1 austrian

The Germans Have the LEAD!

Osotogary
10-19-04, 09:42 AM
HardJedi,
I believe that the Germans comprise the largest ethnic group in the United States.

Namvet67
10-19-04, 10:27 AM
Dad's side Brit...Mom's side Dutch..and I'm 100% American Marine

Devildogg4ever
10-19-04, 11:39 AM
Got some Irish, Indian, and a little Dutch!! What a mess!

HardJedi
10-19-04, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
HardJedi,
I believe that the Germans comprise the largest ethnic group in the United States.

yep, damn evil Germans anyway! Spreading thier nefairious seed throughout the world :banana:

wsky9er
10-19-04, 07:16 PM
My father - 100% Italian
My mother - 100% Italian

So guess that makes me 100% American

greensideout
10-19-04, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi

yep, damn evil Germans anyway! Spreading thier nefairious seed throughout the world :banana:

There you go! Kicking the ribs of an ethnic group that has brought science to the other ethnic groups that were just trying to figure out what day it was.

I really find that reprehensible and offensive. Very evil in character! :mad: ;)

HardJedi
10-19-04, 07:46 PM
LOL. Ok, well, me being about 1/3 German, I feel free to bag on my own people from time to time ;) after all, if you can't pick on your OWN kind, who CAN you pick on?

Sgted
10-19-04, 09:20 PM
Zen you mix da scnitzel vid the ruladen for za tasty meal from za motherland.

Hardjedi.......just vhat is za count now ?.
I do not have enough fingers & toes so I KNOW NOTHzing.

Schultz.