PDA

View Full Version : How Marine Training can hurt you, Years after it is over

HardJedi
10-17-04, 07:22 PM
Ok, I have been out of the Corps since feb of 1995. And even after ALL that time, some of the things I learned as an 0311, have come back to recently cause me pain.

So there I was this last weekend, Bored. I decided, what the heck, I think I'll go to a couple Haunted houses, since I had never been to one, and Kansas City has a few that are supposed to be awsome, plus the actor that played Leatherneck in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie was gonna be there.

So,, I pay my $20.00 and go on in! Now, what is it you are taught to do in infantry school at the first sound of a gunshot or explosion, or danger period? hit the ground and roll/move, so that you are no longer where the enemy thinks you are, right?

So this big a$$ mechanical werewolf comes out of nowhere at me, and i hit the deck and roll, and WHAM! right into the corner of a wall! OUCH! My poor ribs. ALL through out this hour long maze of terror, every time something lunged at me, I immediatley would hit the deck and roll, without thinking. LOL this was on concrete floors, with painted black wooden walls all around, so you couldn't see em. I slammed into SOOO many of them LOL MY POOR KNEES, RIBS, AND BACK! ROFL

Also, some poor kid in a Jack the Ripper costume snuck up on me and put a Knife to my back. Poor kid, I back handed him and swept his legs before I realised what i was doing!

who woulda thought that kinda stuff would stick with you almost ten years after the last time you practiced any of it?

LOL, I just thought it was kinda funny. Also, I am not allowed in any of their silly haunted houses anymore LOL :D

yellowwing
10-17-04, 07:41 PM
Priceless! I think you paid $20 to scare the crap out of them, just think if you had your whole fire team with you. :)

thedrifter
10-17-04, 07:43 PM
Last night I went on a Haunted Hayride/Bonfire...with my children and there girlfriends and boyfriends.

We all were told the rules. We were not allowed to touch the actors for no reason.

We were traveling through the graveyard when one of the actors, grabbed my azz from behind me. No one touches me without permission.

When this zombie decided to do it again, I looked him in the eye, and said move on.

Well I guess he didn't take my warning to seriously, and he decided to do it again. I stood up in the wagon and said if you do that again, I'm going to kick your f****** azz. I have been Marine Trained....;) He finally got the hint.

I think I have been hanging around You Marines too long.;) :D

Ellie

HardJedi
10-17-04, 07:47 PM
rofl , Ellie. <br />
<br />
Heck yellowing, maybe I shoulda charged THEM, huh? LOL

mrbsox
10-17-04, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by thedrifter

I think I have been hanging around You Marines too long.;) :D

Ellie

I'm shocked.... I didn't think you COULD hang around Marines TOO long !! lol

True what you say HJ.
Been out since 79. To this day, sudden, low frequency things put me into a defensive mode. Thunder, cars backfiring, things dropped.
It was years before the (ex)wife could wake me up if I was asleep. Shake the bed, but NOT me !! Don't sneak up behind me. I've grabbed people and been ready to lay them out, before realizing " Hey... your in the office" !!

Yep, it sticks with you.

But.... is that a bad thing ??
Naw.

Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine !!

Terry

HardJedi
10-17-04, 08:27 PM
Yep, I kept telling myself, DON'T do that AGAIN! you are in a FAKE haunted house, so Iwould try and mentally prepare myself each time, but it did no good! LOL. I still went straight to the deck each time :D

Sparrowhawk
10-17-04, 09:04 PM
If I put up a hunted house, will you come by?
:D

LOL

HardJedi
10-17-04, 09:08 PM
well, what's my cut of the take? ;)

thedrifter
10-17-04, 09:11 PM
Cook I just love haunted houses....;)

The problem is I don't scare too easy....:D

Ellie

HardJedi
10-17-04, 09:16 PM
OOPS just noticed, I responded to something for Ellie, my bad LOL

Sgt Sostand
10-18-04, 08:51 AM
That Kinda Funny LOL LOL....... HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Namvet67
10-18-04, 11:58 AM
I've been out for over 30 years and it's still with me. I guess it will go away when you are no longer physically able to respond. When the Marines train you..you stay trained.

HardJedi
10-18-04, 01:22 PM
well, i guess so :)

Osotogary
10-18-04, 01:29 PM
Hadjedi,
I just did a cartoon about your exploits in Haunted Houseville. I'll scan it this evening and see if I can get it posted.
Gary

HardJedi
10-18-04, 01:32 PM
LOL, thanks Gary!

mrbsox
10-18-04, 02:10 PM
ohhhhhh.....

This has GOT to be good :banana:

HardJedi
10-19-04, 06:16 PM
a link to Ostogary's cartoon of the "incedent" :D

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=94536#post94536

Sgt. Smitty
10-21-04, 12:31 PM
Jedi......I agree with gbudd, been out 30 years this year and i still get cold shivers every time i hear a chopper, whether it's on tv or in real life. A jackhammer will also make me hit the deck and start lookin for my rifle, it sounds like a 50 cal. goin off. Don't be too surprised if things set you off, it's normal(?) whatever that is. It's called self-preservation and will stay with you the rest of your life.

decuervo
10-22-04, 01:24 PM
It's crazy all that muscle memory stuff they drill into you in the infantry never leaves. I find myself jumping out of bed and grabbing for my boots sometimes when it thunders real loud at night. It really freaks my wife out (well worth the interupted slumber :)

Namvet67
10-22-04, 01:47 PM
Sgt.Smitty..Did the rain stop so you can get that scooter out on the rain for a little R&R? I rode last nite and this morning and it did me a world of good. I think you suffer from low adrenalin and you have to find ways to get it back up to par. I know I am a adrenalin junkie. HD is the medicine for me. Hope you are having a better day.

Sgt. Smitty
10-27-04, 11:54 AM
unfortunately it's still wet here, but thinkin about puttin on a wet suit and goin for a putt anyway.......LOL.........been gettin my adrenilin by fishin for chinook salmon lately, talk about a rush, hook into a 35-40 lb. fish on 20 lb. line and see how fast you get your adrenilin goin.....works for me!!

Namvet67
10-27-04, 12:04 PM
Sounds like fun to me, but I think I still would rather get out on the highway. Have a good one.

jo_beth
10-27-04, 12:17 PM
Watch something scary.

The grudge.... I almost "sharded" myself last night. I usually am all "what's next! what's next!"

Luckily I was sitting in a chair, or I would have been ducking and rolling... right across a sticky floor... ew