PDA

View Full Version : Selling Marines tougher in wartime

thedrifter
10-17-04, 07:26 AM
Oct. 17, 2004, 12:47AM

Selling Marines tougher in wartime
Despite dropoff in numbers, many teens are eager for the opportunities the military offers
By TOM BERG
Orange County Register

SANTA ANA, CALIF. - Let's face it. It's a sales job. They're selling American teens adventure, success in life, confidence, courage and commitment. And an occasional war.

I feel kind of scared about Iraq," said Monserrat Ramirez, 16, a Fullerton, Calif., Union High School junior, after agreeing to talk to a female Marine recruiter last week.

"But she said they'd teach you to be brave and strong. It seems fun. I'd have lots of opportunities to do different stuff and be brave."

Marine recruiters say the war has caused about a 20 percent drop-off in recruits.

"The numbers have dropped a little," said Gunnery Sgt. John Choi, who runs the Mission Viejo, Calif., recruiting substation. "But the quality and type of Marines we're getting is much better."

Choi, 26, knows a thing or two about recruiting.

Last year, the Marines named him "National Recruiter of the Year," for signing up 60 recruits in an office where the annual average is about 25 per recruiter. His approach?

"There is a reason why a young man joins the Marines," he said. "And there is usually something about the recruiter that makes the young man or woman say, 'I want to be like them.' "

Sharing his love for job
So Choi acts like himself.

"I love what I do, and people want to know why I love it so much," he said. "I tell them."

Then he dispels the biggest misconceptions — that Marines are brainwashed; that they joined because they couldn't get into college; and that they have no freedom to live off base or enjoy hobbies.

"Those are probably the biggest hurdles we have to hop over," he says.

Local Marine recruiters typically visit one or two high schools each day. They drop off Marine book covers at the career center. Deliver talks to willing classes. And simply roam the halls, shaking hands and handing out business cards.

The war has polarized attitudes about their presence. Some teachers welcome them and invite them to speak. Others cast unwelcome glances.

The waiting game
"To some faculty, it seems like we're soliciting," said Staff Sgt. Juan Delgado, 26, of the Mission Viejo substation. "They won't say anything, but you can just tell all eyes are on you."

Rather than offend anyone, Delgado stands patiently outside a side door used by students to walk from one class to another.

"There's a lot of standing around waiting, but it's the only way we get exposure with the kids," he said.

When an older boy walks by, Delgado engages him in conversation.

"Hey bro, are you a senior?"

The boy nods, gives his name, and they talk about his plans. He's thinking of becoming a mechanic after graduation.

"Is it all right if I call you to sit down and talk?"

The boy agrees and gives his phone number.

On this visit, Delgado hands out two cards and speaks with a "poolee" — a student he's already recruited to join the Marines after graduation.

"They're the most professional and well-disciplined branch, and they take on the hardest jobs," James Frkovich, 17, of Dana Point, Calif., said of his choice.

"If I have to go fight a war like Iraq, I want to know the people I'm with also chose the hardest service and can take the most endurance."

Recruiters work with poolees to prepare them for boot camp.

Staff Sgt. Nilda Valdez, of the Marine recruiting substation in Fullerton, trains each day with Hugo Lopez, 19, of La Habra, Calif., to bring his weight down to 207 pounds by Oct. 18.

That's when boot camp starts. Lopez was at 219 pounds when he signed up last December. After graduating La Vista High School in Fullerton last June, his weight shot up to 237 pounds.

For his height, he must be below 207 pounds or face a delayed entry, so he wears Saran Wrap around his waist to sweat more as he runs with Valdez.

"I really have no concern, no fears, if they ask me to go to war because I'll be well-trained," he said during his workout. "My only concern is trying to lose this weight."

A range of questions
While speaking to a class at Fullerton Union High, Valdez fields questions:

Can you see your family at boot camp? (No.) Do you train every day? (Yes.) Are you paid? (Yes.) Can you die in training? (They take every precaution to prevent it.)

Valdez keeps the banter light. "Call me Sarge," she says early on.

Then: "Girls, don't freak out. We don't get our heads shaved."

Of boot camp, she says, "Nobody's going to beat you up. But there is a lot of discipline."

After class, three students agree to stop by her office to talk.

Valdez says she's noticed little change in recruiting due to the war. She signs, on average, two to three new recruits each month. Parents tend to ask more questions about the war than the recruits themselves.

"They ask, 'Will my son go to war?' " she said. "I don't tell them no. I'd be lying if I did. I let them know this isn't the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts. We don't go selling cookies. We are America's 9-1-1 — the most elite branch of the service."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2850049

Ellie

decuervo
10-24-04, 02:32 AM
Sh*t, if I was 2 years younger i'd go back in just to help support our brothers over there. Always room for an extra gun on the line.

DudefromDiego
09-06-10, 03:30 AM
Selling Marines tougher in wartime? Pff. Didn't stop me:). I told my Recruiter straight up that I didn't care about the money for college, so he didn't have to give me the sales pitch. I wouldn't have signed my name on the contract if I didn't know what I was getting into. If I get blown up in some distant land and come home in a flag draped box, I would rather have it happen for something I genuinely wanted to do, rather than get killed crossing the street.

But why would she let them call her Sarge? I know they are kids and all, but calling a Marine "sarge" (from what I've heard) is a good way to lose teeth. I know it flies in the Army, but isn't the same as calling a Marine a Soldier? I think I am over analyzing this.

Lisa 23
09-06-10, 07:45 AM
DudefromDiego...you do realize that this thread is 6 years old, don't you?

Supersquishy
09-06-10, 07:47 AM
Talk about grave digging...LOL Im sure the story has reversed because of this economy.

DudefromDiego
09-06-10, 01:26 PM
DudefromDiego...you do realize that this thread is 6 years old, don't you?

Yes. But even if the war rages until 2020, I still planned on enlisting, whether or not we are in war or not. :)

advanced
09-24-10, 01:02 PM
I joined during wartime. Why would anyone want to join during peacetime?

Lisa 23
09-24-10, 04:10 PM
I joined during wartime. Why would anyone want to join during peacetime?

At the time I joined, and the many others who have joined also, there was no war going on in 1988.

ScarSniper
09-24-10, 05:08 PM
Selling Marines tougher in wartime? Pff. Didn't stop me:). I told my Recruiter straight up that I didn't care about the money for college, so he didn't have to give me the sales pitch. I wouldn't have signed my name on the contract if I didn't know what I was getting into. If I get blown up in some distant land and come home in a flag draped box, I would rather have it happen for something I genuinely wanted to do, rather than get killed crossing the street.

But why would she let them call her Sarge? I know they are kids and all, but calling a Marine "sarge" (from what I've heard) is a good way to lose teeth. I know it flies in the Army, but isn't the same as calling a Marine a Soldier? I think I am over analyzing this.

Same here. I wasn't even recruited. Seems you and I think alike, because every time someone asks me if I'm afraid to die, I tell them we could die at any given moment. I live in N.Y. where a nut-job might easily decide to push me on the subway tracks because he wanted to see if the 3rd rail really is electric, so death can occur at any given moment. Hell, 1/2 my face is literally ripped up because of an accident I got into last week on a speed-bike, so for me the word "safe" doesn't apply in my world. I walked into the recruiting station on my own accord, and my (then) recruiter didn't have to kick any game in my direction to get me interested in joining the Marine Corps. Hell, the Marines don't want some peppered-kid afraid to get his/her hands dirty anyway, no? I too would rather perish overseas surrounded by good men knowing I went out standing up for my own freedom and the freedom of America. I mean, from what I've heard some Marines say, once you're over there, in the middle of it, even if you don't agree with the cause, you still feel urgency knowing you're fighting for the man on your 6, 3, 9, and 12.

JNelson
09-25-10, 12:51 PM
Like the Marines and Poolees above said I would join in any situation, wartime is a time to stand up for your country and the rights that it provides. I will stand up for the U.S. anytime she is in trouble or threatened, I can't go infantry but if I ever find myself in a war zone I'll fight to the best of my ability because of my commitment.