PDA

View Full Version : More Wounded Troops to Remain on Duty

Sparrowhawk
10-15-04, 06:56 AM
Ellie posted this on another tread and after reading it, I felt it deserves its own thread. <br />
<br />
<br />
I've always felt the Corps should do more to keep Marines that have been wounded in the service if...

fulmetaljackass
10-15-04, 08:38 AM
I've read that the SAS keeps members with greivous injuries (amputation etc.) and uses them as training cadre since there's no reason to let their training go to waste as long as they still have good info to pass on. I also read in Black Hawk Down about a Delta Force soldier who lost his leg and learned how to get around well enough on his prosthetic that he actually rejoined his team.

....and I'm sure most of us have seen Men of Honor with Robert DeNiro and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Osotogary
10-15-04, 11:04 AM
I believe that there was a Sergeant Hamblin (?) in the Marine Corps awhile back who completed his jump qualification with a leg (below the knee) prothesis. I believe that there is a book about him titled, "One Tough Marine".
It has been awhile (3-4 years, maybe more) since I read the book. I hope that I am pretty close to the correct spelling of the Sergeants name and the book title.

gys
10-15-04, 03:57 PM
I remember Ssgt Hamblin at Camp Pendleton around 1960. Later after I left Pendleton, he jumped at Pendleton and the wind blew him into into high power voltage lines. Ssgt Hamblin was my Platoon Sgt at one of the schools I attended in the 22 area at Pendleton. He did his requal at Lake O'Neil with the prothesis leg. I had tremendous respect for him. He ran us around the 22 area with us singing the songs he came up with. What memories.

gys
10-16-04, 11:01 AM
Osotogary

You are correct on the book title and Ssgt Hamblins name spelling. I was unaware there was a book out. Iwent to Amazon.com and found the book. I ordered the book and will be reading it when it arrives. I had not heard of what had happened to Ssgt Hamblin until you listed him in this post. I see according to the book he retired as a 1st Sgt. What an accomplishment.