PDA

View Full Version : All-Marine team wrestles with new prospects

thedrifter
10-15-04, 05:51 AM
All-Marine team wrestles with new prospects
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification #: 20041013205127
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan (Oct. 12, 2004) -- Two Marines from the All-Marine wrestling team visited Iwakuni looking for new prospects to hopefully join the team next year.

Dan Hicks and James Shillow hit the Station mats in their first stop in a trip that will take them to several Marine bases in which they offer clinics and get to look at Marines who may be on the team next year.

“We are here to find new talent,” said Shillow, an Atlanta native. “When we don’t have a full team we start looking around.”

The coach of the All-Marine wrestling team, Hicks, sees this as an opportunity to learn about the Marines who will be trying out for the team next year.

“Part of it is to familiarize Marines with the Marine Corps wrestling team,” said coach Hicks, a wrestler with over 20 years experience. “We have plenty of qualified Marines out there; we’re trying to get them to camp in February. This will help me when I am going over applications.”

These two Marines know how to find a Marine who can benefit next year’s team. Both Hicks and Shillow have all the tools needed in wrestling; experience, skill and talent necessary to land them both as alternates to the Olympic games in Greece.
For the Station Marines in attendance at the clinic, this not only offers them a chance to get back on the mats, it also gives them an opportunity to make a name for themselves with the coaches.

“I wrestled all through high school,” said Nate Powell, communications local control center chief for Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron. “I’d like to get back into wrestling and would like to get an invitation to tryouts. This lets you know if your up to the test.”

Marines who make it onto the All-Marine wrestling team are extremely skilled wrestlers and often thrive in competition. Currently there are four All-Marine wrestlers on the United States National team. The last Marine to appear in the Olympics was in 1992. The coaches of the team are aware of the talent they have and are grateful to be on the team.

“I am fortunate to do something I love to do,” said Hicks. “Because the Marine Corps allows me to do this I know I better be pretty good at it.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004101321958/$file/Wrestlinglowres.jpg

Joshua Williams, a heavy equipment mechanic with Combat Service Support Detachment 36, has Benjamin Wynkoop, Marinne Aviation Logistics Squadron 12, on the ground after flipping him over. Photo by: Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3E05C304F664FDA185256F2D0004B631?opendocument

Ellie