MillRatUSMC
10-14-04, 07:05 AM
http://mc1soft.com/info/service.htm
How spammers get your E-Mail address or addresses

http://mc1soft.com/info/trojans.htm
All spam is NOT harmless junk

http://www.lucidimages.net/spam.html
Another informative page on spam robots

How they get your E-Mail address or addresses is through the HTML source code on your web page or other web pages where you place your E-Mail address.
That what spam robots search for E-Mail addys.
Even on messages boards, you can check by right clicking on a page where a post you placed and choose View Source on Internet Explorer or Netscape.
On other browsers it might be different but I sure the word Source will be there in some form.

MillRatUSMC
10-14-04, 07:16 AM
When you look at the Source Code, look for mailto:youremailname@youremailprovider.com or net or .org...can't think of any more besides those.
Among all the Source Code that tell the Browser how to display a web page.
Here it might be different because you have to sign in and you only can Private Message or E-Mail using what Leatherneck.com provides.
But other Messages Boards might be different especially if you use your private E-Mail addy.
I have several, one I never use...that one I use for private E-Mail and it doesn't get bombed by Spam not of my choosing...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

Sparrowhawk
10-14-04, 09:08 AM
or snail mail.

Those commies, That's why I have several email addresses, so many that sometimes I forget which one I used for what, but my web page email address is always loaded with spam.

Cook

yellowwing
10-14-04, 09:46 AM
The FBI and Federal Trade Commission finally operated a sting a few months ago on spam emailers.

They purchased some junk offered by spam email. When they traced who recieved the money, they went in with warrants.

I think they should do alot more of that! If companies would not pay these spam slimebags, we would not have this problem.

MillRatUSMC
10-14-04, 12:13 PM
On another message board, it was brought up, your safe as long as you don't open an E-Mail on what's called a Header or the title of that E-Mail.
As soon as you click to open an E-Mail, if it calls for a cookie, that cookie is send back to Internet Service Provider and it in turn send it one to were the cookie was requested...most likely your "friendly" spammer telling him or her that E-Mail is active...so it's safe to send the spamm or junk to you...
Hate these spammers as much as I hate pop-up Windows.
if I could get ahold of author of those pop-up Windows, I would give him or her a piece of my mind...can't get physical...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

LivinSoFree
10-14-04, 01:07 PM
One of the most common and effective ways to prevent "spiders" (software designed to crawl the web and harvest email addresses) is to add something along the lines of "removethistag" to the beginning and/or end of email addresses that you place in your posts, contact links, etc. so the link would look something like this:

<a href="mailto:removethistagthedrifter@leatherneck.comremo vethistag">Contact the Drifter</a>

Which, for any human being is easy to change to the real address, but for an automated spider harvesting hundreds of thousands of email addresses, it's enough extra work that more often than not it'll keep your address from being submitted to spam crawlers. It's not a catch all or a perfect solution, but it will cut down the volume.

Devildogg4ever
10-16-04, 06:39 AM
Some great info, MillRatUSMC!!! You also have to watch some of the pop-ups, too! Some say you have spyware and want you to click on their procuct to see if you have it! Before it's over, you have spyware from them and they have the email from you! Webmasters need to watch some of the free content the add to their pages or site! They work the same ways the pop-ups do! Alot of free content have pop-ups!

Choppergunner
10-16-04, 08:13 AM
Not meant as a advertisment, but I've got AOL landline and they prevent spamm to reach my mailbox, and it stops those annoying popup ads that takes me away from what I'm trying to do.

Got rid of Verizon DSL, (saving jing $$), and my computer works better than before...
I use AOL landlane connection....its as fast as Verizon and without the headaches of refreshing a page before opening. That happened alot of times to me with DSL Verizon
....most disconcerting when you have a train of thought going with another poster for rapid response and the dang computer freezes up.
No problems with aol in that area either.

I have Norton's...and run AdWare 6.0 everyday to catch the cookies. In 10 years I've not had a problem with a virus.

I live in Boston.....not sure if aol service is same everywhere.
ie: my sister lives in rural Ohio and aol sucked for her, but, that was 4 years ago...
Maybe some of youse guys have it in other areas and can tell us if it's as good as mine.

just being helpful
Semper Fidelis,
Patrick Hayes

Sgted
10-16-04, 11:00 AM
I've got Sprint DSL with Earthlink. I never have a problem with my DSL. Actually, I don't know how I managed before I installed the DSL.
I have Zone Alarm (free) installed and AdAware (free).
Norton Antivirus.
Like Choppergunner, I run AdAware everyday, sometimes twice per day.
I scan my computer for viruses at least once per week.
Everyday as soon as I boot up I check for virus updates.
Earthlink incorporates a fine pop up blocker and I just do not have a problem with pop up's.
I get a few junk Emails which I never open, reply to or unsubscribe to. I block the sender which also blocks that particular DNS assuring no more junk mail from that particular address.(or computer).
I never leave my DSL modem on when I'm away from the computer. If I do, I engage the "Internet lock" on my firewall (Zone Alarm) which blocks ALL incoming or outgoing activity.
On issues with Windows I always check for security updates even though I'm configured for automatic updates.
I am very careful but still understand there will always be a risk.

LivinSoFree
10-16-04, 01:24 PM
Allow me to note that as far as popup blocking, Mozillia FireFox browser works like a CHARM. AdAware is a good tool to run, you'll want to run it in conjunction with Spybot Search & Destroy (with a name like that, it's gotta be some motivated trash).

Devildogg4ever
10-16-04, 02:48 PM
Good advice, LivinSoFree! I was fixing to add about the Adware and Spybot Search & Destroy!! These will help keeping your computer as clean as you can! For the person who knows a little more, you can also run Hijack This! This cleans out your registery keys!

LivinSoFree
10-16-04, 05:07 PM
The only issue with Hijack This! is that it finds EVERYTHING... including some items that are legit, rather than malicious, and takes a ridiculous amount of time to run if you've got a well used system, which is why I recommend that HT! only be used when necessary, not as routine maintainence, and preferably only by users who are familiar with the Windows Registry and what is and isn't malicious.

Sgt0811
10-16-04, 06:27 PM
I run FireFox with Adware, Spybot Search & Destroy. I also use Registry First Aid.
I have not had any problems since I loaded FireFox. I also have Comcast Cable Modem. I have an update service that checks and installs the updates for these programs several times a week.

:marine: