PDA

View Full Version : questions...

txbluejay
10-13-04, 02:19 PM
I am in the process of joining the marines, going through PLC, and had a few questions for any WMs that had gone this route or were familiar with the process.

What does the initial physical exam entail? (not the pft, the doc's exam)

How much time do we spend with the guys at OCS? We'll be working with guys and mostly with guys when we finish so it seems silly to me to separate us for training.

Are any of you or have any of you worked with a female combat engineer? My major is civil engineering and I'm interested in the MOS, but have come across some articles that said many assignments in the MOS were closed to women since they were classified as front line, which affected promotability and career advancement. Any thoughts on this or on the MOS in general would be appreciated.

That's all for now, but if you have any other advice of things to watch out for or opportunities I should keep in mind please add that too.

Thanks!

Pel
10-14-04, 08:04 PM
Marines ;)

HardJedi
10-14-04, 10:08 PM
Wow, a little concerned with the availability of male Marines? LOL ;)

hrscowboy
10-14-04, 10:35 PM
well get ready to be a office pouge cause you wont be driving no emco road grader or a cat bulldozer anywhere that i know of while your in the corps..

naclyknine
10-15-04, 11:23 AM
sheesh

debk50
11-05-04, 09:09 PM
don't worry about your male counterparts... do your job and do it well with pride....

hrscowboy
11-05-04, 10:30 PM
Military Police would be a great MOS

yellowwing
11-05-04, 10:31 PM
On the USMC.com website there is a form where you can request specific information and recieve current data, Here (http://www.marines.com/request/content_request.asp?formSection=officer&benefit=&page=&qa=)

eicyak
11-15-04, 12:33 AM
Don't worry about what the guys say, stay strong. I'm considering this field myself. I've joined, but don't have an MOS yet, and never been through the process, so I can't tell you much. Don't let what the guys say get to you. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

drillinstructor
11-24-04, 05:09 PM
kill kill kill em all please come to me!!!!!!!!!!!

ubermetroid
11-25-04, 07:58 PM
The PLC is a great program. I did PLC jrs and learned alot. There was a girls platoon there also and oh man were they working hard. Us guys had it easy, but with only 30 girls they had fire watch almost every other day, they went through all the leadership jobs and everything.

I really do respect them though, they worked hard to graduate.

hrscowboy
11-25-04, 08:27 PM
hahahaha what did i say in my first comment no road graders or bulldozers but hell yeah fire watch that says alot ......

drillinstructor
11-26-04, 05:33 PM
SO HOW DO YOU HOLD YOUR PEN?

snipowsky
11-26-04, 06:46 PM
The Marines don't allow females in the Combat Engineer MOS. Just like they don't allow females in the Infantry.

THANK GOD!

If you want to "sight see" while in the military, not give your job 110% effort and do that co-ed thing, the US Army is looking for an Army of One! I'm sure they'd be glad to talk to you.

ubermetroid
11-26-04, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
hahahaha what did i say in my first comment no road graders or bulldozers but hell yeah fire watch that says alot ......

They worked much harder then the guys to finish.

That being said we did get the weekends off.

hrscowboy
11-26-04, 09:32 PM
weekends off what is that crap? Maybe in the new Marine Corps but it wasnt like that in the Old Corps..

cajunguy
11-26-04, 10:17 PM
Weekends off? WEEKENDS OFF?? WEEKENDS OFF??

Surely you jest !!

That does remind me of an incident back when I was finishing my tour and was assigned to a Reserve unit.

The unit spent a weekend at a nearby Army base to use their ranges for firearms qualification. (This was in the late 60's.)

We were utilizing unused barracks that were located in a recruit training area for the weekend.

While on a short break, we were approached by a group of obviously fresh Army recruits who struck up a conversation with us. (Oh yeh, try THAT at either MCRD while you are a recruit.)

Being polite, we were asking them what they thought of basic training so far, and all they could do was whine and b*tch about not being able to go into town for the weekend.

Asking how long they had been there, they advised they were in their THIRD week of basic. THREE WHOLE WEEKS OF ARMY BASIC, AND THEY WERE BELLYACHING BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T GET A WEEKEND PASS.

Well after we wiped the tears of laughter from our faces, we proceeded to launch into them about having to spend THIRTEEN weeks at MCRD (either one) without seeing one civilian face, let alone getting a weekend "pass".

After a few "Awwww, poooor babies", we had to get back to work, but we laughed about that one the rest of the trip.

They had it soooo tough. Yeh!!

Guess that's one reason we are the MARINES, and they are - well - the Army. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/cajunguy/teehee.gif

ubermetroid
11-26-04, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by cajunguy
Weekends off? WEEKENDS OFF?? WEEKENDS OFF??

Surely you jest !!

I jest not! This Candidate was able to explore Quantico, engage in conversation with some retired majors and use a local cafe's internet to check stocks.

Of course I spent the rest of my free time studding my knowledge.

hrscowboy
11-27-04, 12:09 AM
holy craps what has the Corps come too..

ubermetroid
11-27-04, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
holy craps what has the Corps come too..

That is why the Enlisted side is more important then the Officer side. The Gunnys really run everything. :D

enviro
11-28-04, 03:55 AM
The Corps has come to be the best damn fighting force in the history of warfare.

Today's Marines are smarter, faster, and deadlier than ever before. Tomorrow's Marines will be even better.

That's the uniqueness of the Marine Corps. We only get better. We as an older breed of Marines have ensured that this will forever be the case. We have led, we have forged, we have succeeded, and we have fallen ~ our young Marines will learn from those who have gone before them, and then do it better.

http://history.sandiego.edu/cdr2/corps/pics/u00022.jpg

Stagnant: not growing or changing; without force or vitality.

On a humorous note: In digging through all of my old publications, I find that the complaints of Marines today are the exact same as Marines of yesterday.

Today's Marines gripe about the Gangbangers joining the Corps.

How many of you were around complaining when the Beatnicks were joining the Corps?

snipowsky
11-28-04, 05:16 AM
Weekends off? WTF is he talking about?

Not Parris Island, that's for DAMN sure!