PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here about this?

Patrick8605
10-13-04, 10:59 AM
This doesn't have anything to do with the Marines but it caught my attention. Just wondering what you all think about this. <br />
<br />
<br />
Supreme Court Debates Constitutionality of Juvenile Executions <br />

HardJedi
10-13-04, 12:55 PM
tell ya what I think
Not ONLY should the death penalty include those age groups, it should be expanded to include a whole HELL of a lot more crimes.

LivinSoFree
10-13-04, 01:16 PM
This is a sticky issue. While I happen to agree with what HardJedi says, I think that if we are going to impose, once and for all, an ADULT standard of responsibility on these individuals, then we need to be even across the board with it. There also remains the issue of the effectiveness of the death penalty in a judicial system that has come under increasing fire in the last few years for not being exhaustive enough when it comes to determining guilt or innocence. Personally, I'd rather put a temporary stop to executions PERIOD, and just throw the guilty individuals in prison for the rest of their lives, until we can make ABSOLUTELY SURE that when we end someone's life through due process, that we're executing the right person. Given that, then I have no problems with the death penaltyl

Patrick8605
10-13-04, 02:14 PM
I think the prison systems suck! Prisoners get T.V. with cable, thousands of dollars worth of gym equipment, and they don't do anything but sit in their cells. (if they so choose)

I think punishments should be a hell of a lot more harsh. Take away the T.V. and gym equipment and put the prisoners to work. Make them do the ditch digging, some road construction or something. They should work average 12 to 14 hour days. Three meals a day is reasonable but they should only get 45 minutes for lunch.

If the judicial system started this I believe some positive outcomes would arrise: 1)Crime would go down because people would realize that if they screw up they wont get a free ride. 2) If they do their time and decide to get a job to better themselves on the outside, they would have experiance in the workforce.

CAR
10-14-04, 12:49 AM
I believe if the crime fits the criteria for the death penalty then age shouldn't be an issue. A 17 yr old is very well aware of right and wrong and playing the "kid" card is crap. MAny "kids" count on the fact they are just kids so the system will go easy on them. Too bad ,so sad. As for the death penalty system itself, boy that has a lot that can be fixed. It's rediculous that it takes 10 plus years and millions of dollars to do what a 80 cent bullet can do in .0125 seconds. I believe if the evidence is overwhelming and there is dna evidence then , SEE YA!

HardJedi
10-14-04, 10:32 PM
hell, give me 50,000 a year, free air fare, and an unlimited suppy of bullets, and I'll clean up the prison system in NO time.

KIDS AND ALL!

cause when you choose to commit murder, you are NO LONGER A KID! Period.

tophor
10-14-04, 10:45 PM
I agree with jedi, they should be executed, 16 and older know what they are doing and should be accountable for their actions.

Sgted
10-14-04, 10:56 PM
Hell.
We've created a world where kids are no longer kids anymore.
They are alot smarter, cunning, street wise and a great number of "kids" embrace a life filled with violence.
From the games they play to the TV programs and movies they watch.
I know I grew up in a much different world.
Kids today would have me believe that my world as a kid was not the real world (you know, Ozzie & Harriet, Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best).
The most violence I ever viewed in the movies or on TV was the likes of Hitchcock or Gunsmoke.

At a very, very early age I knew taking someones life was just wrong. This mindset was the result of plain common sense and good upbringing.

I believe in the death penalty should apply to juveniles who commit these acts of violence.