PDA

View Full Version : Family's influence led new Marine over obstacles

thedrifter
10-13-04, 06:38 AM
Family's influence led new Marine over obstacles
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 200410811322
Story by Cpl. Shawn M. Toussaint

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (October 8, 2004) -- Being the son of a retired Marine master sergeant can affect a young man's feelings about serving his country.

Since early childhood, Pfc. Andre A. Villanueva, Platoon 3008, Company I, learned the value of serving his country from his father Augustine Villanueva, who served in the Marine Corps from 1973 to 1989.

"I am extremely proud of (Andre)," said Augustine. "I told him that if he became a Marine I could die happy."

Service in the Corps has become a family tradition for the Villanueva family, said Augustine. One of Andre's older brothers also followed in his father's footsteps and joined the Corps.

"I was pleased when he told me he wanted to continue with the family tradition," said Augustine Villanueva.

Augustine, a Vietnam War era veteran, knew what the implications of his son joining the Marine Corps during a time of war would bring.

"I do not wish it on any parent to have to bury their own child, but to have a child willing to sacrifice everything to serve his country is something that makes me very proud," said Augustine. " I know he has the leadership abilities to do what he has to do if called upon."

With the support of his father, Villanueva set out on his mission to become a Marine, but he would need to overcome a demanding challenge. The challenge was his weight. Weighing 270 pounds may have helped him as an offensive lineman at Moreno Valley High School in Southern California, but it did not help him earn the title Marine.

"My father told me what I needed to do in order to be eligible to even go to boot camp," said Villanueva. "I was determined to lose the weight. For a month, I ate only two cans of tuna and drank two gallons of water a day."

Villanueva's extreme diet worked. He was down to 237 pounds by the time he arrived here. With more than 15 pounds left to lose according to Marine Corps weight standards, Villanueva was tagged a "diet recruit" when he checked in to recruit training. Villanueva did not let his weight interfere with his ability to quickly emerge as a leader in his platoon, according to his senior drill instructor Sgt. Steven Thompson.

"He told me I was the most motivated recruit in the platoon and he was possibly going to make me the guide," said Villanueva.

Usually, the platoon guide is the strongest, fastest and loudest recruit in the platoon, making the overweight Villanueva an unusual choice.

"I knew that I would have to prove myself day in and day out to prove I was worthy of the job," said Villanueva. "I earned the respect of my platoon by putting their needs above my own. I thank the drill instructors for teaching me to lead by example ... they are phenomenal leaders."

At today's graduation, Villanueva stands as a proud 195-pound Marine.

His sustained determination and leadership abilities earned him the title Marine, and he was named honor man for his series.

Along with his dad's influence, Villanueva credits other former military men for his success. While working as a food server at a retired officers resort community in Riverside, Calif., Villanueva received mentorship from veterans and leaders from decades past.

"I listened to many war stories, but the thing that stood out the most was their unwavering patriotism and love of their country," said Villanueva. "Their stories echoed my father's passion for the Corps and country. My only hope (is) to honor my family, my country and those who served before me in a way that only a Marine can."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200410811620/$file/09recruit01_lr.jpg

Pfc. Andre A. Villanueva, Platoon 3008, Company I, lost 75 pounds in his quest to become a Marine. Photo by: Sgt. Len Langston

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/93245DE236D4394D85256F270052B4D9?opendocument

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie