PDA

View Full Version : Sailor recognized for dedication to safety

thedrifter
10-13-04, 06:28 AM
Sailor recognized for dedication to safety
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200410123411
Story by Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan — (Sept. 28, 2004 ) -- Even though Marines often find themselves in harm’s way, many act as if they’re invincible. Invincible they are not, and that’s why an aeromedical safety corpsman here has spent his career educating Marines in order to keep them safe.

Petty Officer 1st Class Sean P. Ryall, who trains Marines and sailors at the Marine Aircraft Group-36’s Night Imaging and Threat Evaluation Lab here, received the 2003 George William “Doc” Piercy Award in front of his peers Sept. 28.

For his outstanding work, Ryall, a fleet air introduction liaison of survival aircrew flight equipment for MAG-36, flew to Washington to be recognized by the Capitol Marine Detachment of the Marine Corps League Sept. 15.

The Doc Piercy Award is given to a Navy corpsman or dental technician in a ground, logistics or aviation element of an operational Marine unit who has made a significant contribution to increased combat readiness within the organization.

“I actually received the award in Washington, D.C., but having it presented by (1st Marine Aircraft Wing Commanding General Brig. Gen. Duane D. Thiessen) in front of the Marines and sailors I work alongside every day meant more to me than the ceremony back in the United States.”

Ryall has aggressively assumed many different roles since he began his naval career in 1990.
“On my way over here I was reading (Ryall’s) award nomination and said to myself, ‘Why did it take this long for a man to be recognized for his exceptional work,’” Thiessen said. “The list of medical and safety programs he has trained the Marines and sailors of III Marine Expeditionary Force in is staggering.”

Ryall has earned eight different Navy enlisted classifications: field medical corpsman, aviation medicine technician, radiological safety officer, naval aviation water survival instructor, technical laser safety officer, night vision goggle instructor and aviation physiology technician.

“I feel that if the government is willing to let me receive training, then I’ll jump at the opportunity,” Ryall said. “I cannot just sit around doing one thing. I need to move on and learn something else to have more knowledge to pass on (to others).”

Ryall’s many professional achievements, including being the only enlisted servicemember in III MEF qualified to teach the aviation safety officer course, has allowed him to instruct thousands of Marines and sailors in an array of aeromedical safety training, including physiological and psychological effects of flight on air crews.

“Eighty percent of aircraft mishaps have human factor causes, and fatigue is commonly cited as the human factor,” Ryall explained. “Marines are finely tuned instruments. If they are not taken care of, then accidents do and will happen.”

Safety is especially important to Marines aboard aircraft where the difference between normal flight and a crash can be seconds, according to Ryall.

“The danger posed by fatigue is especially important to flight crews. They’re not like infantrymen, who say they only need chow, a rifle and a foxhole,” Ryall stated. “There is no room for the loss of situational awareness while airborne.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004101234226/$file/Release0490-2004-01low.jpg

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan — Petty Officer 1st Class Sean P. Ryall adjusts a simulated attack helicopter on the night vision training board at the Night Imaging and Threat Evaluation Lab here March 26. The training board assists crews in learning how to properly use night vision goggles. Ryall is an aeromedical safety corpsman with Marine Aircraft Group-36. Photo by: Cpl. Thomas A. Sloan

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3CCC0E8E4FF9378B85256F2B002A3529?opendocument

Ellie