PDA

View Full Version : High seas a venue for escaping desert

thedrifter
10-10-04, 06:30 AM
High seas a venue for escaping desert
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification #: 2004108112141
Story by Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (Oct. 7, 2004) -- The cool, salty air of the open seas is a stark contrast to desert heat - which has characterized the last seven months or more for war veterans returning from Operation Iraqi Freedom. Local deep-sea fishing outlets are offering service members the opportunity to forget the swirling sand and oppressive heat while basking in the glory of a day - or more - on a boat.

With numerous locations and gear to choose from, not to mention countless species of fish in the sea, an inexperienced angler could drown in the confusing ins and outs of taking up sportfishing as a hobby.

Despite the bewilderment newcomers may feel, experienced fisherman say it isn't hard to understand - and several tips should get landlubbers their sea legs in no time.

Choosing the broker of your first high-seas adventure should be easy. A quick survey of several vendors reveals that most in San Diego County offer comparable deals - so why not go with one close to home?

Half- and 3/4-day journeys are recommended for those just testing the waters to see if fishing is right for them, said Eric Taylor, 22, an employee at a San Diego-based fishing company. However, as people gain experience, they may want to try a longer trek.

"As you get more experience and find out you like it, start going on for more than a day," he said.

Journeys lasting a day or more usually wind up in Mexican waters, where warmer temperatures draw bigger fish, like albacore tuna weighing in at more than 150 pounds, said Mark Larson, 36, an angler with more than 20 years of experience fishing nearby waters.

The shorter trips yield sea bass, barracuda, yellowtail, rockfish, skipjack and bonito.

Deckhands are on call to make the trip easier for inexperienced anglers by showing them how to cast and hook bait. Salty regulars usually have some knowledge to pass on as well.

"I like getting new people into it who haven't fished very much," said Josh Robertson, 23, a deckhand with an Oceanside fishing company.

For some, though, the trips aren't about catching the trophy-winning fish, but catching up with family.

A half-day fishing trip marked the first time Sgt. Ryan Chilson spent time alone bonding with his 3-year-old son, Dominick, since the youngster was born.

Back-to-back deployments in support of OIF have forced the 1st Force Service Support Group computer programmer to miss more than one-third of his son's life - and three-quarters of his 11-month-old daughter, Cora's.

"With both my children, I'm doing more developing of bonds rather than renewing them," said Chilson, 26. "I've missed so much of their development. There is so much that you miss out on when you're away from them. Reintroducing yourself into their lives is sometimes hard."

Activities like fishing ease that readjustment, he said.

"I haven't had the horrible experiences I've heard of some parents having, but there have been some rough times when they don't want to be with you because they just don't know you as well," he said.

"I had a great time because my son had a great time. I also learned that a 15-inch bonito is known as 'the most hugest shark ever.'"

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004108112616/$file/finishtn.jpg

Helgren's Sportfishing's "Sea Trek" returns after a half-day of fishing. Fishing businesses like Helgren's dot the coast of San Diego County, offering would-be fishermen the opportunity to cast a line into nearby waters. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200410811329/$file/cuttingtn.jpg

Josh Robertson, 23, a deckhand with Helgren's Sportfishing in Oceanside, cleans a customer's fish while Sgt. Ryan Chilson and his 3-year-old son, Dominick, look on. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200410811361/$file/mouthtn.jpg

A deckhand helps a customer remove a hook from a Bonito on a Helgren's Sportfishing boat. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Samuel Bard Valliere

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E23B0E66DD4365D985256F270054621A?opendocument

Ellie