PDA

View Full Version : Advice

Dudley
10-05-02, 07:54 PM
To those that I hope to call brother some day.
I have a family Problem.
I have been trying to tell my Family that I have made a choice to join the corps. They in response have responded with anomisity tword my decision, and also hatred tword it as well.
I am 18 Yrs. Old, and I am a highschool student, getting ready to graduate in June.
The main reason for the hatred is that my brother went to thee airforce acadamy and became one of the horror stories.
now my entire family hates they idea of the military.
The one chance that I have is the coast guard, for that is the one service that they seem alright with, but I don't know about you guys, but if I am going to go all of the way, I want to go Hard.
I need help braking the news of my decision, for the last few times that I have talked to them about it have caused major hell to be raised in my house, and also just someone to talk to that understands my position.
I plan on signing the papers to join Early Entry soon, but I am probobly out of respect going to go down and talk to the coast guard recruiter first. But all of the other services (Except for the Marine Corps) have not really told me what I want to hear, and I dobt that the Coast Guard will.
Give me some help and advice, Future Brothers.
Semper Fidelis
Dudley

USMC0311
10-05-02, 08:49 PM
The Corps ain't as much Hard as it is Serious..when You get Serious You will be able to make your own decision!!

Dudley
10-05-02, 08:57 PM
Yo,USMC0311
I have made the decision, Dont worry about that, and I am D@#n Serious too.
I just want some advice on how to brake it to my parents and family so that they dont feel the need to call me every name in the book.
I Have made a dicision, and dont worry, I am about as serious as a smoking gun.

;) have a nice day

USMC0311
10-05-02, 09:09 PM
I'm not worried Dudley..sounds like you are.
when I went In I was 17. The old man had to sign the paperwork for me (authorize my enlistment, cuz I was a minor) There was no problem then Because America was Full of Patriots (1965) so I had no problem..all in all, When I was 18 I would have dun it My Way. cuz I would have been of age..The Commander and Chief made a statement in late 1964 "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your Country" Vietnam was the game and I was a willing player.

I really ain't the person to give advise...I really don't giva **** bout much O nuthin sept FREEDOM and WHATEVER it takes to keep it. It is possible that other Marines Might give you sensible advice, but U will be 18 its your family, its your decision.

P.S. all the names they call ya won't make a difference once you are a MARINE...that is a name You will be proud to be called. no matter whatever names come before or after

Barndog
10-06-02, 06:29 AM
Ya know Dudley.......

My drunken-assed step father had nothing worth 2 pinches of shvt to say about the Marine Corps. Of course coming from a pansy-ass that only made it to the National Guards, that now makes perfect sense to ME.

My Father did 3 tours in Korea - as a Marine. I lost 2 Uncles in Vietnam, both Marines.

"I" did what my heart told me to do. In a man's life - he has few opportunities to show his own true colors. I say, if you parents are resorting to name calling, then they have the problem, not you.

I say, stick by your guns, stick by your decision, tell them you love them regardless, and you are on your way to becoming your own man now, Mom and Dad........
Thanks for everything.

The Marines take over from here.

Then...... lets see what ya got, if and when you make it.
( Go check poolee hancock's post, and what I wrote there if you want some MOTIVATION) It's all in how bad you want it.

Go see for yourself how badly I wanted it..... and GOT IT.
OOOOHHHHH RAHHHHHH
Barndog

Sparrowhawk
10-06-02, 07:41 AM
If you are having second thoughts about joining the Corps, it’s probably not for you at this time in life.

You can always join the Coast Guard Reserve and ask to be stationed in Lake Havazo.

Just whom are you trying to please?

If I read you right, its not the Marine Corps but most military services your parent’s object to.

When it comes to their loved ones joining a military service, the fear of war is there for many Americans to consider. Yet those that died in the World trade Center were not in the military.

The terrorist and death from terrorism is as real at home as it is for those in the military service. In fact the enemy attacks civilians much more than those trained to defend our country.

In the Marine Corps at least you'll learn how to defend yourself and protect your present family as well as any other family you may have in the future.

If they object to military service for other reasons, then that’s a problem you will have to deal with all your life.

Cook

Barrio_rat
10-06-02, 11:35 AM
You want help? Here's some help. YOU are 18. YOU, by law, can make up YOUR own mind and make YOUR own decisions that affect YOUR life. I don't know you or your family nor do I have any real experience in what you are going through. As a person seeing your situation from the outside looking in, here's some advice.

If the military is what you want for your life at this time and the USMC is the choice of military for you, then go with that. There's nothing wrong with the Coast Guard, they do fine work. They often see action that the military services don't, as they protect our shores. They also do drug Interdiction at sea and air-sea rescue. Very hazardous duty. I thought about the Coast Guard because I grew up on the coast and saw them often. I had always been impressed. Back to the Marines. If that's what you want, then do that. Go with what is best for you. It's very tough not to have the backing of your family in a life decision but that's their problem, not yours. You have to decide what is right for you. If the USMC is really what you want, talk with your recruiter. He has handled, I'm sure, parents who didn't want their kids going into the military. He can and will help you. You will then need to, after going through some basics with him, find some MOS' that you'd be interested in. Your first "wish list." If there is no one, other than your recruiter, in your area that can help you with finding out about the various MOS' and options, use the net and come in here for some advice. Ask as many questions as you can, even the dumb ones, we will help you and let you know what each of the MOS' entail.

When I signed up, I was 18. My dad would not sign the papers when I was 17 and wanted me to do at least a semester of college. He would have preferred more. I knew I didn't want that. When I made my decision, he supported me. He also knocked me down a few pegs (being a former Marine himself) when I got a swelled head but that's another story. So I can relate to you in that your family is trying to dissuade you but not to the point of brow beating and name calling.

So, here are your options, as I see ‘em. One, go to your recruiter (as stated above) stand up to your family and let ‘em know it's your decision about your life and they, since they love you, should support you. That they will not change your mind, no matter what they say or do. It sounds like, to me, that you should be prepared for the absolute worst. Stand your ground and do not falter. Again, your recruiter will help you in this. Your second option is passive deceit. Not exactly USMC traits or what we would recommend. I'm not in your situation and this is an option. You can sign the papers and not let ‘em know. When the day comes for you to leave, just go. Write ‘em a letter and let ‘em know you love ‘em and that you're having fun at MCRD San Diego. Personally, I don't care which way you go, I won't judge because I'm not in your shoes. You need to do what is right for you and for your family. Some in here may think I just gave you some bad advice, perhaps I did. I am only trying to help and gave you the options, from what I read in your posts, that would fit the situation. I would hope, and prefer, that you stand up to your family and expect them to back you. Either way, the decision is yours to make.

A little story for you. I work with a man who wanted to go into the Marines. His father, who I am told is a former Marine, did not want him to join and bought him out. His father paid for his college in leu of him joining the Marines. He justifies his decision in that he got a "free ride" in school and has done well for himself. However, he backed down from his father and missed an opportunity to fulfill a dream of his. The title Marine will never be realized by this man and, I believe, he is sorry he didn't make any effort toward that dream.

You are 18 and, by law, an adult - a man. There is a saying that is often used and I'll use it now with you. MAN UP! Do what is right in your heart and mind and you will never be sorry. Go the way of pressure and you will always wonder.

Good luck with your decision, Dudley. I hope you do well. If you're the type of person the Marines are looking for, I'm sure we will be calling you a brother in due time.

Sixguns
10-06-02, 04:03 PM
You are a man.

You can become a Marine with their blessing or without it. What you need to impress on your folks is that you want them to be part of the process and share in your excitement. Notice, I didn't say decision. Their feelings of negativity may be put to rest if they were to sit down and talk with you and your recruiter. Your recruiter can help to show them the aspects of Marine Corps service that make us proud to wear this uniform. Remember, they raised you to make sound, logical decisions. They should feel proud that you have done your homework and wisely chosen a future for yourself.

If they can't accept your choice, remind them that they chose their path/careers in life and you must do the same. Explain that the values and training they have given you will help you to succeed in life, no matter where you go. In the end, however, you must make choices that are right for you. Remember, they aren't going through recruit trainng and serving as Marines, you are. Although it may not have been there first choice, it is yours. As parents they should be supportive in helping you to fullfill your goal.

Sophora
10-06-02, 07:08 PM
I'm a Marine BRaT. Dad served in Korea and 2 tours in Nam. Yet when my daughter came to me at 17 wanting to join the Army guard, as a mother I cringed. I work for a University, I get a tuition waiver, I wanted her to go Uni. She came to me and told me she wanted to go Army Guard, would I sign the papers for her to go at 17. I didn't want to, I wanted her to go to the Uni...it's what I sacrficed for her to have the chance. Yet she talked to me, showed me her conviction. I signed the papers to let her join. Her unit was put on elert for Desert Storm...I knew she would be behind the lines, yet in harms way. I was scared yet proud. I don't know what your folks feel about the military, I'm a BRaT so have a skewed view in favor of Military service.

You have to go with your gut feeling. You are an Adult, you have to now choose your life. If your folks love you they will try to protect you. Marines are a special breed. I know this from seeing my own folks. Mom and dad were both Marines.

You have to choose your life now. You are an adult. Your parents may not approve, but they have to respect you're choice. Be honest with them. Show them your convictions. It is a hard time for parents to think of their children in harms way. They will come to accept your choice. Their love of you will bring out their pride in you when they see you graduate boot. They will pray for you when you deploy.