PDA

View Full Version : Chapter 16 Bennies

LivinSoFree
10-07-04, 09:59 AM
Perhaps I can get a straight answer here...

I'm a 92-Day reservist currently in drill status in Greensboro, NC. I've finished boot, but won't do MOS school or MCT until this coming summer (or activation, whichever's first). My question involves Chapter 16 educational benefits, specifically the SMCR GI Bill. From what I was initially told, I was not eligible to draw these benefits until after I had completed the entire IADT cycle. However, I was later told by my unit's S-1 section that I *was* eligible, but never recieved a NOBE. My question at this point is simply, am I eligible at this point to begin drawing benefits, or do I have to wait until finishing the rest of my IADT? Thanks in advance!

stemperfi
10-07-04, 10:20 AM
The information at va.gov says that you must have completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT). However, it goes on to say that "The Reserve or Guard component makes decisions about eligibility. The VA does not make or reverse decisions concerning eligibility." If your unit s-1/education office says you are eligible, then they have to produce some paperwork that you can file with the VA. If they don't, you have to wait until you complete your IADT.

stemperfi

LivinSoFree
10-07-04, 10:53 AM
Roger that, thanks Master Sergeant.