PDA

View Full Version : New Battalion chooses new color sergeant

thedrifter
10-06-04, 05:48 AM
New Battalion chooses new color sergeant
Submitted by: 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (Anti-Terrorism)
Story Identification #: 200410515402
Story by Lance Cpl. Emanuel K. Melton

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Oct. 1, 2004) -- The Marine Corps’ first, permanent Anti-Terrorism battalion colors were officially displayed for the first time at the 4th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (AT) change of command ceremony outside the II Marine Expeditionary Force headquarters here recently.

“When we unfurled the battalion’s colors for the first time, I just sat there and held it. I realized I was the first Marine to hold the colors for this new battalion,” said Sgt. Ocie L. Lowery, battalion color sergeant and infantry squad leader for A Company, AT Bn., 4th MEB (AT)
“It’s like the feeling you get when you earn the title of Marine. It’s the excitement and relief of accomplishing something great,” said Lowery. “It’s truly an honor to be the first color sergeant for the first and only anti-terrorism unit in the Marine Corps.”

The South River, N.J., native was selected from a group of four sergeants for this position in August.

“If someone was to look at the parade grounds, they would notice the AT battalion doesn’t have any streamers,” said 1st Sgt. George S. Sanchez, A Company first sergeant.

“I think that will change, considering the operational tempo that the battalion has. For the Marines of this unit, these colors will be a direct reflection of what their battalion represents. It’s new, but it's also fresh. We haven’t been worn out by the operational tempo. We have a chance to do things right the first time and we intend on doing that,” said Sanchez.
Sanchez feels confident that Lowery will be able to uphold the battalion’s reputation as the color sergeant.

“The unit chose a very professional Marine to be our color sergeant and to represent our battalion colors,” said Sanchez.

“I always do my job and strive to go beyond that,” said Lowery. “That may be why I was selected for this position.”

When Lowery joined 4th MEB (AT) on July 15, he had to temporarily take on the responsibilities of his superiors until they could finish checking in.

“I was one of the first sergeants to check into this unit. Even during my first week here I was taking the role of acting commanding officer for the AT battalion,” said Lowery. “Over the course of the next month I filled in for almost every billet in my chain of command until they were ready to take over.”

Then came the opportunity to become the battalion’s first color sergeant, and Lowery jumped at the chance to hold the prestigious position.

“In August, I volunteered as a candidate for the color sergeant position along with three other sergeants,” said Lowery. “Up to that point I had never been a color sergeant. I had been a guidon bearer for 6th Marine Regiment and liked it. Many have done that before, but this was an opportunity to be the first. I had to take a chance.”

The main responsibility of the color sergeant is to maintain a color guard fit to perform at a moments notice for any Marine Corps function.

Lowery’s squad first performed at the 4th MEB (AT) change of command and is scheduled to perform in Wilmington, N.C., for the 4th MEB (AT) Marine Corps ball.

“The feeling of being on a color guard is unexplainable,” said Cpl. Jeffery P. Conroy, assistant squad leader for A Co., AT Bn. “In almost every unit event, the color guard is one of the main attractions, especially at the Marine Corps ball. It’s like everyone watches your every move and realizes that these Marines are really squared away.”

The Marines who are part of the color guard also feel that Lowery was the correct choice for the job.

“I feel privileged to be a part of this color guard. When you’re out their performing all eyes are on you,” said Lance Cpl. Bryan J. Ruger, squad-automatic-weapon gunner in A Co., AT Bn. “I wouldn’t want anyone else to be my color sergeant. I mean he’s part of my platoon; he’s like family.”

The next event for the color guard is the AT battalion’s activation ceremony scheduled for Oct. 29 at the 2d Force Service Support Group amphitheater here.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004105154452/$file/color-sergeants_lowres.jpg

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. -- Sgt. Ocie L. Lowery stands at the far right of the color sergeants from units of the 4th Marine Expeditionry Brigade (Anti-Terrorism), holding the new colors of the AT BN at the 4th MEB (AT) change of command ceremony here. Photo by: Cpl. Sharon E. Fox

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/ED7DC057DBF32C7185256F24006C090A?opendocument

Ellie