PDA

View Full Version : "Wall of Fame" now contains another Marine

thedrifter
10-05-04, 07:23 AM
"Wall of Fame" now contains another Marine
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 2004101133931
Story by Gunnery Sgt. John S. Jamison Jr.

NEW YORK (Oct.1, 2004) -- The Hollywood Walk of Fame, with its gold stars lining the boulevard, is the coveted place that performers, whom usually see their names in lights, would like to have them inscribed. That’s on the west coast.

On the east coast, there’s Sardi’s Restaurant in midtown Manhattan. Since the early 1930’s Sardi’s has placed caricatures of legends of television, film and Broadway on their walls. This is the place of “You made it, kid,” in the Big Apple.

Sardis’ newest addition to the hundreds of celebrities is Joe Lisi. “There were two things that I wanted to be in my life,” said the former Marine corporal. “One was a cop and the other was an actor.”

He made his living first as a cop while struggling toward his other goal. Lisi was a police officer from 1968 to 1992. He finished his career as the Commanding Officer of New York Police Department’s 17th precinct.

Soon after joining the NYPD he was looking for a way to contribute more. He wanted to join the Marines Corps. With the permission of his Commanding Officer he went down and signed up. After basic training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, SC, he came back to New York and joined 11th Communications Battalion in Brooklyn and served in the Marine Corps reserve for three years.

During his stint in the reserve, he spent a lot of time on the street as a police officer and it was during these first few years that he began his acting career. Both his police and acting careers have reached pinnacle moments.

As the Commanding Officer for the 17th Precinct in east Midtown Manhattan he led his officers as they purveyed security to the areas from 34th to 59th streets from the East River to Lexington Ave. This area includes the United Nations.

As an actor, he has worked in over 30 movies performing shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of Ben Gazarra (Summer of Sam), Melina Kanakaredes (CSI: New York), and Robert Deniro (15 Minutes). He also had a recurring role during the first season of the Sopranos.

Lisi co-starred in the Broadway hit “Take Me Out” as “Skipper,” the manager of a of a baseball team. The production won Best Play at the 2003 Tony Awards. His current role is that of Lieutenant Swersky on NBC’s Third Watch.

“He is a great role model as a Marine, a police officer and actor,” said Alexander Kitsakos, a Reserve Marine Gunnery Sgt. and NYPD officer. “I trust him infinitesimally. He has always given me good advice; not only my professional life but life in general.”

“Although he’s not that much older than me, he has been a great father figure who I really appreciate knowing is there,” added Kitsakos. “Every time I see him on Third Watch it’s no different than his real personality; level headed, analytical and always willing to help.”

Lisi pays back to the Marines any way he can. Especially when speaking of how the Corps has helped him.

“The only time I spent on active duty was the time required for a reservist,” he said. “Still, I firmly believe that becoming a Marine was the defining experience of my life.

Any success I have achieved, I feel I owe in no small measure to the values and principles I learned in the Corps.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004101135314/$file/lisi2low.jpg

Max Klimavicius, the general manager of Sardi's Restaurant presents the newest addition to their Wall of Fame. Joe Lisi, a former Marine, is the recipient. This honor is equaled only by getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. John S. Jamison Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/9C0F21135F0C966485256F2000610074?opendocument

Ellie

Sgt. Smitty
10-26-04, 11:29 AM
He was a reservist........big friggin deal!!