PDA

View Full Version : Corps helps further musical ambition

thedrifter
10-03-04, 07:29 AM
Corps helps further musical ambition
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification #: 2004928204945
Story by Sgt. Jereme Edwards

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii (09/24/2004) -- As many know a Marine is a 24 hour-a-day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, job and is often no easy feat enduring early morning physical training sessions, late evenings and even working well into their weekends, in order to support the Corps' mission.

However, even with busy days some still find time to pursue hobbies and other off-duty interests. This holds true for 26-year-old Lance Cpl. Antonio Cornelius, supply clerk with the Consumable Management Division at Marine Aircraft Group 24.

By day, he works in the supply shop issuing and receiving parts for all the aircraft squadrons here; however by night, he works at his first love and dreams of making it big in the entertainment industry as a musician.

"I've been doing music since I was about 12 years old," explained Cornelius. "I started out basically just rapping over instrumentals I got from friends, and competing in schoolyard free-style battles. I had to take a break from music for a while due to unexpected life situations and tight times financially.

"I really got back into music in 2002, while I was stationed with [Marine Aircraft Logistics Squadron-36] at Marine Corps Air Station Futenma, Okinawa Japan. I hooked up with another Marine out there named Sgt. Timothy E. Edwards III a.k.a. Eddie Kane, another aspiring musician. We opened the shows for a lot of the talent that came to Japan like Destiny's Child, Joe, Musiq Soulchild, and K-Ci & JoJo just to name a few."

After arriving on island February 2003, he was able to make contacts via a family member already stationed here.

"We were able to start making things happen," said Cornelius. "Since I got here we opened the show for Young Bloods, as well as performing during Sunset on the Beach in Waikiki, and Sunset in Pearl Harbor when the guys from [Rim of the Pacific] returned, and various other night spots here."

Doing the performances in Japan and here in Hawaii opened the door for Cornelius to make a lot of contacts both civilian and military.

"There are quite a few of us [musicians]," he said. "I have friends in each of the services that have all brought in necessary talents required in order to put an album together, and we started our own record company entitled World Wide Records, which I'm the CEO [Corporate Executive Officer]. The company name seemed to fit because our members are stationed all over the world."

All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.

"We are set to release our first album in the middle of November. I wrote most of my album when I was going through hard times; it took me about 45 days and then another month to record it. The title of the album is New Beginning. I chose this title because it's a description of the negativity in my life from birth, until the day I finished writing my album. From that day 46 until present it is about how I turned my life in a positive direction," said Cornelius.

Cornelius said the challenge of being a Marine and a musician is an extremely tough one, but great leadership made it a lot easier.

"I have some really good [noncommissioned officers] and Staff NCOs that were fully aware of what I was trying to accomplish. We have a tough job, but they did the best they could to accommodate and work with me to help me achieve my goals," said Cornelius. "I really appreciate everything that they have done for me and all the help they provided."

For more information on World Wide Records or any of its members, go to www.worldwiderecordz.com.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004928205429/$file/LCPLCorneliuslow.jpg

With a new CD on its way out, Lance Cpl. Antonio Cornelius, a.k.a. Tone G, supply clerk with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 24 during the day and rapper in his off hours, is beginning to realize his life-long dream of being a full-time musician. Photo by: Sgt. Jereme L. Edwards

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200492821441/$file/albumcoverlow.jpg

Front cover of Lance Cpl. Antonio Cornelius, a.k.a. Tone G, new album which will be released in mid-November through Worldwide Records. Photo by: Courtesy of Worlwide Records

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/558A81F517DC0F9885256F1E00048E0A?opendocument

Ellie