View Full Version : Laugh it up…Sinbad takes Oki by storm

thedrifter
10-03-04, 07:11 AM
Laugh it up…
Sinbad takes Oki by storm

Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200492823954
Story by Cpl. Trevor M. Carlee

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan — (Sept. 25, 2004) -- "Man, you guys aren't even scared of typhoons. You're just looking for a day off!"

Although a storm was indeed on the horizon, it was already a day off — a Saturday — when David Adkins, aka Sinbad, delivered this joke during his comedy routine at The Palms club here for more than 700 servicemembers and their families Sept. 25.

After two months of preparation, the staff at The Palms put together a production with Sinbad as the main comedian, according to Tamara Hayot-King, entertainment coordinator, Marine Corps Community Services. She said the show would not be cancelled unless Typhoon Meari itself shut everything down

Sinbad delivered off-the-cuff jokes about the typhoon situation, relationships, complaints women had about their spouses, kids growing up and the military lifestyle.

The Benton Harbor, Mich., native spent time in the Air Force and related his experience to that of a Marine.

“Man, Marines are ready to go and will do anything you tell them,” Sinbad said. “Not in the Air Force … you see, I don’t take orders very well. You tell me to do something, and I’m like, ‘No, I’m not really feeling that right now.’”

Sinbad, now 47, said that while it’s important to perform for military audiences worldwide, he still treats them like any other audience because they are “normal people.”

“It’s important, especially in remote places like Okinawa, to perform for the military because they want to feel like they are back in the (United States),” Sinbad said. “But I
still address the same issues I would with a regular audience – shopping, dating, kids – you know, basic stuff.”

Corporal Chris D. Connelly said he grew up watching Sinbad, and he couldn’t wait to see him live.

“When he made fun of how lieutenants are only in the Marine Corps to salute and nothing else, I was in stitches,” said Connelly, a cryptology technician with Headquarters Battalion, Communications Company, 3rd Marine Division. “I’m glad I came out to watch.”

Connelly, a native of Hartford, Conn., added that he has seen comedy shows before, but they were all amateur and were nothing compared to Sinbad’s performance.

“We had to try and fit as many people as we could into (The Palms) and still offer the tickets at an affordable price,” Hayot-King said. “Of all things, I hope the audience had a great time, forgot about all their troubles and felt like they were back home.”

Sinbad also performed before a group of more than 500 servicemembers and their families at the Camp Kinser Surfside club Sept. 26.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200492824312/$file/Release0475-2004-04low.jpg

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan — Sinbad performs his comedy routine during a show at The Palms club here Sept. 25. More than 700 servicemembers and their families came to see Sinbad perform, and more than 500 attended the Camp Kinser Surfside club Sept. 26 to see Sinbad’s routine there. Photo by: Cpl. Trevor M. Carlee

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/87A3E0E9EB65AF9C85256F1D00249CBE?opendocument

Ellie