PDA

View Full Version : Destroying The National Guard

thedrifter
10-01-04, 06:36 AM
09-27-2004

Guest Column: Destroying The National Guard

By William S. Lind

The unit knew it would soon be shipped to the front. Some soldiers responded by deserting. Others got drunk and fought. In response, officers locked the unit in its barracks, allowing the troops out only to drill, not even to smoke a cigarette, until it could be put on the transport that would take it into combat.

It sounds as if I am describing some third echelon Soviet infantry regiment in, say, 1942. In fact, I am talking about the 1st Battalion of the 178th Field Artillery Regiment, South Carolina Army National Guard, in September 2004. According to a front-page story in the September 19 edition of The Washington Post, the unit was disintegrating even before it was deployed to Iraq. One shudders to think what will happen once it gets there and finds itself under daily attack from skilled enemies it cannot identify.

One of the likely effects of the disastrous war in Iraq will be the destruction of an old American institution, the National Guard. Desperate for troops as the situation in Iraq deteriorates, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld is using the National Guard in a mission for which it was never intended: carrying on a “war of choice” halfway around the world.

Most Guardsmen enlisted expecting to help their neighbors in natural disasters, or perhaps maintain order locally in the event of rioting. They never signed up for Vietnam II.

Yes, the Guard was mobilized and deployed overseas in both World Wars, but those were true national wars, in which the American people were all involved one way or another. Cabinet wars, as they used to be called, are something altogether different. As Frederick the Great said, cabinet wars must be waged in such a manner that the people do not know they are going on.

But National Guardsmen are the people. To send them into a cabinet war is to misuse them in a way that will destroy them. Even in the American Revolution, militiamen were seldom asked to fight outside their own state. When they were, they usually responded by deserting.

The fault does not lie with the soldiers of the National Guard. Even within their units, they are being horribly misused. One of the Guard’s strengths is unit cohesion: members of a unit come from the same place and usually know each other well, both in the unit, where they serve long-term, and often in the local community as well. In the case of the 1st Battalion, 178th Field Artillery, the Post reports that “to fully man the unit, scores of soldiers were pulled in from different Guard outfits, some voluntarily, some on orders.” Cohesion went out the window.

One soldier in the unit said, “Our moral isn’t high enough for us to be away for 18 months …. I think a lot of guys will break down in Iraq.” That is always what happens when unit cohesion is destroyed, in every army in history.

For many Guardsmen, deployment to Iraq means economic ruin. They have mortgage payments, car payments, credit card debt, all calculated on their civilian salaries. Suddenly, for a year or more, their pay drops to that of a private. The families they leave behind face the loss of everything they have. What militia wouldn’t desert in that situation?

The real scope of the damage of Mr. Rumsfeld’s decision to send the Guard to Iraq – 40 percent of the American troops in Iraq are now reservists or Guardsmen – will probably not be revealed until units return. One of the few already back saw 70 percent of its members leave the Guard immediately.

What the Washington elite that wages cabinet wars does not understand, or care about, is the vital role the National Guard plays on the state and local levels. Once the Guard has been destroyed, who will provide the emergency services that communities need when disaster strikes? One would think that in a so-called “war against terror,” where the danger to the American homeland is readily acknowledged, someone in the nation’s capital would care about the local first line of defense.

The fact of the matter is that Versailles on the Potomac does not care about the rest of the country in any respect, so long as the tax dollars keep coming in. My old friend King Louis XVI might be able to tell Rumsfeld & Co. where that road eventually ends up.

Guest Contributor William S. Lind, a veteran defense policy analyst, is Director of the Center for Cultural Conservatism at the Free Congress Foundation, where this article originally appeared. He can be reached through the foundation’s mailform. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=646&rnd=510.6088692054904

Ellie

hrscowboy
10-01-04, 07:29 AM
This is why i have always said we need a strong military on a full time bases, we have resorted to using men and women that have other lives other than the military..

cknow
10-01-04, 12:17 PM
The true face of the "Weekend Warrior".

God bless them all

hrscowboy
10-01-04, 05:13 PM
I am very grateful for these young men and women that have stepped up to the plate to guard our country. but i still see the need for a stronger full time serviceman and woman..

greensideout
10-01-04, 08:20 PM
I agree hrscowboy, but how are we going to have the "stronger full time serviceman and woman"?

Is it time to forget the idea of an all voluntarily force and return to the draft?

A cold war draft was just a way of life back when but then came Vietnam and it was no longer accepted by the general public.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that young men and women are not lineing up in mass to help our troops.

hrscowboy
10-01-04, 08:38 PM
I know this is going to sound stupid but i for one have seen these young men and women getting themselves in trouble because they have too much time on there hands. Alot of these young people arent even considering going to college anymore, 1 because its got so expensive to go to a good college anymore, 2. because its been proven that we have people with college degrees flipping hamburgers at Mc donalds because there arent that many jobs out there anymore. I as a young man seen judges in the judicial system make young men go into the military or go to prison. The funny thing about it These young men did a complete turn around when the service got done with them and became productive people here in the United States. I myself see nothing wrong with an 18 year old right out of high school being drafted in the military for a period of 2 years and only 2 years no 6 year obligation or 8 year obligation that they have now.. DID IT KILL ME HELL NO! I really think thats a small price to ask our youth to defend our country and our beliefs to be an american. There are alot of countrys that have a mandatory draft for all people in there countrys so why cant we.....

greensideout
10-01-04, 08:59 PM
Got to say, I agree!

The draft worked well then for many reasons and I too believe that it would be of value again.

As the old saying goes---Freedom isn't Free.

I don't think that asking all young people to find a way to presurve our liberties with a few years of duty is wrong.

Most, if not all will be better people for having taken an active role in the strength of America.

hrscowboy
10-01-04, 09:12 PM
Not all americans see it that way tho greensideout most of us are from the old corps and old ways if uncle sam asks you went no questions asked its not that way now..

yellowwing
10-01-04, 09:35 PM
Leadership, leadership, leadership. If those officers and sncos (all lowercase in this instance), had the proper bearing and training, there would be no scandelous stories.

No one can match our Marine Corps' Leadership of Officers, SNCOS, and NCOS!

fulmetaljackass
10-01-04, 09:46 PM
I understand getting uprooted from your daily life SUCKS. Reservists, use the heck out of 'em I say. Guardsmen...well, that's a different story. They're called the NATIONAL guard.

On one hand, Rumsfeld's being a cheap b@st@rd and ruining the military, but on the other hand, the weekend warriors have got to understand that there's more to military life than college benefits.

hrscowboy
10-02-04, 01:32 AM
if i was a betting man i would say when these guardsman do get there EAS they wont reenlist.

Sgt. Smitty
10-06-04, 09:51 AM
This govt. is slowly but surely giving this country away a little at a time.....prime example........using NATION GUARDSMEN to fight a foreign war. I thought Nation Guard meant that they were the line of defense here at home, not half way around the stinkin world. Start the draft again, it was good enough for Vietnam era people and it's good enough for the people now. I had hoped that i would never have to hold my breath and pray for anyone i know to come home from a war again, but that changed when they sent a Nation Guard unit from Oregon to fight in Iraq. Did we move our friggin borders or what?