PDA

View Full Version : The Debates

OLE SARG
09-30-04, 09:15 AM
Well, I can't wait to see how much flip-flopping ole john foreskin kerry does in the debates. I'd just love to see him stumble over his tongue a few times (maybe he'll revert to some of his early 70's speeches).

Seriously, I think the debates might just decide this race. I hate to say that considering kerry's background and I can't believe the American public is that blind to this person's (notice I didn't call him a man or traitor - I'm trying to be nice (it hurts when I talk about this puke) record of do-nothing service (I wanted to say he is really SERVICING the public, if you know what I mean, but I didn't).

Hopefully, Bush won't stumble over his tongue too much. I will say kerry is a better public speaker than Bush but when you've been lying to the public for so many years you get good at it.

Well, enough of my ranting on foreskin kerry.

SEMPER FI:banana:

OLE SARG

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 09:42 AM
Someone point their finger at you as if you area dummy.

I bet Kerry does this to the American public at least 5-6 times.

I understand Bush's biggest worry is deciding what Kerry said, or what position he just took.

I venture to say that "Every" stand Kerry takes tonight, he has taken a different stance on it before.

Why can't they have Regis there to ask Kerry

http://vvakerry.bizland.com/debateans.jpg

thedrifter
09-30-04, 02:37 PM
Bush, Kerry camps build uprivals on eve of first debate

By Stephen Dinan
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

To hear President Bush's supporters, their candidate can only hope not to be blown off the stage in tonight's first presidential debate by an opponent they've spent a year portraying as having the conviction of a wet noodle.
Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry's backers, meanwhile, who in the past have derided the president as a mush-mouthed underachiever, now say Mr. Bush gave a "thrashing" to Al Gore in 2000 and assert their candidate will be lucky to be standing after tonight.

The two men square off at 9 p.m. at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Fla., in what could be the defining moment of the 2004 presidential campaign, with an audience in the tens of millions and blanket coverage in Friday's newspapers.
"This very first debate is the most important debate because it will either make the playing field go back to a level playing field for John Kerry, or it could be headed to a landslide" for Mr. Bush, said Democratic communications strategist Morris Reid.
Tonight's debate focuses on foreign policy — something the Bush campaign fought hard for.
After running essentially even or slightly behind for most of the summer, Mr. Bush has opened up a lead of about four percentage points to six percentage points when the public polls are averaged together.
Republicans said that puts the pressure on Mr. Kerry, while all Mr. Bush has to do is continue to be bold and strong, and keep Mr. Kerry on the defensive.
"In politics, you're either on offense or you're on defense, and if you're on defense, you're probably losing," said former Rep. J.C. Watts Jr., the Oklahoma Republican who is now head of GOPAC.
House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, Texas Republican, said Mr. Bush's steadiness will contrast well with Mr. Kerry.
"You're going to see John Kerry being John Kerry — he's going to talk a lot, he's going to pontificate, he's going to let people know whatever is today's menu is where he's going to take the country," he said.
But House Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer, Maryland Democrat, said Mr. Bush's success comes because he isn't "confused by the facts — he simply makes assertions and sticks to them whether they are factual or correct or not."
And Mike McCurry, an adviser to Mr. Kerry, said the Democrat laid the groundwork for the debate over for the past 10 days, beginning with the senator's speech at New York University on Sept. 20 when Mr. Kerry said knowing what he knows now, the United States should not have gone to war in Iraq.
"He literally shifted the frame of this debate," Mr. McCurry said yesterday.
At this point, the debates themselves are almost lost in build-up and post-debate spin. And that has given rise to campaigns' poor-mouthing of their own candidate and trying to build up their opponent.
"Mark us down for answers 'A' through 12 on what a great debater Bush is," Mr. McCurry joked with reporters.
Steven Keller, debate team director and assistant professor of media and public affairs at George Washington University, said Mr. Bush scored an amazing success in 2000 through tremendously low expectations.
The Associated Press even convened a panel of debate coaches, who scored all three debates a victory for Mr. Gore on the issues — but the public didn't see it that way.
"I think the Democrats felt they were badly out-spun in 2000, so both the pre-debate expectations worked in favor of Bush and the post-debate spin worked in favor of Bush in 2000," Mr. Keller said.
"Both sides are playing that game so much harder this cycle, in the hopes of beating expectations," he said, though he and other observers said the public is wise to the game this time around.
"Most people looking at these debates will be doing so with their eyes wide open, understanding that it's a very competitive campaign and that there are two perhaps very different debating styles in competition," Mr. Keller said.
Mr. Reid said the fact that voters know Mr. Bush this time around means "he can't go up there and do the old 'gosh, shucks.' It's not going to work this time. He's truly going to have to go up there and show he's a president who can lead this country, and at a time of peril."
Tonight's debate will be moderated by PBS news anchor Jim Lehrer. The second presidential debate, to be held in St. Louis on Oct. 8, will be moderated by Charles Gibson of ABC, and CBS' Bob Schieffer will moderate the third debate, in Tempe, Ariz., on Oct. 13. The vice-presidential nominees will square off on Oct. 5 in Cleveland.
Some observers bristle at the notion of designating these forums as debates, saying that without a chance for the candidates to pose questions to each other and with such tightly controlled rules these amount to little more than a series of mini-speeches.
"Do we call these debates? I don't know — they're really just an opportunity to get up there and be programmed and make your point," Mr. Watts said.
Mr Watts said he believes the second and third debates may actually be the more defining ones.
"You see this as three quarters, so we're going to go out and run a couple of plays in the first quarter to see what kind of defense they're running and all that," he said.
The debates are controlled by a 32-page legal agreement between the two campaigns, specifying the topic and rules for each 90-minute debate.
The rules prohibit props and disallow the candidates from asking each other questions or proposing pledges to be agreed to, but the rules also lay out the temperature for the halls — "an appropriate temperature according to industry standards."
Mr. McCurry called the rules a "legalized recitation" of the standards of the debate, but said the public will still get what it wants.
"I think there's plenty of room in there to have the give-and-take I think the country wants to see," Mr. McCurry said.
Mr. DeLay said his biggest worry is that Mr. Kerry might be able to put his own twist on Ronald Reagan's classic line from a 1980 primary debate: "I do think Kerry has the edge a little bit, particularly if President Bush doesn't show up one night and Kerry has the Reagan-esque moment and shouts at the moderator, 'My wife paid for this microphone, Mr. Green.' "

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20040930-122000-8687r.htm

Ellie

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 03:38 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/images/masthead_logo.gif

John Kerry's image makeover has backfired badly. Caroline Overington reports from New York.

There isn't a woman alive who won't sympathise with Democrat John Kerry for doing what he did this week.

Who among us has not done the same thing? That is, made a stupid, stupid decision regarding our appearance right before a Very Important Event.

Senator Kerry, who is trying to win the race for the White House, hit the bottle. The fake tan bottle. Or maybe the sun bed. No one is sure. But whatever, the day before this morning's all important first TV debate with President George Bush, Senator Kerry turned orange.

Not a little bit orange. His face is like a Halloween pumpkin. Or, as the New York Post put it, Senator Kerry, who is from icy Boston, has a tan "even George Hamilton would envy".

Talk-back callers had a good chuckle. America's top-rating comedian, Jay Leno, said Senator Kerry's face (like a city faced with terrorism) was on "orange alert". Matt Drudge, who runs the Drudge Report website, wondered whether he had been campaigning "in the rust belt".

The tan was so obvious that the Kerry camp, which really wants to get back to debating the big issues, such as war, was forced to explain it. They said Senator Kerry got the tan at a football match. The New York Post didn't buy it, nor did anybody else. Dr Ted Daly, of Garden City Dermatology, said: "Wow! That is a tan. From a tanning salon."

The New York Sun said Senator Kerry's "sudden, orangey-bronze glow" was highly unlikely to be the real deal. It quoted Cynthia House, of Enhance Me, who said: "It's an artificial tan. They went a little overboard."

So why did Senator Kerry - or, more likely, his handlers, since it's difficult to imagine the senator slathering the stuff on, not least because it would also leave him with orange palms - do it?

Probably because he has to face an audience of 70 million people this morning (Australian time) and wanted to look his best. He wouldn't be the first. Democrat John F. Kennedy was among the first politicians to use make-up for the TV debates and made Richard Nixon look tired and pale by comparison.

It's also possible that Senator Kerry, like many older men, thought a tan would help him attract the chicks. He needs those chicks. According to Time magazine, he has somehow managed to alienate women voters, who normally back Democrats over Republicans by a wide margin. At this election, women are thinking of voting for Mr Bush at least as often as they are thinking of voting for Senator Kerry.

This is catastrophic for the Democrats, since Mr Bush is 18 points ahead with men. Or, as Susan Carroll, of the Centre for American Women and Politics, put it in The Washington Post: "If Kerry loses among women, he will lose this election. It's as simple as that."

Like everybody, Senator Kerry knows that this morning's debate won't be about issues. It will be about image. Important topics will be treated in a superficial way. But, if he thinks a tan will help him woo women, he is wrong. Surveys show they are concerned about terrorism, and wonder whether he can handle the heat. And they don't mean from sun lamps.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/09/30/1096527862612.html?oneclick=true

hrscowboy
09-30-04, 07:22 PM
let us remember gentleman kerry is a debater where bush lacks in debating.

greensideout
09-30-04, 07:55 PM
Get out the syrup and butter. Fry up the ham.

We are about to get waffles from John Kerry! :D

OLE SARG
09-30-04, 08:40 PM
john foreskin kerry is a MASTER(de)BATOR that's for sure!!!!!!!!!

If, heaven forbid, kerry should be elected, I would consider him a modern-day Custer and our military will be his men. Our downfall will surely begin.

Maybe kerry will drown in a ketchup vat before the election.

OLE SARG

mrbsox
09-30-04, 09:01 PM
Lets' see if I got this straight;

Misleading, I wanna be like RR and JFK
Hardwork, making progress
You did
I did not
You mislead the hardwork
Did not
Did too
Flip Flop
Clip Clop
I can, you haven't
Have too, making progress
Did not
I can, you haven't
You can't if you flip flop

Why doesn't somebody just take their ball and go home !!

I think I'm gonna upchuk.......

HardJedi
09-30-04, 09:37 PM
LOL Mrbsox! that's pretty dang funny. too bad it's also too much like reality.

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 10:10 PM
Kerry was consistant in being inconsistant

hrscowboy
09-30-04, 10:31 PM
Cook according to all the press i am seeing their claiming kerry won this first debate..

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 11:59 PM
As far as debating, goes but clearly lost in substance, and overall, he lost as I saw that the majority of the people were turned off, in just having to concentrate on what he was saying. Two, three times he flip-flopped but was consistent in that.

Bush prepared to debate Kerry, not to be himself before the people, but he came across as having a steadfast hand, and as being strong in leadership determination and a better man to have in the presidency during this time of chaos, which Kerry kept bringing up.

Tonight we didn't see John Kerry, we saw the Extreme Makeover Kerry doing what others told him to do to win, but it was not the John Kerry we have gotten to know and not trust.

From the fake tan to the manicured nails done just before the debate, it was a fake Kerry presented to the world.

But overall, the public I don't think is willing to change horses, with a mule that doesn't know where it wants to go.