PDA

View Full Version : How does the Patrotic Act ruling make you feel?

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 08:20 AM
Marine Mom posted a disturbing news story here today regarding the Patriot Act, a key part which was Ruled Unconstitutional.

Key Part of Patriot Act Ruled Unconstitutional (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=91738#post91738)

The law basically declares that personal security is as important as national security, a judge blocked the government from conducting secret, unchallengeable searches of Internet and telephone records as part of its fight against terrorism.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero struck down a provision of the Patriot Act that authorizes the FBI (news - web sites) to force Internet service providers and phone companies to turn over certain customer records. The companies are then barred from ever disclosing the search took place.

In his ruling, the judge called national security of "paramount value" and said the government "must be empowered to respond promptly and effectively" to threats. But he called personal security equal in importance and "especially prized in our system of justice."

Marrero said his ruling blocks the government from issuing the requests or from enforcing the non-disclosure provision "in this or any other case." But the ruling will not immediately take effect to allow for an appeal.

The judge said the law violates the Fourth Amendment because it bars or deters any judicial challenge to the government searches, and violates the First Amendment because its permanent ban on disclosure is a prior restraint on speech.

He noted that the Supreme Court recently said that a "state of war is not a blank check for the president when it comes to the rights of the nation's citizens."

"Sometimes a right, once extinguished, may be gone for good," Marrero wrote.

The ACLU filed the lawsuit on behalf of an unidentified Internet provider which the judge identified only as "JOhn Doe," in his 120-page ruling. The judge agreed to keep the firm's identity secret to protect the FBI probe that led to the search request.

Jaffer, the ACLU lawyer, said the government had turned over as part of the lawsuit a six-page document showing it had obtained Internet or telephone records dozens and possibly hundreds of times.

<hr>

While I cherish my freedom, and don't really care who reads my emails, or knows which web sites I visit, nothing in them of national importance, except perhaps when I called Teresa Kerry a, a, a _______, well I better not say that anymore because the law doesn't go into effect right away as it will be appealed.

But for some reason this ruling does not make me free safer.

Who did the ACLU file the law suit on behalf?

Who was the service provider that did not want to comply?

That information should be made known but the public is not informed about it, so the very open society the judge rules for, he keeps blinds for the same security reasons..

The government was authorized to pursue communications records as part of a 1986 law. Its powers were enhanced by legislation passed after the passage of the Patriot Act in 2001.

In a footnote to his ruling, Marrero cited words he had written two years ago in another case to warn that courts must apply "particular vigilance to safeguard against excess committed in the name of expediency."

This "excess however is not showed to have been violated."

HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS RULING?

mrbsox
09-30-04, 11:43 AM
If I read all of this right, I support the Judges decision.

I remember something from school, about 'protection from unreasonable search and seizure', or close to that.

Whom determines what is a reasonable, lawfull search ?? Not the FBI, not the Police or Sheriffs dept. The COURT does. The searcher(s) MUST get a warrant, from the court. And then, only AFTER providing realistic need. 'He has an arabic name' or 'he wears a turban' is NOT realistic cause, by itself.

The individuales rights, ARE part of our constitution, and MUST be upheld. We all took an oath 'to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against all enemies, foreign and domestic'.... And we signed a contract to serve. MY contract has expired, past it's date, become fulfilled. The oath I took before witnesses and GOD himself, is still in effect.

If (when) we fail to support the Constitution, and ALL it's rights, what good is National Security ?? The heart of the Nation would already be gone.

SEMPER FIDELIS

hrscowboy
09-30-04, 12:45 PM
why should we give these non americans the same rights that we have? as far as i am concerned they should have no protection what so ever from our courts or laws or our constitution unless they are an american citizen. as far as iam concerned their free game when it seems they are doing something against the law and i dont care how the government gets the goods on them.

al20852
09-30-04, 01:22 PM
Right now and until this issue is finally decided on appeal there is no requirement that a warrant be obtained to conduct a search as long as the government claims it is an issue involving "national security". It is real easy to agree with this if we are talking about scumbags from other countries who represent a threat. But the law applies to all of us., and that makes it a much closer question.

What rights do we (all of us, citizens, veterans, people who have always taken these rights for granted) give up in the interest of protecting ourselves from a threat that we have never faced before?

I have no good solution to this, and maybe this is how we wound up with the Patriot Act, because we must deal with this threat from people who are taking advantage of our free society to try to destroy us.

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by mrbsox

'He has an arabic name' or 'he wears a turban' is NOT realistic cause, by itself...

Humm, let me see, every terrorist has had an "arabic" name and in their worship wear turbans.

I say they should be labled marked, branded and if they are here for what ever reason, closely monitored. If anyone of them is a Citizen enjoying and making full use of our freedom, he/she should be required to renounce their former country and turn in that country's passport.

Today they are allowed to be citizens of two or more country's and they are able to retain two or more passports.

They are duel citizenship citizens, using their American rights to support their native country.

If they have nothing to hide, why should they protest being signaled out for special security concerns when this very process is suppose to protect them and the country they have decided to live in?

Perhaps if they are serious, they would root out those among them that they themselves question. Instead they remaisn silent, and channel funds secretly through their religious institutions that continue to fund terrorism against; Israel, America and other nations they disagree with.

Underleft
09-30-04, 02:03 PM
Kinda sounds like where on the track to giving up what we fought so hard for.

cknow
09-30-04, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by al20852
Right now and until this issue is finally decided on appeal there is no requirement that a warrant be obtained to conduct a search as long as the government claims it is an issue involving "national security". It is real easy to agree with this if we are talking about scumbags from other countries who represent a threat. But the law applies to all of us., and that makes it a much closer question.

What rights do we (all of us, citizens, veterans, people who have always taken these rights for granted) give up in the interest of protecting ourselves from a threat that we have never faced before?

I have no good solution to this, and maybe this is how we wound up with the Patriot Act, because we must deal with this threat from people who are taking advantage of our free society to try to destroy us.

As I understand the Issue :
A warrent is authorized by the attorney general:confused:

USMC-FO
09-30-04, 03:10 PM
I also support the decision. We all want to feel safer and more secure in a dangerous world but I do not support tossing out our basic rights and freedoms in the name of this concept of "security".

The Patriot Act has some good points it also has some very bad points that will hopefully be addressed over time. I for one do not want my government poking into any of my business or correspondence without the proper warrents etc being followed---not that there is anything to see anyway. There are many tenents in this Act that simply, in my mind, go to far against the core values of what this nation stands for in the name of "security". I would not feel more secure and do not feel more secure in giving up my rights to any uncontrolled government agent or program.

S/F

al20852
09-30-04, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by cknow

As I understand the Issue :
A warrent is authorized by the attorney general:confused:

Until the Patriot Act all warrants were issued by judges. Now the Attorney General may authorize a search by issuing a letter. There is no judicial review over this process. They don't even have to tell the person whose home or office was search that they were even there.

Personally, I don't like the idea of the government being able to do this. BUT, I recall that the 20th hijacker had a computer that contained all sorts of inormation about 9/11 and that the FBI could not look at it because they didn't have enough information to get a warrant.

So where I come down on the ACT is that it was passed very quickly after 9/11/ and maybe it needs a little tweaking, not gutting. Eventually we'll get it right, and reach a good balance where we can feel that both our security and our rights are being protected equally.

sgt.lane
09-30-04, 04:39 PM
mrbsox, you refer to the fourth amendment. This judge was correct in his ruling. It needs a good going over.........I think we can find a balance.............................

ivalis
09-30-04, 05:46 PM
Our Senator Feingold had the grapes to vote against the patriot act.

The patriot act is another case of "we have to destroy the village to save it".

This isn't the USA without our constitutional protections. Mullah Ascroft has seemed to forget that. Oops, forgot, he learned his law from the bible.

Sparrowhawk
09-30-04, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ivalis
Mullah Ascroft has seemed to forget that. Oops, forgot, he learned his law from the bible.

al20852, I like what you said, and very well said, humm an attorney couldn't have said it any better. LOL

ivalis IVALIS, ivalis many of the laws we have today came from the Bible!

So, because Ascroft believes the Bible that makes his judgments suspicious?

mrbsox
09-30-04, 07:14 PM
After reading hrscowboy's reply, I noticed a MAJOR omission from my post.

Only a few words, but none the less, an omission.

"The individuales rights, ARE part of our constitution, and MUST be upheld."

It should have read as:

The individuales rights, ARE part of our constitution, and MUST be upheld for our citizens.

I appologize for misleading anybody on my intent, and PERSONAL feelings on protecting OUR CITIZENS rights, and for the impression that an ALIEN's rights are more important than National security. Let us remember;

'...against all enemies, foreign and domestic...'

Terry

al20852
10-01-04, 07:38 AM
Hey Cook, don't laugh too loud. I am an attorney, and was in the Corps many moons ago. Hope that doesn't disqualify me.