PDA

View Full Version : 33rd Annual MCAA Banquet honors Marine aviators

thedrifter
09-28-04, 06:07 AM
33rd Annual MCAA Banquet honors Marine aviators
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification #: 200492418415
Story by Lance Cpl. Skye Jones

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. (Sept. 24, 2004) -- As Gen. Michael W. Hagee spoke at the Marine Corps Aviation Association banquet Sept 18, all fell silent, grasping his every word.

"I would like every Marine aviator, active and reserve to stand up, so we can thank them for what they have done," stated Hagee, the commandant of the Marine Corps, as audience members cheered.

The MCAA banquet was held at the Town and Country Convention Center in San Diego to honor select aviation units and individuals.

"Our aviators help bring a unique capability to the Marine Corps Air Ground Task Force," said the assistant commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. William L. Nyland. "It is important to take the opportunity to recognize Marines for what they do, because they make it all happen."

The banquet commenced at 7:00 p.m., with Col. Earl Wederbrook, commanding officer, Marine Aircraft Group 11, hosting the ceremony.

Wederbrook announced the arrival of Hagee and Gen. John R. Dailey, the national commander of the MCAA.

After the two generals marched to the front of the ballroom, the MAG-11 Color Guard presented the colors to the music of the Marine Band San Diego.

After the posting of the colors, Dailey introduced the distinguished guests, who included Nyland, the sergeant major of the Marine Corps, Sgt. Maj. John L. Estrada and Sen. John Glenn, the first recipient of an MCAA award.

The commandant then proceeded to speak about his thoughts on Marine Corps aviation.

"Marine Corps aviation has done a lot to support our mission by projecting sustained combat power ashore, and nobody does it better than Marines. I thank you for what you do," said Hagee in his speech.

Shortly after Hagee's speech, the awards were presented to units and individuals for their accomplishments in Marine Corps aviation.

"This year, the uncommon devotion to duty, demonstrated by both individual Marines and aviation units made the selection process for 2004 exceptionally difficult," Wederbrook said to the audience. "You will hear citations read which reflect the honor, courage and commitment displayed by the award recipients."
Hagee and Estrada then came up to the stage to hand out the awards.

Units from Miramar recognized for squadron of the year awards included Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 161, Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 465, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 11, and Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352.

Miramar Marines receiving awards, which ranged from the Marine Enlisted Aircrewman of the Year to the Marine Aviation Command and Control Officer of the Year, included Maj. Lorna M. Mahlock, Maj. Charles B. Dockery, Gysgt. Marvin M. Magcale, and Staff Sgt. Wade M. Davis.

"It feels great to be recognized, but at the same time I am thinking about all of the people I have worked with who made all of this possible," said Magcale, airframes divisions chief, HMH-465, and individual award recipient. "This was my first MCAA banquet, and I hope I can go to the next one. The MCAA is a great organization that increases motivation throughout the Marine Corps."

Although only a few awards were handed out at the banquet, Nyland felt that all Marines like Magcale deserved to be recognized for their efforts in Marine Corps aviation.

"Marines like these aviators are magnificent young people," added Nyland, the most senior aviator in the Marine Corps. "We are very blessed to have them all contributing to this great effort."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200492419049/$file/mcaalo.jpg

Awards await presentation at the Marine Corps Aviation Association Banquet Sept. 18. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Skye Jones

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/67D8A9C5DE55167C85256F19007C9CA9?opendocument

Ellie