PDA

View Full Version : A poolee destin to make honor grad

Proudone74
09-27-04, 11:16 PM
Ok, first post on this site. Been readin for a while, and want to get more involved in this site, cuz most of the ppl here seem like good ppl.(afterall, most are marines) My name is Lyndon and I'm a poolee in New York, RSS Batavia. Ive been depped in sense may, and I'm sched. to leave Jan 3rd. Please check my attachment My friend that died as a Poolee, cut 2 days short of shipping out to parris island, because of a car crash Jan 9th 04' as a result of black ice, has been my inspiration to join the Marines along with other happenings in my life. I figured it was the best thing for me, I'm extremely athletic, and wouldnt mind a little guidance and direction in my life. Things the CORPS i know will give to me, and at the same time ill be giving back to my country, because im extremely patriotic. So cutting to the point, I want to know everything i can, that will help give me an edge in bootcamp, because my goal is to be an honor graduate. A goal my friend that passed away set for him self, and i know he would have accomplished. I know a lot of stuff right now, but a quick and simple question I have off hand is this. Like on this site, when they show the rank structure and there are 2 yellow stripes to the side of it, at an angle, what do those stripes represent on the uniform?:qmark:

thedrifter
09-27-04, 11:38 PM
They are called Hashmarks...

One stripe represents 4 years of Service....

The Marines can answer You in more detail.

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

CAR
09-28-04, 03:24 AM
Proudone,
Best of luck to you on your upcoming challenges. Sounds like you have the heart for it and THAT is half the battle. As for Honor Grad, Go for it. I hope you get it. Just know that only one in every platoon graduates in that position but if that is where you set your sights it will drive you to work harder. If nothing else you will still recieve the best prize of all- the title of Marine.

As for the hashmarks they are worn on dress uniforms, Blues or Service (green). Like Ellie said they represent 4 year s of service. The more your have the grumpier you become.

Best of luck again and feel free to ask any questions.

Proudone74
09-28-04, 11:43 AM
haha, thanks a lot, and I know all about the Honor-grad situation. And yes it is a goal of mine, I like to set high standards for my self. But above all, I just cant wait to be a Marine and part of the family. Semper Fi

jinelson
09-28-04, 12:16 PM
Proudone I wish you good luck in the pursuit of your goal to be one of the few. My advice to you is get as ready as you can before January. PT until you think you cannot PT any more then continue on. There is much that you will need to learn about the Corps and alot of it can be found on this site. Things like rank structure and chain of command, Marine Corps History, general orders, riflemans creed, UCMJ can give you a good edge. You picked the best Marine website that there is and the fine Marines here will be very willing to help guide you. As CAR said your heart is in the right direction. Two things that I can help you with now are Marines are very sensitive about non-Marines using the greeting Semper Fi before they have earned the title so you will need to avoid that. Secondly edit your profile you are not a Marine yet you are a poolie and fill in the other info the Corps will expect you to be through in all you do so why not start now. Again the best in your quest.

Jim FMF 67-73

YankeeDoodleAsh
09-28-04, 03:40 PM
Proudone-
You sound a lot like me... a lot before I shipped in. It's great to learn as much knowledge as you can but more importantly be an unselfish recruit. Treat other recruits as you would like to be treated. When you first get there all the recruits will be looking out for themselves only. Be the one to stand out. (Your Drill Instructors will notice) Sometimes I'd go down the line to make sure other recruits had their stuff done before I'd even start on mine. By the time I finished helping other recruits and got back to my spot on line, other recruits had already taken care of me....sometimes. Other times it didn't get done and I'd hear it from the DIs...they knew what I was doing though so they just snapped a bit then backed off. UNSELFISH leadership is the key. Aim higher than just honor grad. Go for Company Honor Grad.

Proudone74
09-28-04, 03:48 PM
oh hey my bad, i thought for sure i didnt put in that i was a marine, i know that im not yet. And thanks for the advice on the Semper Fi greeting, that is totally understandable and the way it should be.

yankee doodle thanks a lot, that helps. what do you have to do to be company honor grad?

jinelson
09-28-04, 04:17 PM
Good job poolie proudone, you got potential.

Jim FMF 67-73

Sparrowhawk
09-28-04, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Proudone74
Re: A poolee destin to make honor grad

"I want to know everything i can, that will help give me an edge in bootcamp, because my goal is to be an honor graduate."

A poolee destin
to make honor grad?

LMAO

If you make it to the yellow footprints, consider yourself lucky.

If your looking for help to give "You" an edge over other Marines, you should join the Army where its the individual that counts, that's why its called an Army of One.

In the Corps anyone looking for an edge over other Marines will be left out in the field to fend for himself.

Proudone74
09-28-04, 07:16 PM
sparrow hawk

I believe youve got the totally wrong idea. Thats not what im about at all. When i become a Marine and even while im training, im the type of person that puts people b4 my self. I'm just setting a goal for my self, thats all, and theres nothing wrong with that. You twist my words in a way where you kinda make me seem like im out for my self only, thats not the way it is. And all I'm doing is asking questions, like the hash marks on the dress uniform question, im asking those so i can obtain knowledge to accomplish the goal i set for my self. And i figure the higher i can place my self among my soon to be brothers, the bigger difference i can make in the over-all scheme of things. I think you've got me wrong... sorry. :-/

Sparrowhawk
09-28-04, 09:12 PM
Your profile state that you are a 19 year old male out of Rochester NY, destin (sic) to make a difference in the world, and plan to (do that?) by joining the Marines

"destin (sic) to make a difference in the world"?

"A poolee destin (sic) to make honor grad"?

You asked for help here to
" give me an edge in bootcamp, because my goal is to be an honor graduate.”

Now, I maybe mistaken here, but I read that to mean; “an edge over other Marines because you want to be an honor graduate.

Because as your profile reads, you “see yourself as making a difference in the world”?

That’s fine and good, but I’ve seen too many “destine for glory Marines in the battlefield where others paid that price for them.

It’s honorable to be an honor graduate. But have you read what that entails?

It all starts with doing “everything” to your best in the Corps, neither for recognition, nor for the honor but because you can and are determined to do your best.

“An honor graduate distinguishes themselves above the rest of their peers in the platoon

Honor graduates usually maintain high statistics in the areas of swim qualification, rifle range, and physical fitness test. Additionally, they possess and exude many of the Marine Corps' intangible qualities; such as leadership, self-discipline, military bearing, and esprit de Corps.”

Its all about doing the best and giving the best, not for the honor but because you can.

A local Marine from where I live became an Honor graduate, because he did the first job he was given in boot camp to the best of his ability. He was given the job as the platoons scribe (you better believe he checked his spelling); he did EVERYTHING TO THE BEST of his ability.

Recruit determined to graduate with honors meets goal (http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/A9DBBD67CA9EA20E85256EC300599387?opendocument)

Proudone74
09-28-04, 09:32 PM
Well thanks for that bit of information but you still have me wrong.

Sparrowhawk
09-28-04, 10:07 PM
You seem to want to do what is best, from your Pm.

I understand.

The best to you come January

Cook

Proudone74
09-28-04, 10:09 PM
Thankyou, and the best to you also Sergent

YankeeDoodleAsh
09-28-04, 10:19 PM
Proudone-
You gotta have a good heart if you want Company Honor Grad. They're not going to make you an honor grad if you just want the recognization out of boot camp. (I'm not saying you're like that)
Make sure your heart is branded with an Eagle, Globe and Anchor and I'm sure you'll do great.

awb5711
09-29-04, 08:16 AM
Proudone

Volunteer for everything you can. Some of the duties will be sh..ty ones but some will be good. Shows that you can take the good with the bad. Most important though is to help out the other recruits. If one recruit is pushing on the deck of the bay all night then help get his gear ready for tomorrow. Just be yourself, work hard and lookout for everyone around you. Dont get discouraged early on either. I will tell you this....as soon as you step on those yellow footprints you will care less about Honor Grad...you'll just be happy to graduate. Good Luck

Proudone74
09-29-04, 05:30 PM
thankyou. yea I can only imagine the feeling of graduation and being able to call my self a marine... I cant wait for that day. But until then, im training as hard as i can to do the best i can while im in there. thanks again...

drillinstructor
09-30-04, 07:57 AM
haha I love to see poolees like this crying for their mommy when they arrive here....anyway good luck and keep a positive attitude

snipowsky
10-04-04, 06:23 PM
Oh boy! Here we go! lol :bandit: :lick: :devious:

SuNmAN
10-20-04, 12:25 AM
Sgt Sparrowhawk! Thanks for posting the article "Recruit determined to graduate with honors meets goal"

I remember reading that article a while before I left for recruit training and now that I read it again I noticed the name of Staff Sergeant Duranleau on it !

PLATOON 1008, SENIOR DRILL INSTRUCTOR STAFF SERGEANT DURANLEAU ! KILL, KILL, KILL EM ALL !

sorry...just found it pretty cool to see my Senior's name in an article.

Ooorah !

Debate_god21
10-24-04, 04:14 PM
Hey Proudone... do you know a Marine named Golojuch?

Proudone74
10-25-04, 04:34 AM
no i dont

Debate_god21
10-26-04, 07:47 AM
okay, cool. she's also from rochester.

SauerPJ
10-26-04, 09:13 AM
dont worry about honor grad worry about graduationg! There are more people than you think that get drooped from boot camp! Also honor gruad is not really that big of a deal because once you get out in the FMF (Fleet Marine Force) you brag to anyone that you were to boot camp honor grad they are just going to look at you and laugh! Just be there to learn and become a Marine!

Proudone74
10-26-04, 03:02 PM
Yea SauerPJ I will, I mean dont get me wrong. Thats not like the biggest thing to me or anything. Im just saying I set high standards for my self. Its part of the reason why I chose to join the Marines. Honor Grad. would just be a little piece of self-satisfaction. But that is no where near as satafying as it will be to be a Marine. I just cant wait! Thankyou!

Debate God21, what part of rochester?

Debate_god21
10-30-04, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Proudone74
Yea SauerPJ I will, I mean dont get me wrong. Thats not like the biggest thing to me or anything. Im just saying I set high standards for my self. Its part of the reason why I chose to join the Marines. Honor Grad. would just be a little piece of self-satisfaction. But that is no where near as satafying as it will be to be a Marine. I just cant wait! Thankyou!

Debate God21, what part of rochester?

don't remember, but, i'll ask her!

Lock-n-Load
10-30-04, 12:43 PM
:marine: Excellent response...excellent...you have your eyes wide open and typify the Fleet Marine Force warrior's mindset....to Proudone74....will you stop the skylarking BS in here and...when you do it...comeback and let us know!! :marine:...Thx again, SauerPJ