PDA

View Full Version : Monument To Nam Draft Dogers

jinelson
09-27-04, 02:46 PM
Nelson, British Columbia

NELSON, British Columbia (AP) -- There are plans for a bronze monument and a festival in Canada to honor US draft dodgers -- and many Americans aren't glad to hear it.

The project is called "Our Way Home." Its director says it was done to honor what he calls "the courageous legacy of Vietnam War resisters." He says it also pays tribute to Canadians who helped those Americans resettle in Canada when they fled the draft.

Officials in British Columbia say they've been flooded with angry phone calls and e-mails since the news spread about the memorial planned for 2006.

One local official says there's "no doubt that this has really struck a nerve."

Arial

thedrifter
09-27-04, 03:20 PM
This does not digest to well with me....

Ellie

marinemom
09-27-04, 04:40 PM
Struck "A" nerve???????

I have two words for the supporters of this "monument" and they are not "Merry Christmas", "Happy Halloween" or anything else like that..................

HardJedi
09-28-04, 06:57 PM
Lord. Maybe we should have memorials to the "courageous" smugglers who got prohibition repealed?

or a nice statue to Timothy McVeigh? for his taking a stand against something he didn't believe in?

The only memorial these deserters deserve is to have thier citizenship from the USA PERMANENTLY revoked, with NO chance of appeal.

They did nothing more than take advantage of the country of thier birth, and then proceed to abandon it out of cowardice when the going got tough.

they violated the social contract, and betrayed their fellow americans. nothing more.

(there is a special place in hell, in my opinion, for those who break faith):mad:

greensideout
09-28-04, 08:35 PM
All of you sure are hard on these young men who ran across the border.

After all, why should they serve to insure America's freedom when there were others that would do that for them.

Why should they give years of their lives in service to the country that gives them a chance to become near anything they wish to be.

Why should they have to pay with duty for their education, opportunity and a chance to fullfill their dreams.

Oh!---someone has to pay the price---That's why.

They are a bunch of free loading pieces of crap!

I wish that I could have some input to the design of the monument.

It might look mostly like a begger on the street with the words---"I gave nothing therefore I deserve nothing."

HardJedi
09-28-04, 08:52 PM
OHHHH!! I LOVE that line Greensideout! Wish they WOULD put it on there.

hrscowboy
09-28-04, 09:03 PM
i agree with you greensideout...

fulmetaljackass
09-28-04, 09:21 PM
Ya know....if they don't put that on there....I DID get busted for vandalism when I was a teenager! I know they probably wouldn't go as easy on a 30 year old, but I'm thinking about it!!

greensideout
09-29-04, 04:56 PM
War-resister tribute panned in the U.S.

The associated press, Sept. 29, 2004

SOPKANE Wash. -- A small Canadian town best known for it's tourist trade has drawn criticism for a proposed mamorial to the Vietnam draft dodgers who moved there three decades ago.

After threats of boycotts by people in the Spokane area and a call by the Veterans of Foreign Wars for Pesident Bush and Congress to pressure Canada to stop the project, civic leaders in Nelson, British Columbia, have distanced themselves from the idea.

End.

This comes as no surprise as we watch the civic leaders follow their stand on advercity as it comes near to them.
Their motto---Cut and Run.

Sparrowhawk
09-29-04, 05:11 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/images/138765/1_21_0920004_monument_canada_450.jpg

Larger-than-life monument depicting a Canadian helping two scared American men.

source (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16780&highlight=draft+dodgers)

yellowwing
09-29-04, 07:29 PM
If GWB gets re-elected, there will be many more.

I'll be a 39 year old rejoining, probably as a LCpl. Lake and Seely would be my fire team leaders!

Sparrowhawk
09-29-04, 07:37 PM
let them get their just reward

I think we should look up everyone of them that went to Canada and send them all replicas of the statue.

Didn't you notice that the figures in the statue don't have any balls.

SF

Cook

thedrifter
09-29-04, 07:48 PM
:eek:

You Marines always want details....;) :D

Ellie

Dale Glasscock
09-29-04, 08:08 PM
As a Sgt. at Marine Barracks Bremerton During Operation Homecoming 1973 I drove a Canadian missionary from Mchord AFB to Bremerton, Washington Naval Hospital. Listening to the debriefing along the way...I realized that there is a Canadian among us on earth that believes in democracy, and not draft dodgers, and also had balls. The Navy Commander that I drove next, also had balls. I expect that he does to this day even though not much is said about our POW's from Vietnam and how they stayed in touch with their oath throughout their captivity. SF, Dale:marine: :marine:

thedrifter
09-30-04, 07:59 AM
Canadian City Blocks Memorial to U.S. Draft Dodgers
Wed Sep 29, 7:16 PM ET

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - A Canadian community has blocked plans for a controversial memorial to Americans who fled to Canada to avoid the Vietnam War and U.S. military draft, officials said on Wednesday.

Peace activists wanted to build the memorial as part of a reunion celebration scheduled for 2006 in Nelson, a small city in the mountains of southeastern British Columbia, where many of the Vietnam-era draft dodgers eventually settled.

The proposal was denounced by the U.S. Veterans of Foreign Wars, and came as the issue of service in the military during Vietnam has become an emotional flashpoint in the U.S. presidential campaign.

Nelson's council passed a special resolution on Wednesday that would requires any memorial using public funds or being built on public lands to have "widespread community support."

"The Our Way Home monument does not meet this standard," the council said in a press release.

The veterans group and other U.S. critics of the plan had asked the White House to intervene, and threatened to organize an economic boycott of the Nelson area in the Kootenay Region, which has a significant tourism industry.

The Our Way Home group had already told city officials it was willing to locate the bronze sculpture somewhere else, but still planned to hold the peace gathering in July 2006.

The group said it wanted to honor both the U.S. citizens who moved to Canada, rather than serve in a war they politically opposed, and the Canadians who helped them build lives in a new country.

It has been estimated that 125,000 Americans fled to Canada to avoid Vietnam and prosecution under U.S. law, although about half returned home after President Jimmy Carter granted amnesty in 1997.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040929/wl_canada_nm/canada_life_draftdodgers_col_1

Ellie

greensideout
09-30-04, 07:45 PM
"President Jimmy Carter granted amnesty in 1997"???!!!

I could be wrong, but I think he was a "former President" by then.

Wrong President or wrong date?

Yes Ellie, "we Marines always want details.---lol

ivalis
09-30-04, 09:18 PM
Carter pardoned the draft dodgers in 1976.

Ford pardoned Nixon in 1974.

Who committed the greater crime????

HardJedi
09-30-04, 09:33 PM
CARTER! CARTER CARTER CARTER CARTER CARTER CARTER CARTER!

any questions?

besides, thats apples and oranges my friend. want a tough question?

The Nazis wiped out 6 million jews

The american government drove the native americans to the brink of extinction.

who commited the greater crime?

CAR
10-02-04, 02:15 AM
About the monument:
I am simply amazed that, not only did the Canadians make their "guy" bigger than the two "americans", but they got all that chicken sh1t to stick together so well.

lurchenstein
10-02-04, 01:20 PM
I'd be more impressed if they made monuments to muggers. Imagine a 25 foot tall bronze image of a strongarm bandit fleeing with a purse. I can't fathom how courage can be confused with cowardice.

yellowwing
10-02-04, 05:38 PM
"...got all that chicken sh1t to stick together so well."- LOL, I think with the a little B.S. salemenship you could talk some of these "Artisans" into using chicken sh1t, if you told them it was...

Johnwear
10-05-04, 02:14 PM
It's just another place to take a pi$$...just like "Hanoi" Jane's grave...as soon as she dies.

Semper Fidelis...John

vfm
10-05-04, 03:38 PM
Good Time to close our borders with Canada;right during the festival. That way we 'll get a 2nd chance to get rid of the unpatriotic trash!!!
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

HardJedi
10-05-04, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Johnwear
It's just another place to take a pi$$...just like "Hanoi" Jane's grave...as soon as she dies.

Now that DOES sound like a good idea. Seems there will be a couple of pilgramiges in my future

TracGunny
10-05-04, 04:23 PM
Seems there will be a couple of pilgramiges in my future ...just don't spend any money supporting the local economy...

yellowwing
10-05-04, 04:32 PM
I was thinking there would be a long line for that one! :banana:

jinelson
10-05-04, 04:45 PM
Great idea! I like it, it gives a whole new meaning to head call.